View Full Version : Is this real or urban myth???

penguin
06-03-09, 11:07 AM
Hi,
I keep seeing references to payments to docs for scripting expensive drugs and changing us away from cheap adderall etc just to make themselves a buck. So if this is happening, how much do they get for selling their integrity and our best interests?????
Thanks...

I figure there is an office manager or doc that was offended by them that might answer up.

APSJ
06-03-09, 01:34 PM
There are all kinds of pressures on doctors when it comes to prescribing medications, but I'd like to think most value their professionalism enough to resist. That said, I'm sure it has an influence.

It works both ways...I've never heard of doctors being paid to prescribe expensive name-brand drugs, but a quick google search revealed a bunch of articles about doctors being paid by insurance companies to keep patients off such expensive drugs. Here's one:
http://biz.yahoo.com/wallstreet/080124/sb120114138064112219_id.html?.v=1,

The pressure from pharmaceutical companies to prescribe their new name-brand drugs is a bit more subtle. If you know a doctor in any field, you likely know that they have a huge number of pens(and not cheap plastic ones, fancy metal ones), business card cases, highlighters, notepades, etc. with the names of new name-brand drugs on them. The drug companies have employees whose job it is to go around giving out these things along with information about the new drug, and sometimes samples or sample coupons for them to give to their patients. I've even heard of them taking doctors out for meals.(although I'm not sure this is true).

In addition, like most professionals, doctors have some continuing education requirements. Many of the course which they can take to satisfy these requirements are sponsored by the drug companies to educate doctors about the benefits of new medications.

I'm sure some of this seeps through, but at the same time, doctors(one hopes) aren't idiots, and know why they're being given these things, and know that the pharmaceutical company representative is not there to be objective. I've heard of some doctors barring them from their offices, and others who don't having very negative opinions of them.

Annwn
06-03-09, 03:26 PM
I am curious as to the mechanism that a drug company would have to know just how much a doctor prescribed their particular drug.

Most of the time, the doc writes the scrip and you go off somewhere and fill it. Unless the pharma people do some kind of back end reporting?

"Dear Shystre Drug Inc., I am please to report that we have filled 23 prescriptions for "Grinatol" from Dr. Feelgoodish this week! Please credit his account and let him know that he is only 134 scrip redemptions from his free hooker and steak dinner.

How would this supposed "kick back" scheme work?

APSJ
06-03-09, 03:35 PM
I am curious as to the mechanism that a drug company would have to know just how much a doctor prescribed their particular drug.

Most of the time, the doc writes the scrip and you go off somewhere and fill it. Unless the pharma people do some kind of back end reporting?

Good point. Insurance companies pay for the medicine, so they know what was prescribed. Pharmaceutical companies have no legitimate means of accessing that knowledge.

If a doctor or pharmacy were giving the companies proof of the number of prescriptions, without the written consent of each patient, I'm pretty sure they'd be violating the law, as well as their rules of professional conduct.

PedroDaGr8
06-10-09, 02:51 PM
It is not uncommon for drug reps to buy the office food. I know as I have delivered pizza for drug reps to a local clinic. They would order around 200 in pizza and drinks etc. Not sure about actually taking the doctor out though.

As for pharmacists sharing the information, that would be a violation of HIPPA. HIPPA is very very strict on who can see what information and who can't.

Hoshi
06-10-09, 03:11 PM
"Dear Shystre Drug Inc., I am please to report that we have filled 23 prescriptions for "Grinatol" from Dr. Feelgoodish this week! Please credit his account and let him know that he is only 134 scrip redemptions from his free hooker and steak dinner.
Lmao!

Anyway, no, they don't get paid for these subscriptions. It's illegal, and one could lose their license to practice medicine - and that's years of hard work and hundreds of thousand of dollars of tuition down the hole.

Yeah, drug reps bring food and whatnot to the offices and supply them with pens, notepads, and stuff like that. But the MAIN service they do (that is a good thing!!) is tell the docs about new drugs. New drugs come out every day, so these drug reps let them know about how to drug actually works. I actually saw 2 come into my pdoc's office and they gave her some samples and free script voucher cards to give out, then gave her a run down of the medicine, telling her exactly how it worked.

So they do preform a valuable service, in a way. Despite what some people say, most doctors do want what's best for their patient. That being said, there's good doctors and bad doctors...