View Full Version : I don't know what to do...

tryingtosucceed
05-28-09, 02:23 PM
Hey, I'm Cody. I am 16 years old.

Story Time!

All throughout my life (6yrs - now), I have always been a wanderer. I would start brilliant project, essays, articles with great ideas -- but never finish them. School has always been hard. I've been quiet in class because I'm afraid of what I say will sound stupid. I can NEVER concenrate on anything. Doing physics, for example homework is torture. Reading a book for English? Even worse. I tend to stick to newspapers (local, nytimes) and magazines (new yorker, gq, wired) only. I want to do something "new" every two minutes it seems. Argh! I do poorly on standerized tests. I always wander off or lose focus on the passages and equations. In class, my retention and comprehension is not too good. In French, for example, we would take a quiz at the end of the period on Passe Compose and would still do bad on it, despite learning all of it that SAME period. Pop quizes? God help me. In terms of writing, I have great ideas. I just cannot, for the love of God, put it on paper.

I have friends -- but none are "close" friends by any stretch. I really don't know what to do. I just have this anxiety all the time -- always trying to succeed (hence my username) but never delivering on that. I've devoted myself to photography because I feel that I can channel communication better through that. I keep hearing that I'm really talented -- but I'd like more than just hearing that. I'd like to feel accepted. I want to speak out in groups. I want to be outgoing. I don't want to be that quiet kid in class who never talks -- and is labeled a weirdo because of it. I think my ADD has exacerbated my social problems and my inability to focus and to feel accomplished for once.

I'm pretty sure I have ADD (inattentive). My mom doesn't believe in ADD, and thinks it's a discipline problem -- which infuriates me. She has no idea what it's like to live through this every day. My forgetfulness of doing chores and my quiet, isolated self has caused numerous fights between us. I finally convinced her to take me to our family physician. I'm going to our family physician this Monday for a "preliminary evaluation," whatever that means...

If my doctor determines I have ADD, will she immediately start me on Ritalin or Adderall? or will she just refer me to someone else -- further delaying the process? I do hope she puts me on medication. I don't know how I can take this anymore.

Yeah, so there's my emotional sob story. Please don't think I'm THAT emo. I just have ADD. I hope... Do you guys have any suggestions or a plan of action that would help me? Thanks guys.

:)

Oh, and please tell me how medication has affected you? Adderall, Ritalin, etc? That would be greatly appreciated.
<!-- / message -->

samtux
05-30-09, 07:03 PM
WOW ! I know just where your at school being torture never doing that well in exams always needing something new to do and never finishing a thing, a mum that thinks your just lazy !

Its me too :)

All i can say is try and get a diagnosis go and see your doc and tell him u think u have ADD and then explain why with examples (make a list if it helps) this way if u can back up what u are saying ur doc wont just think your after meds.

I have been trying for months now and still not seen anyone other than my gp :( i do have a referal tho :) im in the uk so things are slower over here ppl tend to side with the add is a myth camp !!

Anyway......Good luck and try to get a diagnosis you stand to loose nothing and gain a lot.

Sam

wifeandmom
06-01-09, 10:12 PM
Hi Cody. I don't have ADHD, but my 18 year old daughter does. The level of screening you get from a pediatrician can vary greatly. I switched doctors when my kids were in elementary school because their doctor didn't "believe" in ADHD, even though my daughter had been diagnosed by a reputable child psychiatrist. You will probably fill out a brief survey and your mom or dad will too. With elementary school age kids, the doctor typically has a survey for the teacher to complete. I don't know if they do that for teens. Just answer the questions to the best of your ability.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope you find answers that are helpful.

Saint Valentine
06-04-09, 07:10 PM
Well, first of all, your description literally reads like the symptom list for ADD or impulsive ADHD to me. However, I'm not a doctor, and I also don't know you personally.

Concerning medication, if your doctor decides that you're right and that medication is necessary, you'll probably get a prescription there.

Finally, you wanted to know about the drugs. First of all, while Ritalin is the most well-known treatment, doctors have all but stopped prescribing Ritalin because people, especially teens and younger kids, experience major side effects (depression is what I've heard most about). Instead now doctors prefer to give people amphetamines such as Vyvanse or Adderall, because they last longer and the side effects aren't quite as bad. I've taken Adderall and Vyvanse, and both worked. However, that's me. Your doctor knows more than I do, and knows you better. If they give you Ritalin, it's because they think it's best for you. Everyone responds differently to medication.

If you don't get medication, there isn't much you can do to help with school. However, I have noticed that if you REALLY need to finish your homework, wait until late at night when you're calmer, and the house is usually silent and free of distractions. Then try it. If this doesn't work the first time, don't waste energy trying it again.

TheColorOfSleep
07-18-09, 12:03 PM
I can relate 95% to everything you said. The only difference for me was that I generally do well on tests, as information just randomly sticks to my brain (I'm lucky) and I can get a good test mark without putting any effort into it. It's likely your doctor will diagnose you with it, and you'll probably get started on a low dose of ritalin. You'll probably work up to a higher dose, and if still doesn't seem to work you might get switched to adderall. Besides getting medicated I would definitely recommend some sort of therapy. Using both in combination is much better than using just one.

Good luck, man. I'm only one step ahead of you, I've just started medication about a month ago and I'm trying to get into a mental health program of sorts to help me out.