View Full Version : Dinner party

A1A5KA
06-13-09, 06:23 PM
Help! I invited a three friends over for dinner. We get together every so often, that's nothing new. But this will be the first time I've actually had them at my house for dinner instead of going out to a restaurant.

Please please help me come up with some ideas for dinner! Two problems: first, one of my guests is allergic to milk. Second, when I usually cook (for myself), it usually involves the words 'add water', 'stir' and 'microwave' !! Any ideas for quick and simple recipes for 3-4 people that don't use milk? (BTW, the dinner isn't for a week, so I have time to go buy ingredients!)

One idea I had...I remember someone telling me about a dish that involved putting chicken breasts in a baking pan with rice, cream of onion soup, and water. But I don't remember how much soup, how much rice, how much water, or how long to cook it on what heat. Does anyone know that recipe?

Thanks!!!

Amy

stillfightin
06-13-09, 06:29 PM
How about some BBQ??

novagal
06-13-09, 07:05 PM
Pasta! Its the easiest - get a really good store bought sauce, and some parmesan that you can grate yourself to serve with. A simple salad with a good Italian dressing, and a couple of baguettes from the local bakery, and you're ready to go!

You can even get something like portabello stuffed ravioli (or whatever flavor) in the fancy part of the grocery store that you only have to cook for like 5-6 minutes - it's really tasty!

Simple is always better in my book.

Turbochica
07-01-09, 12:03 PM
Another simple pasta dish
Fresh cheese tortelinnis, alfredo sauce fresh broccoli chopped ham 1/2 to 3/4 lb can be a ham steak or sliced deli meat. Fresh parmesan

Cook tort, warm alfredo with diced meat - bite size suace in microwave
The last couple of minutes quickly drop broccoli in to

cook drain add sauce and sprinkle fresh parmesan over serve with salad and bread - make crunchy bread ital loaf cut in half buttered and then a lil bit of shredded mozzerelaa sprinkled on it broil in oven til light brown and cheese melts

Turbochica
07-01-09, 04:27 PM
Ok I totally missed the NO MIL

Another idea:
Baked salmon with a honey dill glaze

Sounds hard but isn't mix the glaze slather it on the salmon and grill or bake. If that sounds good I canpost the recipe, then a simple salad, maybe rice and a veggie? Rolls beverage and viola a meal :)

Another simple pasta dish
Fresh cheese tortelinnis, alfredo sauce fresh broccoli chopped ham 1/2 to 3/4 lb can be a ham steak or sliced deli meat. Fresh parmesan

Cook tort, warm alfredo with diced meat - bite size suace in microwave
The last couple of minutes quickly drop broccoli in to

cook drain add sauce and sprinkle fresh parmesan over serve with salad and bread - make crunchy bread ital loaf cut in half buttered and then a lil bit of shredded mozzerelaa sprinkled on it broil in oven til light brown and cheese melts

Suz57
06-13-10, 11:16 PM
A super easy recipe is as follows:

1 1/2 lbs (approximately) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (can be cut into bite size pieces)
1 can of: Campbell's Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery soups
1 cup of instant rice
shredded cheddar

Pour soups and uncooked rice into baking dish. Add chicken. Stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Spread cheddar on top and cook for another 10 or so minutes. Voila!

The only problem is whether the "cream of..." soups have milk in them. Obviously- leave out the cheese for those allergic.

FrazzleDazzle
06-13-10, 11:30 PM
Taco bars or potato bars are fun for people, then they can put together a variety of things from what you have available to choose from, and it's fun to see what your friends do with the ingredients!

I have a recipe for the chicken dish, it's called Chicken-no-peak, is very easy, adaptable, and yummy. But it does use the canned soups that have dairy ingredients, but you could probably leave that out and substitute an equal amount of liquid, rice, almond, soy milk, or veggie or chicken broth for the soup and be just as fine.

1 pound or 2 cups raw rice
2 cans cream-of-whatever soups (chicken, mushroom, brocolli, etc)
As an adaptation, you can also add a little chopped onion and/or celery to the mix, optional
1 soup can full of liquid (broth, canned veggie liquid, water, or one of the milk substitutes I mentioned above)
1 envelope onion soup mix
3 pounds chicken pieces (you can use breast only, legs, thighs, or a mix of them all)

Mix all ingredients in a 9 x 13 cake pan. Lay the chicken pieces on top. Seal the pan with foil and bake 350 degrees for 2 hours, an don't peak! :-)

Song of Mercy
06-14-10, 03:09 AM
I vote for the taco bar, and since I was born in Alaska that has to mean something...lol.

You ladies are amazing, so many cool ideas!