View Full Version : Foreign Substances

APSJ
07-02-09, 03:29 PM
While waiting to cross the street this afternoon, a car passed in front of me at high velocity, and through a large puddle, thereby transferring the contents of the puddle onto my face, clothes, and briefcase.

I was filled with a sense of panic, but forced myself to look at the water on my arm, where it was most visible. I was both surprised and greatly relieved to discover that it was clear, and had no discernible odor, and further relieved when I found that it had not penetrated the outside of my briefcase and damaged my various electronic devices within it. Further, while on the train the water evaporated, and left no residue.

In the end, I felt quite lucky. The odds of getting splashed with water by a passing car in the city, when its been raining for months on end, are pretty high. In contrast, the odds of a puddle in the city containing clean water are incredibly small.

It occurs to me that the reason why, on balance, I felt so good about this event, is because of how I would have reacted had the water not been clean. Obviously, everybody would prefer to be splashed with clean water than with dirty water, but it goes beyond that for me. I can't stand to have any foreign substances on me that are identifiable by touch or odor, particularly on my hands.

For example, after chopping garlic, I will spend as long as necessary to get the smell off of my hands. Also, if I have anything sticky or greasy on my hands, I will have difficulty thinking about anything else until I get it off. On occasion, after sitting next to someone wearing strong perfume or cologne on the subway, I'll discover that its transferred to my clothing. If its strong enough, this can drive me crazy for the entire day.

I've seen in other threads in this section that others with ADHD have issues with over-sensitivity these sorts of things, and I wondered if this is the same thing? I've sort of assumed that what I described is more of an OCD trait, and find it interesting that it might be linked to ADHD.

Spaced_In
07-03-09, 08:58 AM
i think you have OCD, i have OcD and ADHD as well but i dont think that OCD has anything to do with ADHD there are just a lot of people out there who have it whether they have ADHD or not

stef
07-03-09, 09:39 AM
Very interesting, because my husband is somewhat like that. (and not ADD).

APSJ
07-03-09, 12:27 PM
i think you have OCD, i have OcD and ADHD as well but i dont think that OCD has anything to do with ADHD there are just a lot of people out there who have it whether they have ADHD or not

This is what I've assumed. I definitely meet the criteria for OCD, but have opted not to seek treatment for it because it doesn't interfere with my life in a serious way, and I'm loathe to add a fifth medication if I don't have to.

Fierwing
07-03-09, 02:25 PM
I don't think it's an OCD thing, or at least, not explicitly.

Being splashed with water probably wouldn't cause me pause (unless it had something really disgusting in it), but both smells and a greasy or tacky feeling (or any feeling really) on my hands is almost intolerable.

Strong smells in general, especially those in the perfume or cleaning product categories, tend to either give me a headache or make me feel slightly nauseous. And I do often think that I can still smell them hours later, although I've never been sure if this was my imagination or the scent really actually lingering.

Oh, I guess this doesn't make sense unless I add in that I do not have OCD... can't really comment on whether this all has any relationship to ADHD or is something else entirely though. It does seem like sensory processing issues, of one sort or another, is one of those things that you hear frequently co-occur with ADHD.

(And by the way, I've never found anything except time effective for diminishing the smell of garlic. What on earth do you use?)

APSJ
07-04-09, 06:59 PM
I don't think it's an OCD thing, or at least, not explicitly.

Being splashed with water probably wouldn't cause me pause (unless it had something really disgusting in it), but both smells and a greasy or tacky feeling (or any feeling really) on my hands is almost intolerable.

Strong smells in general, especially those in the perfume or cleaning product categories, tend to either give me a headache or make me feel slightly nauseous. And I do often think that I can still smell them hours later, although I've never been sure if this was my imagination or the scent really actually lingering.

That sounds a lot like how I react. Although I find it unpleasant to have these feelings anywhere, its much stronger for my hands. For example, I can put on sunblock, although its unpleasant, but I have to wash it off my hands after doing so.

I guess this is another trait that must go without definitive attribution to one disorder or another.

(And by the way, I've never found anything except time effective for diminishing the smell of garlic. What on earth do you use?)

Metals(or maybe specific metals) remove the smell somehow. I scrape the back(dull) side of the knife blade over any part of my hand that came in contact with the garlic. I learned this from a relative about a year ago, and it works really well, but it can still take me a while to completely remove the odor. I just found out(via a visitor message on my forum profile here), that there are metal soaps made just for this purpose.