View Full Version : How Common Are Pharmacy Mix-Ups???

BoB2318
06-22-09, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone... let me just say that the information found in this forum is some of the best information I've ever got! You guys are better than and Dr. or Pharmacist I've dealt with!
Anyway, this is my question... Have any of you ever had the pharmacy give you the wrong medications? For example, if your prescribed ritalin, and you get your prescription and the information on the bottle looks correct and everything is as it normally is, but when you open it, there is a different medication than your used to getting.
I'm curious because I am prescribed ritalin, and after searching through this forum I've found some adderall (generic I think) that looks exactly like my ritalin and was wondering if anyone has ever had that happen? Or anything similar for that matter... I appreciate it! Thanks again and thanks for all the info everyone has given to this site!!!

BoB

ndnbutterfly
06-23-09, 09:29 AM
Hello and welcome Bob!

I have had this happen to me. It's because there are different manufacturer's of the same medication.

I've had half a bottle of orange pills and half a bottle of white ones! The pharmacy only had enough to fill my script that way.

You should call the pharmacy and ask them what the deal is. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about though.

Good luck!

walkingmedley
06-23-09, 07:13 PM
hey there, i work in a pharmacy myself, and although there are very rarely some mistakes... (human error is sometimes unavoidable), we get a lot of people calling and coming in questioning whether they got the right meds. just as ndnbutterfly said, 99% of the time its just a different manufacturer, but it never hurts to ask and make sure!

pADDyjay
06-23-09, 08:37 PM
...all of the above and welcome aboard BoB:)

fxfake
06-29-09, 12:41 PM
I once had a pharmacy short me 30 pills of my script for 90 (Adderall). I only noticed about a week later, when the bottle seemed suspiciously empty. I went back to the pharmacy to complain. The pharmacist was quite concerned about this, did an inventory, and saw that they had an excess stock of about 30 pills, which he gave to me. That was a close call. I wonder how he would have reacted to a new customer (I had used that pharmacy for about a year, to the point that the pharmacist knew my name)?

I now make an effort to count all my pills (at least any controlled substances) when I get home from the pharmacy.