View Full Version : Any one interested in starting a reading group?

Nucking_Futs
04-26-04, 10:37 AM
Wasn't real sure were to put this one.

But, I've wondered if anyone would be interested in starting a reading group of sort's? There are a lot of new book's out there and they are being missed because they come out almost daily. I thought that we could give a basic description of the book's we have read that have helped us deal with ADD and other illness's.

Right now I'm reading The Stressed Child and am getting ton's of information on how to help my son. I've been taking notes and will start a basic run down of the book tommorrow in this thread if your interested.

E-boy
04-26-04, 01:08 PM
I am reading "ADD and Success" and "ADD in the WorkPlace" Both by the same author. Dr. Weiss.

One of the unusual things in her books is that she maintains a good many more positives associated with ADHD on the physical side than I am used to hearing about. Some of her data directly conflicts with other published Data, so now I am very interested in finding her sources for certain assertions. I tend to think, it is largely a contextual conflict, but just the same I like to resolve these little questions or they niggle at me until I'm nuts. Good books so far.

On the non-self help front, I'm reading "I have landed". Stephen Jay Gould's last compilation of essays before his death in 2002. He was perhaps the most famous evolutionary biologist of our time. I find his essays about science and how we do science to be quite useful, to me anyway in how I look at things like ADD research.

I am also reading Stephen Pinker's "The Blank Slate". Stephen Pinker is a psychologist and professor of cognitive studies at MIT. He is one of the foremost experts on how the human brain works, and specifically on the nuerophysiology of language. "The Blank Slate" is about innate human nature. The modern denial of it, and the various effects society's denial of such things can have. You know, things like marginalizing ADDers as having a disorder when we don't. Stephen Pinker is a unique scientist in that he is not stuffy at all, will swear when necessary to make a point (and quite humorously in an older book of his called "The Language Instinct" demonstrating definite grammitic rules of english dialects often viewed as being "undisciplined" by comparing "Phili-****ing-delphia" ,a correct construction under the rules of that dialect, with "Philidel-****ing-phia", which clearly sounds wrong. Sorry, maybe it's not funny to you, but I laughed my *** off.) I feel this book is also relevant to us in a very general sense.

These last two books are both well written prose, aimed at the public, and just plain great reads. However, while I personally do gain something from them in my day to day life, not everyone will see things the way I do. They aren't self help, but they do provide, for me, what are deep insights into both, what it is to be human, and into the kinds of mistakes society and science makes on a regular basis.

For those who haven't figured out where I stand on belief systems, I am an atheist, and I believe in descent with modification (Darwin refused to use the word evolution until his later work, "On the Descent of Man" because the entymology of the word implies unrolling something to reveal an already determined design, which Darwin didn't care for because natural selection is neither directional nor progressive except as regards particular local environmental conditions and those change somewhat randomly over time. His populizers chose the word evolution because they could not bear to give up the idea of human beings as uniquely special, gifted, and as having a unique destiny among creatures. So, a word like evolution, implying a natural progression towards perfection suited them fine.).

This nation, is not the only christian nation on planet earth. Europe is people with a great many very conservative predominantly christian cultures. This nation is, however, the only one on planet earth among the developed nations, that is has not accepted evolution as a reality. There are no rock solid facts in science. However, the evidence, barring direct observation as no humans existed in deep time to observe said events and certainly none of us did, is overwhelming, and if direct observation be a requirement for qualifying something as factual, then I move we strike Julius Ceasar from the curriculum too, along with most history, for none of us were alive to witness any of that either, and there is certainly far more solid evidence of evolution, than of Julius Ceasars existence.

The reason there is no uber-conservative creationist movement in europe in analog to our own is because they know that science and religion occupy entirely different domains. No fact of human nature as illuminated by science is going to disprove God's existence. Nor is it going to lend itself well to establishing morality. It will lend itself to understanding human history, and behavior. Morals, and ethics are the firm domain of philosophy and religion. Evolution cannot provide these things. A fact that Darwin, with courage characteristic of his person, acknowledged in his writing.

I say all of this because one does not have to abandon faith in God to embrace a more intimate knowledge of this wondrous web of life around us.

I have been deeply reconsidering my religious position, of late. Precisely because of these wonders. That's right, a belief in evolutionary biology, producing enough of a sense of wonder and spirituality to once again think of that which is greater than myself and eternal. Who knew eh?! Hardly what you'd expect from the feared "belief killer" among us. I guess that's why they aren't making a fuss in europe. Because this needn't affect their faith, or overall beliefs. Merely a few details in a belief system that has taken a few corrections of this nature before without falling apart.

E-boy
04-26-04, 01:12 PM
Sorry, One of the Essays in Mr. Gould's book that I just finished was devoted to the creationist versus evolution debate ongoing in this country. Mr. Gould, by the way, is Jewish, and I am geussing he practiced his faith. I say this because he makes no bones whatever about the fact that these are two different domains entirely and both important, and enriching to humanity.

Nucking_Futs
04-26-04, 08:45 PM
E-boy I alway's find your post's enlightening and I honestly believe there is no reason you cannot believe in evolution and have a personal form of spirituality. It's important that everyone is respectful of other's belief's and I have alway's seen you be curtious to those around you in this case.

I believe everyone need's to reassess their belief's and their basic living situation every now and then. I trully believe we have to explore and learn from history to not repeat it. And I'm really going somewere here but it's just not coming to me right now lol. I'll finish in the morning.

The first two book's you mentioned are on their way to our library. Luckily I have a librarian that will move heaven and earth to make material available if it's asked for. I think it would be highly interesting to discuss the books.

krisp
04-26-04, 09:17 PM
I'd be interested in doing the reading group. It would be fun to discuss a book not involving trains or construction equipment!

Wheezie
04-27-04, 10:07 AM
ADD In The Workplace: Choices, Changes, And Challenges by Kathleen G. Nadeau

or,

A.D.D. on the Job: Making Your A.D.D. Work for You by Lynn Weiss, Ph.D.

I found and ordered A.D.D. and success by Lynn Weiss, Ph.D.

Thanks for starting this thread. i read a lot and it can be helpful to stop, reflect and share. Maybe I'll even end up retaining some of this information! ;)