View Full Version : Just needing a friend who understands

nobody
06-01-09, 03:03 AM
I'm a female in my mid-twenties. I'm happily engaged (for close to 5 years now) and just recently explained my Tourette's to my fiance.

He has been so sweet and understanding, but I still find myself extremely embarrassed and uncomfortable about it. I am open with him when he asks me questions, but I tic like crazy after he walks away because it makes me uptight.

I have spent the majority of my life trying to hide my tics. I've had
difficulties with everything from jobs to college because of my tics.

Want to know the funniest part?
My fiance swears he never noticed the tics. He said he has noticed a few things about me that he thought were "just me", such as wrinkling my nose or saying "uh huh". I guess I'm better at hiding it than I thought.

Anyway, I just recently became a mom and I'm in the process of going back to work (and hating the thought of it). The bills are mounting and I have no choice, and to make a long story short, my verbal tics are getting really bad. It's making it hard to even catch my breath at times because I tic so badly until just the right sound comes out of my throat, then I get about 10 seconds of relief before the next one starts.

I'm just looking for a friend to email sometimes. I want to talk to someone who understands. I am depressed and worried and these tics are just getting so bad. Going to my doctor is out of the question at the moment because of lack of money.

Having Tourette's and hiding it from the world can be really lonely sometimes. Anyone else feel the same? :confused:
I'd love to talk to someone who does.

Thanks!

Krob189
06-07-09, 09:37 AM
Hello! I am 17 and was diagnosed with TS at age 4 My tics were terrible growing up. i was on loads of TS medication and was very insecure about it. i always thought people noticed my tics but in truth no one really did. At age 16 i stopped taking all medication and am doing perfectly fine! The truth about TS is most people will out grow it! you will have a permanent 2-3 tics. I am engaged and i told my fiancee all about it i was insecure and worried but her mother is a nurse and told her all about it, she didnt even notice my blinking tic or my shoulder rolling tic.

But as a kid in middle school my TS was defiantly a probally i also felt alone, depressed even started abusing pills, became a addict to pain killers at age 15. but i am perfectly clean and loving life now! I may be a little younger than you but I am pretty sure I know what your going threw if you need someone to email pick me

Timborama
06-20-09, 04:08 PM
Many will partly outgrow TS. Some will completely outgrow it. Some will continue to suffer, in varying degree.

It's not responsible to imply that people might get better if they stop their medicine. That might happen once in a blue moon, particularly if medicine was inappropriately prescribed in the first place.

Taking multiple psychiatric meds is tricky business at best. It's better to take just one at a time, if possible. That way, you know exactly how your medicine affects you. If one just doesn't work, two is better than three, and so on. With many meds, it becomes very difficult, and perhaps impossible, to know which ones are helping, which ones are useless, and which ones are causing problem side effects.

If your tics stopped around the time you discontinued your meds, it was probably a coincidence.

T

Hello! I am 17 and was diagnosed with TS at age 4 My tics were terrible growing up. i was on loads of TS medication and was very insecure about it. i always thought people noticed my tics but in truth no one really did. At age 16 i stopped taking all medication and am doing perfectly fine! The truth about TS is most people will out grow it!