View Full Version : Different types of meds?

MuscleMama
06-19-09, 04:08 PM
My son is 8 yo and recently diagnosed with classic ADHD. He had a period of extreme anxiety back in Feb which was very unlike him and seems to have resolved (thankfully) and also has/had some obsessive thoughts and OCD-like tendencies.

He tried Adderall XR for 3 weeks (5mg, 10mg, 15mg) and it wasn't a good fit for him. He became much moodier, short-tempered and even nasty. His teacher saw some minor improvement in his concentration, but we didn't see any improvements in his behavior at home.

Two psychotherapists (one he sees weekly since Feb and one saw him a few times for a neuropsych evaluation) don't think a stimulant meds will be right for him. The second referred us to a neurologist who works with a lot of ADHD kids and is known to favor amantadine for boys like my son. (Dr Singer in the Boston area) We see him on July 8th and I'm hopeful we will get some good help.

Our pediatrician said he has seen less than spectacular results with Strattera which may be another option.

Just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences with stimulants, but found other types of meds that helped? Should we continue to consider other stimulants like ritalin or not at this point? Any experiences with Amantadine? (I searched and found a few posts)

Thanks in advance :)

MGDAD
06-19-09, 06:20 PM
There are two main types of stimulants used for adhd. Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Focalin, Concerta, others) and Dexidrine (Adderall, Vyvanse, others). The different brand names of the stimulants often are just refering to the delivery system. Meaning the method used to extend the dosing to longer hours.

Strattera is a non stimulant med for ADHD, although most say it does not work that well for many. There is some anecdotal accounts that it is more likely to work for the innattentive ADHD types.

Beyond that there are quite a few other meds that are prescribed for ADHD, but normally only tried after trying a few of the stimulants.

Since you tried Adderall and it did not work well. You might want to try a MPH type stimulant. If your son cant take pills, Focalin XR would be good because it can be sprinkled on apple sauce. Otherwise Concerta is also a good long acting stimulant, but you have to swallow the pill whole.

I would try one more stimulant before giving up.

mctavish23
06-21-09, 02:12 PM
When you get a chance,please check out some of the FORUM posts on Diagnosis

and Testing.

Dizfriz has some excellent ones.

Also, if it hasn't already been listed, check this out too when you can :

http://www.greatschools.net/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

MuscleMama
06-21-09, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I will look for those posts. I have that article saved on my computer, but haven't gotten thru it yet. So it might be worth giving Ritalin a try. We are away next week and will then have 9 days before our neuro appt - I'm wondering if we should try Ritalin before the appt or just wait. Does anyone know if amantadine works quickly or takes several weeks to kick in? (if he even decides to try amantadine with my son)

I'm worried that trying out different meds is going to eat up all of the summer, giving each one several weeks before knowing if they're the right one. I know this shouldn't be rushed, but I want to be as time-effective as possible, too. :(

mctavish23
06-21-09, 10:55 PM
I know Atomoxetine ( generic Straterra).

It is not fast acting.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

MuscleMama
07-11-09, 11:25 PM
We're on day 3 of Ritalin and it seems to be working! His behavior has been calmer and he said he feels better and like his temper is less. I am cautiously optimistic :D

MuscleMama
07-14-09, 10:10 PM
Just finishing day 6 of Ritalin and I am SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! My son has had the most wonderful response to it and is behaving so nicely when he takes it. He becomes very sweet, is so much more patient and nice to his little brother and is just plain enjoyable to be with. He seems happier and says that he likes it and that it helps him with his temper.

It is the short acting version (5 mg pills) to start with just to see how it worked and to up the dose as needed to see how much he needs. It is dramatic when it wears off, just about 4 hours on the dot. We have worked up to 15mg twice a day with good results. He tried 20mg this morning just to see and he was sooo sweet, but I did notice that he talked a lot (and he talks a lot normally). He also got very involved in his nintendo ds game for a while to the exclusion of everything else. I think maybe 15mg is a good dose for him.

The neurologist is on vacation, but I got a message to him asking if we could switch to a long-acting version now that we know it's a good fit. I'm thinking Concerta because of the 12 hours, but we'll see what he recommends.

We're going on vacation next week and I think it's going to be that much more enjoyable now with the new medicine. :D

Part of me wonders if it is bad in some way for me to want to have him on the medicine as much as possible? Of course it has to wear off for him to sleep, but he is so much more enjoyable and seems to feel happier with it in his system - that's all good, right? It feels weird to see his negative behavior around noon and start looking for his medicine to give him and then he's nice again - does anyone know what I mean? :confused:

MGDAD
07-15-09, 11:32 AM
Concerta (mph) literature claims it lasts up to 10 hours.
Vyvanse (dex) literature claims it lasts up to 12 hours.
Adderall XR (dex)lasts about 10 hours.
Focalin XR (mph)lasts about 8 hours.

My daughter recently switched from Focalin XR to Vyvanse. The Vyvanse lasts much longer than the Focalin. Pretty much right up until bed time. Also, I can disolve the vyvanse in juice. You cant do that with the Concerta. Oops, just noticed that adderall did not work well for you. I would not try the Vyvanse then since it is not MPH. The Ritalin is MPH.

Glad it is going so well for you.

tomlinson
07-15-09, 03:43 PM
Just finishing day 6 of Ritalin and I am SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! My son has had the most wonderful response to it and is behaving so nicely when he takes it. He becomes very sweet, is so much more patient and nice to his little brother and is just plain enjoyable to be with. He seems happier and says that he likes it and that it helps him with his temper.

Congratulations on finding an effective med for your son so quickly!

Part of me wonders if it is bad in some way for me to want to have him on the medicine as much as possible? Of course it has to wear off for him to sleep, but he is so much more enjoyable and seems to feel happier with it in his system - that's all good, right? It feels weird to see his negative behavior around noon and start looking for his medicine to give him and then he's nice again - does anyone know what I mean? :confused:

These are good questions to ask your doctor.
Seems like s/he's familiar with the issues and the solutions.

Taylor2
04-07-10, 07:53 PM
Hello, I just received my sons prescription today and will start tomorrow. I was just wondering how it worked for him?

MuscleMama
04-07-10, 08:56 PM
Concerta is still working well. He is on the minimum dose of 18mg, but he occasionally takes 2 (36mg) when needed. It's not the be all, end all - but it definitely helps him concentrate and be less impulsive. Good luck!