View Full Version : I heart Costco pharmacy

OntheFence
06-24-09, 01:11 PM
For any of you with no insurance, go to Costco! Run, don't walk. You don't need a membership to use the pharmacy.

I normally go to Target or Walmart because they are much cheaper than CVS, Walgreen's, etc. I would pay around $80 from Target for 90 x 20mg instant release generic adderall (amphetamine salts). CVS told me $120 last time I checked.

I didn't think Costco would be much cheaper than Target or Walmart, BUT
I just there for the first time and....$35 :eek:

Unbelievable. I love you Costco!

StoicNate
06-24-09, 08:43 PM
Wow, that's a really good deal.

lostmykeys
06-25-09, 01:43 AM
Perhaps there was some mistake? That seems too unreal. If there were no mistakes, then Costco is the best!

Impromptu_DTour
06-25-09, 02:03 AM
i shop my g.adderall at costco too ;) parking sucks, but the price is too good. Pharmacies around here also stack the price $50, $60, $80, $100+ dollars. But ya.. Costco hovers in the mid $30s! :D:D:D

johnny s.
06-25-09, 09:19 AM
I read here once you didn't need a membership to use just the pharmacy there...

OntheFence
06-25-09, 11:27 AM
Perhaps there was some mistake? That seems too unreal. If there were no mistakes, then Costco is the best!

No typo here. I paid $35 for 90 pills of Barr 20mg amphetamine combo/ salts. I couldn't believe it either.

My advice: If you have a Costco in your area, call their pharmacy (go to costco.com and use the store locator) and just ask them the price. It's that simple. If you don't have a Costco pharmacy in your area, you can still use their online pharmacy, but obviously you'll have to mail them your script and wait for your meds to be shipped.

OntheFence
06-25-09, 11:29 AM
I read here once you didn't need a membership to use just the pharmacy there...

This is true. You do not need a Costco membership to use their pharmacy. I could be mistaken, but I heard somewhere that they have to let you use their pharmacy, by law.

gnbeg
06-25-09, 12:21 PM
What about Sam's club? Has anyone filled their scripts at Sams club and compared to Target, Walmart or Walgreen's?

I usually get my Adderall XR, Seroquel and Lamactil filled at Walgreens. The Lamactil is generic and costs me $5. But the Adderall and Seroquel are name brand. I've decided to stick wtih name brand Adderall since it's only $5 more thatn the new generic.

THe Adderall and Seroquel costs $50 and $40. Ouch!

This is the cost of my medication as determined by my health insurance.

OntheFence
06-25-09, 01:59 PM
What about Sam's club? Has anyone filled their scripts at Sams club and compared to Target, Walmart or Walgreen's?

I usually get my Adderall XR, Seroquel and Lamactil filled at Walgreens. The Lamactil is generic and costs me $5. But the Adderall and Seroquel are name brand. I've decided to stick wtih name brand Adderall since it's only $5 more thatn the new generic.

THe Adderall and Seroquel costs $50 and $40. Ouch!

This is the cost of my medication as determined by my health insurance.

Sam's Club does have a pharmacy and I would imagine that their prices are similar to Costco's. I would just call both of them and ask for pricing.

PedroDaGr8
06-25-09, 03:23 PM
This is true. You do not need a Costco membership to use their pharmacy. I could be mistaken, but I heard somewhere that they have to let you use their pharmacy, by law.

This is partly correct, it is by STATE law. This means, this is on a state by state basis.

Also, if you ARE a costco member but don't have health insurance or have health insurance with NO persciption coverage.
http://www.envisionrx.com/pdfs/CMPPFAQs.pdf

It's a free perscription discount program available to costco members who lack perscription coverage. It appears to be administered by an outside company.

phEight
07-26-09, 10:26 AM
Even though the only Costco around me is in the complete opposite direction of my psychiatrists office, I'm definitely going to try and make it there. It's a good 15 miles away, rather than the half mile away Walmart is. A 20-30 minute extra drive ought to be worth it. Will update you guys tomorrow when I get my first script for a month supply. :)

I paid $27 for 15 10mg Barr IR pills at Walmart. I was quoted $60-65 or so when I asked how many 60 would be, so that's definitely quite a difference. Really nice to find information like this on the net, wouldn't have ever found it other wise.

OntheFence
07-26-09, 10:39 AM
FYI, I picked up 60 x 30mg Adderall for $27 the other day from Costco.....Also, I called Sam's Club, and it is more expensive than Costco. They told me $65, but that was for 90 x 30mg.

phEight
07-26-09, 11:19 AM
Wow, I sure hope these prices keep up at Costco. It feels like I need to rush over there as soon as I can as if it's a sale that's about to run out haha.

You mentioned earlier that you received Barr generics, is that what you always receive from Costco?

OntheFence
07-26-09, 11:32 AM
Wow, I sure hope these prices keep up at Costco. It feels like I need to rush over there as soon as I can as if it's a sale that's about to run out haha.

You mentioned earlier that you received Barr generics, is that what you always receive from Costco?

That's right.

Zoom
07-26-09, 12:29 PM
I believe Sam's Club does this as well; a good friend of mine gets her ADD meds from there. I can't remember what she's on, but it's only costing her $16. :eek:

phEight
07-27-09, 06:02 PM
Sigh, well made the long *** drive to Costco only to find out that they're out. Wonderful. Going to have to wait 5 days now to get my script filled. I did ask for a pirce check, and 90 10mg pills were $36.

Higgy
07-28-09, 02:12 PM
It's true that it is a state law....however, Costco's Pharmacy is based out of Everett, Washington...and Washington Law makes it illegal for a pharmacy to sell cheaper or exclusively to a "member"....so the Costco price is available to anyone. Their prices are better are most meds....and you can find the prices for their meds on their website...I use them mostly because their price on Ambien is incredible compared to other pharmacies. I get 100 generic Ambien for just under $10...(without insurance)...if your doctor will fax the prescription, it goes quickly to get it delivered....I had mine processed and delivered within 5 days.

phEight
07-28-09, 04:22 PM
Oh nice. Well, there are 3 Costco's in the Houston area... and all of them are out of adderall. Two of them said they are on back order so it will be at least two weeks and one said they have been out for a month. This is ridiculous. I just went to Walmart and got 90 10mg pills for $80. Oh well :(

OntheFence
07-28-09, 04:26 PM
Sigh, well made the long *** drive to Costco only to find out that they're out. Wonderful. Going to have to wait 5 days now to get my script filled. I did ask for a pirce check, and 90 10mg pills were $36.

Sorry to hear that...In the future, they might keep some in stock for you if you ask....I wish 10mg worked for me.

How much were you paying at other pharmacies?

phEight
07-28-09, 04:47 PM
Well this is my first official script for a month. I'm pretty newly diagnosed. Costco is definitely by far the cheapest. I called a bunch of pharmacies today to get price checks. Walgreens is $91 or $62 with their no insurance discount card that you pay $20 a year for (but I hear they use corepharma, heard too many horror stories to risk it), CVS was $113 (wtf?), Sam's was $76, Walmart was $79 (but much closer to home so I opted for Walmart), Target was about $80 as well. Costco was $36. Insane difference for sure.. I hope next time I can get it from Costco.

All those prices were for 90 10mg pills. 10mg works okay for me, only in the mornings on an empty stomach but in the afternoon it hardly works... I asked the doc for 15mg and he didn't have a problem with that so he gave me 90 to make it 15mg twice a day.