View Full Version : I Need a Confidence Booster

Butterflyspit
06-18-09, 05:01 PM
I have ADD and Social Anxiety.

The social anxiety could be described as a total lack of confidence or an overwhelming fear of looking stupid.

I know some meds can help with confidence. Anyone have any experience with meds that boost confidence (probably as a side effect), so that I can talk to my doctor about them?

casual80
06-19-09, 12:16 AM
i'm interested to know as well

Driver
06-19-09, 01:16 AM
Confidence comes from the lack of anxiety and emotional resiliency. Anything that makes you feel less anxious will increase your confidence.

Butterflyspit
06-20-09, 07:16 PM
You can't separate the two that way. Lack of confidence leads to anxiety about making a fool of one's self, or doing, or saying something wrong, but reducing anxiety does not necessarily boost confidence.

For example, the benzodiazepines decrees anxiety, but they do not boost my confidence at all. In fact, they do the opposite because they make me sluggish and slow-witted. I might not feel like I'm going to puke when I speak to someone, but I'm even less convinced that I'm going to make a good impression.

LbI.
07-23-09, 11:09 PM
I have a friend with social anxiety disorder, so much that he puked before his high school graduation. He was prescribed Effexor XR, I don't think a benzo would help in the confidence booster as said above.

livinginchaos
07-23-09, 11:17 PM
confidence (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68545)

Confidence isn't something you can get from a pill. You have to believe in yourself.
Check out the link above, there is a thread much like the one you started.

pADDyjay
07-24-09, 01:42 AM
I agree with livingingchaos' post

person2person
07-26-09, 01:50 PM
amphetamines do it for me.

but i'm pretty self confident anyways. if you have anxiety issues amphetamines will probably, like anything else, help for a week. then you'll be worse off than when you started.

for the general public SSRI's are really great for self confidence, they are usually first line treatment for anxiety disorders as they don't cause the same problems that benzodiazepines do. benzos are good for panic disorder or absolutely uncontrollable GAD, but for Social Anxiety an anti-depressant is your best bet imo... but those come with more problems than they bring benefits in my opinion (sex drive, diarrhea blah blah)

PinK~Cloud
07-27-09, 04:01 PM
a long acting benzo like valium or klonopin helped me immensely when i went off to college. i had the confidence (most likely due to lack on inhibitions) to get into the top fraternity at my school. unfortunately tho, as other have said, what goes up must come down, and when i quit my anti anxiety meds all together, i became reclusive and quiet.