View Full Version : Advice about Getting Disability?

Butterflyspit
06-18-09, 06:47 PM
I don't know if this is the best forum to post this. Let me know if it should be somewhere else.

I have very bad Social Anxiety and ADD. I'm nonfunctional. I haven't worked in 5 years, and only sporadically before that. I have no social support. No family. No close friends.

My father left me an investment to live off of, he thought, for the rest of my life (if I lived really, really cheaply). I lost most of it when the market crashed last year there isn't enough to support me anymore. I'm running out of time.

I know people can get Social Security Disability for psychological disorders, but when I finally managed to get the paperwork done a years ago, I was denied. A couple years later I applied again, denied again, and this time the evil witch at the SS office wrote a note that if I can take care of my dog, I can get a job. (evil, evil woman).

I need help. I can't do this alone. I need an advocate, someone to help me through the endless red tape, to keep me from giving up, getting lost in the mess, getting overwhelmed, etc. I need someone who knows the ins and outs of this crazy system and can help me fill out the paperwork, see the right doctors, say the right words. I can't keep track of it all. I can't understand it. I can't stick with it. I can't talk to people. I have ADD and SA for Christ's sake, how am I supposed to get through the process?! If anyone knows of any organization that will help someone like me get Social Security Disability, please let me know. You can also instant message me if it's too personal to post.

kattsqueen
06-18-09, 11:26 PM
hi honey it is tough and takes time... there is help on line available..It is my understanding that there are consultants out there who for a portion of your back pay will assist you in the application process....Attorneys can do the same thing but they wont work as hard in my experience...google for social security disability consultants in your area also google for help in applying for social security disability. I can give you some hints but since i am untreated add also it would be kinda hard for me to do it for you.. hope you understand you can pm me if you like and maybe i can help you get started
katts
ps i am on disability and do know quite a bit about the process
when i worked at mental health it was my job to help clients in the process
as a caseworker

Ill check back for message katts

Butterflyspit
06-20-09, 07:15 PM
Thank you, Katts. I will search for advocates, and if I can muster the courage, I might pm you too. You're very kind. Thank you. I hope you get help for your ADD.

kattsqueen
06-24-09, 11:00 PM
butterfly i have received help. Just the knowledge that i am not crazy lazy or stupid has given me a whole new level of understanding to my condition,
its true my memory could be better. I could get help in getting organised if i took meds perhaps but nothing is going to help me more than figuring out it wasnt my fault did!!
katts

pADDyjay
06-24-09, 11:14 PM
Butterfly...if you have a pdoc...they should be able to help you with your disability paperwork...try them first...keep us posted...good luck:)

Maurice
06-25-09, 12:18 AM
Thank you, Katts. I will search for advocates, and if I can muster the courage, I might pm you too. You're very kind. Thank you. I hope you get help for your ADD.

I do not understand the "if I can muster the courage" comment at all. I am not trying to put you down or anything, seriously. You need to stand up for yourself. You might want to give some thought to seeking some help from the local mental health center if you have trouble standing up for yourself, because.... That is one of the many benefits of having a mental health counselor. I have one. They know how to get things done. They know how the systems work. They have all kinds of connections. And it is great having somebody you can talk to and trust.
Do NOT give up now on your Social Security!!! It is a fact that presently Social Security turns people down Three times before they give them their disability benefits. So do not give up now. And don't pay any attention to that stupid bi***'s comment about if you can take care of your dog, you can get a job. What you should have done is reported her. You put into the system, you might as well benefit from it without any guilt.
There are lots of good attorneys out there that will get you your S.S. benefits for you. They take 33 1/3% of your first check. Which will be a substancial amount because your first payment will is retroactive. Which means you are going to get paid from the date that you first applied! In other words, as long as you follow through, you are stacking up a pretty good some of money right now. The longer it takes the bigger your first check. Most people I have seen get several thousand dollars for their first check at least! So now is NOT the time to give up! DO your self a favor and get it while you can. Social Security is a ponzie scheme and it is probably going to run out in a few years. So get what you can before it no longer exists. Good luck to you and think about getting yourself a counselor, I really think it would help you out.

Legault
11-25-09, 06:05 AM
Depending on where you live they may just want you to have a trustee (they do over here for Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) and they expect you to be absolutely unreliable doing anything mentally or physically, usually it's given to schizophrenics or people who have no control whatsoever, or can't learn to read for whatever reason (like my uncle). I've contemplated getting it as well, but it seems like a whole lot of hassle with an uncertain outcome. The easiest way would be getting someone to do it for you... I sort of have a feeling that unless I were to go there after having ingested deleriants they wouldn't give it to me. Just had to complain a little too...I'm annoyed at this as well.

Retromancer
11-25-09, 07:06 AM
With a +10% "official" unemployment rate don't listen to the a ** holes that say that all you need to do is "simply" find a job. There many high functioning people out there who can't find work. Look out for yourself. You clearly meet the definition of disability. Any history of depression?

I would suggest first going to your local state assistance ("welfare") office. Apply for everything that's available in your state. With luck you live in a state that (still) has an assistance program for the disabled. In my state -- Washington -- we have a program called General Assistance Unemployable (GAU). The actual cash amount is small but there is medical coverage.

This programs are intended to tide you over until you are eligible for Social Security. Since the state ultimately wants you off their rolls they often will provide assistance to help people file for Social Security. ( They will also demand a share of any back payments.)

Another thing you can do is see if there are any disability advocacy organizations in your area. They often provide assistance to people filing for Social Security.

File your claim and this time keep it active. As noted be ready to appeal and appeal. The odds are good that you will ultimately qualify. In the meantime continue seeing a professional -- both for your own well-being and for the purpose of establishing documentation.

I am kicking myself for not starting an application during my last period of unemployment seven years ago. I would be much better off now. Sometimes working simply doesn't work.

qinkin
12-01-09, 09:16 PM
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/12.00-MentalDisorders-Adult.htm
hmm, i talked on the telephone 2day, answered a handful of questions.. and I just found that link..

it truly goes to show, though..how my high-school buddy got this cool job, and has been able to keep it all through high-school, for like 7 years! And my longest job was 9months...and probably b/c it was novelle, as it was my first real job.. lol, now I'm 22, and can't even keep one for more than 5 months! pf, well, his parent's had better jobs than mine, and he never seemed to even have money, despite working all the time!.. ADD truly does affect every aspect of one's life.. And over time it builds up and up...in the form of a touch of immaturity, and crap employment history...nnnnoooo

if this works out my faith in the government will level up