View Full Version : Classroom at home

EYEFORGOT
06-24-09, 01:40 PM
I've been home schooling my kids from day one.
As they've gotten older they need more organized school time which means I am trying to organize a more proper "classroom".

We've picked our living room as, believe it or not, it's large, not used that much and is off to the side, so there isn't a lot of traffic.

I have two bookcases filled, a craft table covered in stuff (was for scrapbooking) that was brought up from our basement after a flood and some drawers/shelving for crafts/puzzles.

I'm having trouble with the organization part though. Boxes? File cabinets? Drawers?

It doesn't matter if you're a teacher or not. If you were to make a classroom in your home what do you think would be the handiest things you could do?

GreyStreet
07-08-09, 07:40 PM
Kudos on homeschooling! I was homeschooled for third grade, and it was pretty awesome.

I am in the process of reorganizing my apartment, and in particular making it more comfortable for studying. Doing homework on the bed isn't ideal, as I'm sure you know. I haven't gotten to the desk yet, but I got some bookshelves and finally got my books and textbooks out of boxes. On top of this, I put stacks of milk crates, which are the best thing I've found for notebooks, binders, and paperwork. Since they're about a foot square on the inside, they're just the right proportions to fit 8.5"x11" paper stuff. Best of all, in my opinion, crates are easily movable and open so I can SEE the contents, so no more filling a box and forgetting what's in it or ignoring it easily.

Being comfortable is important for me when I'm trying to work. Not too comfy, cause then I might fall asleep, but enough that I can focus. I also like being able to have variety in how/where I'm working (and need to so I can chase my wireless connection around the room!). To those ends, I have clipboards, a huge spool upended as a table, a big folding table for a "real" desk, and two end tables that get moved around all the time, and for seating, a futon, desk chair, and camp chair.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for the rest of it, but I'd like to get a big whiteboard (I have a small one, but I need more space to put my lists) for over the desk to keep track of what I need to do when, and I use the small one for scratch work wherever I'm sitting. I like hanging as much on the walls as possible, so I have more free space for spreading out my work. Papers and things that absolutely have to be remembered I stick to one wall with scotch tape-- harder to forget if it's staring me in the face (it helps that paper is white and my walls are green, yay contrast). Bright light is also my friend. I have a ton of small lamps to put near my workstations, but my favorite is a folding daylight lamp. It can hang from a nail on the wall or stand on its own, and it's incredibly bright, so I can turn the overhead light off and have fewer visual distractions.

Hmm, I'm not sure what else might be helpful.... I guess the most important thing is to make it work for you and your kids. Whatever keeps the productivity up is what I usually go with, and that varies from person to person. Good luck!