View Full Version : Frequency of Dr Visits

MGDAD
06-03-09, 01:14 PM
How often do you take your kids to the Dr. Both of my kids see a physician who specializes in psychopharmalogic medications. I am not sure if I have that right. Anyway, he only sees kids with mental health issues. We have been taking our kids every 3 months, but the younger one is now very stable and only takes a 5mg Lexipro and it works great. Did a trial without it last summer and things went bad quickly. I want to switch her to annual visits unless something comes up. Is there any sort of medical standard to the frequency of visits when a child is on medication?

He is very good and has implied that he needs to see them every three months, but it is expensive and he is not in my insurance network.

ADHD Hunter
06-03-09, 02:45 PM
For ADHD meds, my kids need to get to there prescribing psychiatrist each month (NYS will only allow prescriptions for 30 days of doses). As issues arise we have gone more often.

Additionally, one of the kids is seeing a psychologist weekly for cognitive behavioral therapy.

Insurance pays a very small fraction. Between Dr's, meds, travel and time, it is quite an investment.

- Chris

MGDAD
06-03-09, 05:40 PM
Wow every month is quite a lot. I think the 30 day thing is a federal thing. However, my physician will mail prescriptions to my home in between visits. Although lately with my new insurance they will fill 90 day prescriptions by mail. Even for the schedule 2 narcotics.

Justtess
06-03-09, 07:36 PM
My son visits his psych doc every month. If we have an emergency or need to change meds, we can usually see him in a few days

elizadoo47
06-03-09, 07:56 PM
When my teen child was on Prozac with her first psych she had a full evaluation the first month, put on a script for Prozac, and had a 2 week follow-up. After that she had a month's follow up. After that it was a 2 month follow-up, and from then on, 1 session of 15 minutes every 3 months. This was pre-ADD diagnosis.

Her new psych is trying out different meds (no more Prozac involved). He asks to see her every month, but if something comes up while trying the different meds, he sees her sooner. He did tell me that once she is established on the meds (it looks like Focalin is going to be the med of choice, she is happy with it) he would not have to see her every month. HOWEVER, he did say a parent would have to personally pick up the 30-day script in his office every month, or he would mail it to our home. This is a federal law for a controlled substance.

Daughter does see a psych for counseling every week (cognitive therapy) as well as a group therapy session for another issue once a week. However, I do believe that as daughter matures--which is happening quite rapidly now with the aid of the med--and as her frontal cortex devleops and she learns more coping skills, she will be able to cut down on the therapy. We have seen some pretty impressive improvement with the aid of the Focalin. With teens I think some of the problem is just being a teen, which is resolved with time.

Justtess
06-03-09, 09:23 PM
elizadoo -- it sounds like things are turning around for you and your daughter. I remember reading your post and feeling just like you did... so I'm glad things are working out. These teen years are so chaotic it seems like my teen hit many checkmarks in various catagories.

Lady Lark
06-03-09, 09:26 PM
We saw/see the doctors far more often when a new med is added, or there is a med change. Once things are good, we have follow up's that are every 3-4 months, depending on the doc. Even being on stimulant medication that requires a new script every month I can call and get one if we're between visits.

wifeandmom
06-04-09, 06:46 AM
DD's pediatrician used to prescribe her meds. I had to pick up the prescription every month, but the pedi only wanted to see her if there was a problem. Now that DD is a teen with other issues, we switched to a psychiatrist (a DO, rather than an MD). He requires monthly med check visits.

neon600
06-04-09, 10:22 AM
Mine goes to counseling once a week every week, for the past year her psychiatrist appts were every two weeks like clock work for med purposes as well as raging issues, been a long road, and still not stable, of course being 12 and hormonal does not help.