View Full Version : Help with meds/8yr old

Dfonda
05-30-09, 11:56 AM
We have been on Concerta 18 mg extended release for about a year now and have been fine until recently my son gets terrible when withdrawal from his meds in the afternoon. I talked to his Dr. and he prescribed a booster dose of 5mg Focalin in the afternoon also. Anyone have any experience with this?? It seems to be working but I just worry about his appetite cause that is when he usually eats is at night. Would it work to increase his dose of Concerta during the day. My other concern is that he gets really aggressive with these episodes if I dont give him the booster dose. We are still kinda new to this, one other experienced mom asked if he was on zoloft also and said that it would help with the withdrawal symptoms. I dont really want him on a whole lot of medicines though. Any thoughts or suggestions??

FullTimeMom
05-31-09, 01:43 PM
Maybe its time for a new ADHD medication. Sometimes the first med isnt always the answer.

MGDAD
06-01-09, 02:02 PM
How old is your son? The 5mg booster dose in the afternoon is a common technique to deal with the rebound in the afternoon. Has your son grown much? Maybe the 18mg is not a big enough dose now. As far as the zoloft, it is not generally prescribed for ADHD rebound.