View Full Version : are any antidepressants truly non sedating

hollywood
06-09-09, 10:22 AM
are there really any antidepressants that primarily work against generalized anxiety that are not sedating? I don't think one exist, if one does it's in the approval process, I hear there is one that starts with a v in france ...not sure. What about effexor or pristiq ? Are they sedating.

γ-quantum
06-10-09, 07:05 AM
i have tried an NRI, an SSRI, and tricyclics. the first was 'okay' but still sedating and making me tired, the SRI and tricyclics made me so tired, sedated and even ANGRY, it was crazy.

so, my answer is "not that i know of / from what i have tried".

well, except for St. John's wort and 5-HTP, but that didnt really have much of any effect on me either...

Driver
06-10-09, 07:41 AM
Lexapro doesn't sedate me.

hollywood
06-10-09, 03:57 PM
I took lexapro for one day, it's nothing to reference anything valid concerning the benefits of how this drug would act or facilitate me in the long run, but I felt completely retarded and did not feel much like myself. I am not depressed , I am just looking for something to even out the kinks and give me a more smooth level of focus when my stims are in gear.

APSJ
06-10-09, 04:06 PM
I took prozac for many years, and didn't find it at all sedating, but it also didn't give me any of the effects you're looking for.

hollywood
06-10-09, 04:52 PM
the only effect would be a smoother more level realm of focus. I am not depressed but hyperfocus when I'm bored or when my stims are tapering down regarding therapeutic benefits. I previously thought maybe an antidepressant could be beneficial as an adjunct to help give me a smoother or calmer level of focus but I think I could be wrong. I haven't stuck with any of them , they all kind of make me feel out of it, so far cymbalta was the best early on, but honestly maybe nothing will help my adhd level off when the meds are wearing off, the only thing that may help actually is to increase my stim dose when needed. When I'm bored, I'll google anything, kind of annoying thats all

scarygreengiant
06-10-09, 07:44 PM
are there really any antidepressants that primarily work against generalized anxiety that are not sedating? I don't think one exist, if one does it's in the approval process, I hear there is one that starts with a v in france ...not sure. What about effexor or pristiq ? Are they sedating.

I've heard that Effexor is very non-sedating but I've never taken it myself. Good luck.

hollywood
06-12-09, 08:26 AM
I'm basically waiting on many others with pristiq experience for adhd for adhd worry and anxiety. I want to know what the startup is like and if the side effects like vision changes and sleepiness subside, tough to acess with good validity living in allergy central in June.

hollywood
06-15-09, 02:12 PM
how about an answer

willwill30
06-15-09, 02:35 PM
Over the past decade I have tried Paxil, Effexor, and Lexapro, and I can't say that I noticed any effect from any of them (except the Paxil which made me nauseated).

When I was in my teens I tried Tofranil and I remember it making me extremely sleepy, I could sleep 12 hours easily.

ideaman
06-15-09, 02:55 PM
I took Effexor (Pristiq is pretty much the same thing) briefly. 75mg ER. From day four I experienced my anxiety disappear (in fact this made me realize how much anxiety I had been suffering from in the first place.) I stopped taking Effexor in about three weeks from then due to sexual side effects and an occasional weird memory problem, but I don't remember it being sedating, if anything, it may have caused a sleeping problem. If you want to try it, I'd suggest starting with just 35mg ER and see if it deals with the anxiety you're fighting.

hollywood
06-15-09, 04:22 PM
I'm so fed up with my anxiety , its not panic but its more like time killing rumination that is generated from boredom. I fear the withdraw but screw it , I'm better than this and I hear that effexor -pristiq are far better for adhd for these issues without the sedation. I am starting per my docs rx with pristiq and taking 1/4 a tablet for the first week for startup , maybe thats too low?

willwill30
06-15-09, 06:26 PM
I'm so fed up with my anxiety , its not panic but its more like time killing rumination that is generated from boredom.

I know how you feel. I don't have panic attacks very often, and most my anxiety is just constant worry about things that I shouldn't even worry about. My anxiety gets my acid reflux flared up and then I'm even more miserable. It seems to come and go in spells, I'll go for a couple of months without being anxious, and then all of a sudden it comes from nowhere and lasts for weeks.

scarygreengiant
06-15-09, 08:52 PM
I'm so fed up with my anxiety , its not panic but its more like time killing rumination that is generated from boredom. I fear the withdraw but screw it , I'm better than this and I hear that effexor -pristiq are far better for adhd for these issues without the sedation. I am starting per my docs rx with pristiq and taking 1/4 a tablet for the first week for startup , maybe thats too low?

I feel your pain. I experience a LOT of rumination. Sorry I don't have any helpful drug advice. What has been most helpful for me so far is therapy. It's not just touchy feely stuff. There's ample evidence showing that CBT can change your brain chemistry for the better. Good luck.

hollywood
06-15-09, 10:23 PM
true , but the boredom factor at my job byfar may surpass my ability to have good efficacy with cbt, although I don't dismiss it's use or possibility. I think I may startup with half the pill of pristiq , quarters are too tough to split

hollywood
06-16-09, 04:10 PM
anyways today I am working on my first day on pristiq , it gave me some startup anxiety but I definitely felt a little calmer overall and wasn't feeling too edgy , confidence was up. I wonder if the physical anxiety is just temporary , I didn't take my wellbutrin, I think that would have been too much

DeLL
06-16-09, 04:14 PM
I was on Zoloft and didn't feel any sedation.

hollywood
06-16-09, 04:41 PM
well my first day and I really haven't felt sedation surprisingly ... I little anxiety if anything. Definitely has given me more energy and drive if anything, finally I haven't been sitting and moping all day, which is good. Been able to transition thoughts easier too.... I guess I have been stuck in a mood and never realized thats part of depression...Sucks for me!

hollywood
06-17-09, 11:39 AM
pristiq second day, quite a bit more sedated than yesterday but not horrible . I'm not really focused at all but I'm not really scattered all that much either , I am somewhere in the middle . Some people just told me that all ssri's and snri's don't work well for adhd , so much for food for thought. I can say at this point wellbutrin works better but 2 days is hardly time to evaluate pristiq.

hollywood
07-17-09, 03:47 PM
Any success with pristiq , finally after vacation I'm going to be able to give it a shot.