View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis

bratterscained
07-03-09, 08:04 PM
I saw a thread about issues with falling asleep and it made me think of this...

I've experienced bouts of sleep paralysis for as long as I can remember. It's terrifying and if you don't know what it is, google it. If you've experienced it, then you know it seems like something out of a horror film.

Your brain is awake but you can't physically move. You often hallucinate while its going on, and it generally happens moments after you fall asleep or moments before you wake up. You feel like your eyes are open, but they're not (my ex saw me go through an episode once) and you can 'see' everything around you, but you can't move a muscle. Panic sets in and your heart starts racing. I experience it when I am REALLY tired, or when I try sleeping in a new place. I had it almost every night for the first 2-3 months I moved into my new apartment. Now that I know what it is, I can generally calm myself down and slowly work myself out of it by focusing on wiggling a toe or a finger until I can move a limb, but it is still always terrifying for those first few seconds.

There are A LOT of theories about it, but scientists are pretty sure it has do to with a mis-communication between your brain and the chemicals used to paralyze your body so you don't act out your dreams.

Does anyone else experience these horrifying times? I wonder if it's prevalent in ADDers...

Bladezor
07-03-09, 09:56 PM
I too suffer from this..I believe it has something to do with my inconsistent sleep patterns & at times severe lack of sleep.

If I lay on my back it seems to occur MUCH more frequently..so that's why I prefer to lay on my stomach, it can happen when I lay on my side but no where near as frequently. I don't recall ever getting it while on my stomach.

I think your eyes are open, but ever so slightly, that's why my vision is usually distorted during these episodes. I can make out objects but not finer details.

Struggling makes it MUCH worse, it's better to just sit back and wait for a while then slowly try and move.

Other interesting notes about when I get it:
When it happens I usually experience an intense feeling on the top of my forehead...can't really describe it.
Auditory hallucinations happen too, but they're usually long, loud 'thunderous' sounds, rain, wind..stuff like that. The thunderous sound sounds similar to what you hear when you take a really big yawn, almost like your moving your eardrums.. sounds silly but it's hard to explain.

You're not alone.

Communicators
07-04-09, 01:58 AM
I honestly got good at yanking myself out of these. Once I notice that I'm in this state, I yank my mind from left to right and, voila, I'm awake and able to move.

doiadhd
07-04-09, 10:39 PM
Yes it is a nightmare!
Had one last week and hate it....that is the one thing that terrifies me-the actual thought of staying like it.
This last time it happened I sterted off drifting to sleep but it felt like I could see through my eyelids and kept telling my partner.....when I tried to get up the same thing!And the more I fight it the worse it gets.....
Thinking back I think I had this trouble alot of times in the mornings trying to get up for work but being un-able.Makes me un-happy and sad to think back.....I new no-one else I met got this.
I thought I should go to the doctors about it in the past-so went last week and I might as well not have bothered.
There are a few sections in the forums about this.

FinallyAnswered
07-05-09, 09:59 AM
I haven't had this for many years, but I do clearly remember a few episodes back in my teen years. I remember spending at least a half hour talking to my toes to get them to move until they finally did.

I think it's more common than people realize.

Justtess
07-05-09, 11:48 AM
I havent been dx with ADHD however, I have these whenever stress affects my sleep patterns and I happen to wake up during the early morning hours (2-4 am).

It started when I was a teenager and I thought a ghost was sitting on me. I couldn't breathe. It felt like immense pressure pushing me into the bed. I don't think anyone believed me whenever I told them what I experienced. None of my siblings have ever reported having these so I thought these are unique to me until I read about sleep paralysis a few years ago.

doiadhd
07-05-09, 12:11 PM
I havent been dx with ADHD however, I have these whenever stress affects my sleep patterns and I happen to wake up during the early morning hours (2-4 am).

It started when I was a teenager and I thought a ghost was sitting on me. I couldn't breathe. It felt like immense pressure pushing me into the bed. I don't think anyone believed me whenever I told them what I experienced. None of my siblings have ever reported having these so I thought these are unique to me until I read about sleep paralysis a few years ago.

After this happened to me the first time I told my Dad and Brother and both of hem were like'oh have'nt you had that before','yeah I get them all the time','everyone gets it'.....I,ve mentioned it recently to them and they said 'I don't remember that','really?'......what a nice bunch of friendly indeviduals!
I've had two in two weeks recently....and want no-more!

Just realised similar threads at the bottom of the page!!!
I've been on here for a while now and only just noticed:o

ginniebean
07-05-09, 06:43 PM
I haven't had one of these in about ten years. But I had them on and off from about 12 years of age. Frightening and wierd.

PNT92
07-05-09, 07:44 PM
i had one before, and i felt my stomach falling inside of me, and for a couple of years after that i layed on my stomach cause i thought it was gravity. that was about 6 years ago or so, now i sleep on my back again no problem.

keladry
07-05-09, 08:54 PM
Oh, do I know sleep paralysis. I experienced it at least once a week for most of my life and I'm convinced that it's a big part of the other sleep issues that have plagued me since I was a baby. I was in my twenties before I stumbled upon the actual term for it, and before that I had no way of explaining what it was I was experiencing. The inability to communicate the level of terror I felt, combined with the episodes themselves, made the idea of going to sleep a scary, scary thing. I often stayed up all night simply because I was afraid to sleep. Which, of course, only made them worse when I *did* get to sleep.

It's funny, though, I hadn't thought about it in a while until I saw this post and realized that it's been a full year since I've experienced it. Interestingly, it's also been about a year since I started taking Adderall on a daily basis.

kattsqueen
07-05-09, 10:59 PM
http://www.hkpp.org/faq/thyrotoxic_periodic_paralysis.html
check out this information and look up periodic paralysis hypokppd
low potassium partial paralysis disorder..I started potassium tabs a few days ago and have my muscle pain stop almost completely// some people with the disorder only experience paralysis while sleeping or in bed very interesting stuff,,

katts

jennydick
09-18-09, 05:20 AM
Hi...It's all the weird dreams you are getting, but not paralysis. Don't worry about all this crap. It's may be due to stress you are undergoing. Take enough rest. Take care of your health.<o>:p></o>:p>

Impromptu_DTour
09-18-09, 05:53 AM
Hi...It's all the weird dreams you are getting, but not paralysis. Don't worry about all this crap. It's may be due to stress you are undergoing. Take enough rest. Take care of your health.<o>:p></o>:p>

Yes ;) I mean.. it is true in the fact that this happens when we dont get enough sleep, but.. at the same time "why"? This is so -haunting-.. and alot of spiritual guidance would insinuate an aggressive evil force at work between the planes of the Sleep border and Awake border.

Not to get metaphysical.. but contracting it down to a scientific level.. its a night terror. We got them as kids, they are no different. They are relatable to Sleepwalking.. and it is in essence the same enviornment..

We are stuck between R.E.M. and Active.. and while still in R.E.M. we are active.. in the context of paralysis.. we are Consciously Active, but only enough to the level that we know that we "are" or have the capability to "be" awake. IE: we are "Conscious" but not in control of being Conscious. We're still dreaming.. but are hijacked somehow inbetween.

Ive had several episodes.. terrifying episodes.. but it is just *shrug*.. a glitch in the system.. still sleeping while waking... or waking while still in deep sleep.

I_DTour

chips
09-18-09, 06:15 AM
Know this so well. Have had sleep paralysis for 26 years & absolutely hate having it. Sometimes I will multiple episodes in one night on severe occasions. It is so draining & frightening. I have found that if I can get relaxed enough before going to bed I will be not so likely to get it. I have found for myself if I am anxious I am more likely to have an episode. My father has the opposite, REMBD (Rapid Eye Movement Behaviour Disorder) where he acts out & lashes out in his sleep/dreams. His body is awake but his mind is asleep. He also has parkinsons disease which is linked to this sleep disorder. If you have this disorder they can usually predict you will get parkinsons up to 11 years in advance. He's done all the sleep tests & stuff too.

SuzzanneX
09-18-09, 06:43 AM
I think I started the last sleep paralysis thread.....
.........I hate it.

I'm starting to notice I only get it if I don't sleep enough.

....YEAH HELL YEAH .....it's terrifying!

Impromptu_DTour
09-18-09, 08:08 AM
I'm starting to notice I only get it if I don't sleep enough.

....YEAH HELL YEAH .....it's terrifying!

Ive only been able to get approximatelty 3 - 4 hours a sleep per night for the last gosh.. well its been over a decade.. [ i start my shift in 3.5 hours ;D ] what ive found is (if you can wrap your head around this.. ) Its almost as if you need "energy" to sleep. Sleeping is an activity.. i too have noticed quantifiable disturbances when i sleep, without enough of this "energy".

You need time to get into REM.. when the lights are truely out.. and left brain and right brain transferrence are at they're most productive. (6 - 8 hours of sleep per night for an adult, its estimated that we only touch REM for about a 1/3 of that?)

Forgive the analogy.. but it is more sound than anything else..

Reaching REM.. when we sleep at our most healthy levels.. is almost like reaching an Orgasm. Its there.. it'll happen.. if thats the only thing on our itinerary.. and nothing will distract us from that absolute goal.

Sleep is sleep.. and cannot be anything else... Which is why Insomnia is such a huge problem.. and we have all of these other disturbing sleep behaviors.. because "sleep" is not "sleep". Sleep is .. how to say.. a 'privilege', rather than a 'duty'.

And even though we're "Sleeping" we are ****ING exhausted!! which is another reason why this activity happens.. because we're stuck in some kind of cruise control... but we've never stopped at the rest stop..

I_DTour

Don S.
09-20-09, 07:47 PM
Thank God, I haven’t had it for years, though I went through a period of time where it happened fairly often. For me, it always happened while taking a nap in the afternoon; never when I slept at night. The thing I remember most vividly is the feeling of total exhaustion upon coming out if it, so much so that on more than one occasion I immediately relapsed into the paralysis and had to start over again with the struggle (if such is real, I was never clear on that point). I never once had anyone from my family come into my room by chance during an episode. I recall wondering what would have happened if he or she had tried to wake me during one of these episodes (which is another reason why I doubted it was real as opposed to a nightmare of sorts).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I could never determine if this phenomenon is real or some sort of hallucination, a dream state of some sort. Someone on this thread mentioned that irregular sleep patterns could be a cause, which would explain why it had only happened to me during afternoon or early evening naps. <o:p></o:p>
Now that I am older, it is so difficult for me to sleep at all that the conditions are no longer right for the phenomenon to happen, I suppose. I’m glad others here have related their own experiences. I told someone about this just once and was scoffed at, never having heard of such a thing and not believing me. I never mentioned it again to anyone except a doctor who was more understanding and sympathetic. He was reassuring and said it wasn’t dangerous.<o:p></o:p>

QueensU_girl
09-24-09, 09:26 PM
I have had this happen in the past, and it happened again this evening.

I never have the fear or hallucinations, but my baby was crying in his crib and I couldn't move to go get him, which was distressing.

Have you all been to a Sleep Clinic for testing?

My Sleep Doctor said it is often caused by having a sleep disorder (or several) which constantly fractures sleep quality and causes sleep deprivation.

e.g. I have sleep apnea and PLMs, which combined make my sleep break up 20x/hr. My apnea is 4/hr and my PLM (leg jerks) are 16/hr.

Outsider
09-26-09, 10:14 PM
I've experienced it occasionally since high school, but more frequently when I was working shifts and my sleep schedule would get all messed up.

The first time it was terrifying because I didn't know what was happening and thought maybe I'd be paralysed forever. But now I'm ussually just amused by it.

One time I woke up on the couch and saw that the dvd I had been watching was on the menu. So I sat up and picked up the remote to turn it off. When I went to look at the remote to find the off button, not only wasn't the remote (which I could feel) there but my hand wasnt there. So I sat there for a while waving my hand in front of my face and feeling invisible because I couldnt see it. Then all at once I realized that I was actually still lying flat on the couch paralyzed.

ray_09
09-29-09, 11:07 PM
I read about the sleeping disorders and found an interestin thing.

Your case may be the "old witch's syndrome". Ask a doctor aobut this, he must know about this phenomenon.

bumblebe
10-01-09, 04:54 AM
Yes This has happened to me. For awhile I was afraid to fall asleep because it is so scary. Hasnt happened in quite some time.

I have a phobia of houses. Mostly im afraid of someone killing me in my sleep. Ive always had this fear, my earliest memory at 5yrs.

My experience with Sleep Paralysis is that im asleep and I think that someone may be in the house. This isnt a dream. I am actualy awake. I remember questioning the likleyhood of someone realy being in the house an I know its most likely not true but the odds arent worth risking. I try to wake myself up but cant move. Its just like you described...I would focus on moving a part of my body to wake myself up. Im despratly trying to wake myself up. When I finaly do wake myself up and realize I am completely safe I get frusterated thinking what did I do that for? Now I have to try to fall back to sleep.

Weird...i hate this so much its so scary.

98thpercentile
10-23-09, 12:35 PM
This only happened to me once, but it was such a traumatic experience that I still remember it vividly almost 15 years later. I was visiting my fiance at her parents house, and staying in their rarely used guest room. On my back with eyes were open but my head turned to the side. I recall moonlight coming in the window as very bright, and I had a crushing weight on chest, couldn't move, goose bumps all over, racing heart, and a loud sound like being in a field of locusts. I recall fighting it to the point of actual tears, and after what seemed like an eternity my body was freed/awake, and I instantly ran out of the room and slept on the living room couch the rest of the night.

My fiance asked me why I spent the night on the couch and I told her. She told me that neither she nor her mother would ever use that room, they always felt uncomfortable in it. She told me that room used to be her grandmother's bedroom, who was very mean, vindictive woman before she passed away several years prior.

I'm not suggesting there's anything more to this than physiology, but this was the first, and thankfully, only time I've ever had this experience.

Ririe44
12-13-12, 04:23 AM
Sorry if this thread is old but I found it interesting.

I have had HDHD since birth and constantly experience these episode. As said before I get them usually when taking a nap on the couch mid day or affternoon.

They started off very scary but I have learned not to freak. At first, like others, I had no Idea if I was experiencing it for real or just dreaming it.

Some of the crazier ones I have been through include not being able to breath what-so-ever to the point that I felt I would pass out though already asleep in a sense, if that makes any sense.

In one of my most recent ones I had a very strange occurance that I have experinced a few times. I would realize I was awake but cannot move like usual but my eyes were open. Not only were they open but they were crossed and I was unable to uncross them.

Is this possibly a normal thin, or maybe just a hallucination? I tend not to hallucinate though.

Phoenix Ash
12-15-12, 11:40 AM
Sleep paralysis is simply a glitch wherein the mind is awake (at least partially) but the body is asleep. Normally the two are in sync but when they aren't, it can be really disconcerting, to say the least.

I experienced sleep paralysis two or three times. Each time it felt like an unseen presence was sitting on my chest making it hard to breathe and impossible to move. My eyes were open, my brain was awake, but my body was completely unresponsive to any command I gave it. I was effectively a quadriplegic and was totally terrified but couldn't even speak to ask for help.

I don't know how long I was like that but it felt like a long time. 20 minutes maybe?? Finally it started to wear off and I was able to turn over but it took a tremendous amount of effort.

It really freaked me out at the time cos it felt like being possessed or something. Years later I learned about sleep paralysis and felt so relieved! I now suspect neurological oddities like this are what's really behind a lot of folks' reports of possession and alien abduction and whatnot.

All that was over ten years ago and it happened during an incredibly stressful time in my life. Hasn't happened since.

Fuzzy12
12-20-12, 02:43 PM
I get that. It was much worse as a child. Till I heard of sleep paralysis I thought it's basically just a particularly nasty type of nightmare. I hate that feeling of vulnerability when you can't open your eyes or move in any way, can't scream, knowing that you are stuck, immobile, lying in the dark...

Sometimes it has got more dream like components to it as well (apparently auditory hallucinations are common). I'm not sure if they really are hallucinations or just drifting in and out of sleep & dreaming. I usually hear voices, people coming up the stairs, which freaks me out even more.

Even though I know it's sleep paralysis, it still freaks me out everytime. I panic and frantically try to open my eyes or jerk myself fully awake. Usually my husband wakes me when he starts hearing muffled screams.

It's become a lot better with the years. Now I only get it when I try to nap without being tired or in the day time.

T-Rex65
12-20-12, 03:25 PM
Sometimes, yes. And it's scary. But it's been a while. It's possible that whatever caused it has been overridden by the meds I'm taking for depression and ADHD.

rinslertron
12-20-12, 03:52 PM
This happened to my wife once years ago, and she said it was the most terrifying experience she's ever been through. She "woke up" but could not move her body. I would imagine most people think they are paralyzed FOR REAL (I can't think of anything more terrifying) until it "wears off" and they return to normal. But if you don't know the reason - I can only imagine...

Interestingly, my wife also has many ADHD symptoms - a million things going at once, not being able to sit still /always having to be doing something.

NyteFyre22
12-20-12, 04:45 PM
Interesting note on the sleep paralysis. I had it once when I lived in Georgia, and I swear to god I heard church bells in my head, and I could not move whatsoever for what seemed like a few minutes. It was similar to Aerosmith's Hells Bells, but the church bells were a bit different. I was scared out of my mind as well, the most oppressive feeling I have ever gone though.

Asking my co-workers about it, they all said it was normal, and it was something called the Witch on your Back, because it's like something is pinning you down. They had all experienced it at least once. They were all black, and wikipedia says this is common African folklore, so the legends carried over I suppose.

I'm white, and have never talked to another Caucasian that has experienced it.

To be honest, I was hanging out with some Wiccans at the time, and visiting some of Savannah's most haunted sites and was pretty convinced it fell into the supernatural category. Savannah can be creepy place, very supernatural.

sarahsweets
12-20-12, 07:43 PM
Once my husbands diagnosis of narcolepsy this has happened less and less with his treatment of provigil.

T-Rex65
12-21-12, 10:52 AM
For me it isn't the paralysis itself that scares me. I'm sort of aware that what is happening isn't dangerous, and that it's happened before. What I am afraid of is slipping into a nightmare, so I'm trying desperately to wake up completely so that won't happen.

Now that I think about it, I don't have nightmares as frequently as I did a few years ago when I was unmedicated.

ILikeHats
04-11-13, 02:37 AM
I was just about to make a thread about this. This happens ALLLLL the time. However, it's not when I'm about to fall asleep, it's in school. Whenver I lay my head down to take a quick nap in school (I do it when I finish all my work, I have good grades okaaay), and almost always, I'll wake up but I can't move and I've gotten to the point where I expect it and sort of know how to stop it. If I just try and move my arms, I can get myself to move a little bit and I'll eventually wake up but it's terrifying because I can HEAR and SEE everything around me and I'm afraid something in the class will happen and I won't be able to wake up. One time freshman year, I went to sleep and I was in the point where I was awake but couldn't move and some guy next to me shook me and woke me up and my head shot up and I just sat there for a second, dazed, and then my head just fell and I whacked my head on the desk and shot back up. It hurt pretty bad and everyone laughed at me. :/ I had no control over my body when I whacked my head. It sucked :/. Another thing that happens to me that is sort of similar is that when I'm about to go sleep, when I get close, my whole body just jolts like an electric shock goes through my body and I wake up and it's painful. It happens a lot. I have very sporadic sleep patterns, I usually stare up pretty late so I don't get that much sleep. Also, I take straterra for my adhd so maybe that affects it as well.

Asylum
04-11-13, 08:28 AM
Mine was horrible, it came with the hallucinations. I had no idea it was a sleep disorder. I thought I was being attacked by these things - people were telling me I was being targeted by demons, Dr's wouldn't listen or help. I almost went crazy. And even now when I KNOW its a sleep disorder, when it actually happens its still scary. You can't tell yourself you're asleep when you're dreaming you're awake enough to tell yourself you're asleep - there's a creature curled up around your neck - you can see it, feel it, hear it; try telling yourself its not real! And you can't move. And you feel like you're being attacked. I'm still so angry that A) a lot of people tried to blackmail money out of me to clear out the so-called spirits in my house and B) not one ******* doctor could take 5 minutes to explain what was actually going on.

Fuzzy12
04-11-13, 08:39 AM
Mine was horrible, it came with the hallucinations. I had no idea it was a sleep disorder. I thought I was being attacked by these things - people were telling me I was being targeted by demons, Dr's wouldn't listen or help. I almost went crazy. And even now when I KNOW its a sleep disorder, when it actually happens its still scary. You can't tell yourself you're asleep when you're dreaming you're awake enough to tell yourself you're asleep - there's a creature curled up around your neck - you can see it, feel it, hear it; try telling yourself its not real! And you can't move. And you feel like you're being attacked. I'm still so angry that A) a lot of people tried to blackmail money out of me to clear out the so-called spirits in my house and B) not one ******* doctor could take 5 minutes to explain what was actually going on.

I don't think it's that well known. I'm pretty sure even most doctors wouldn't know about it. It is horrible though. I used to get it fairly regularly, usually several times at night. Now mostly I just get it when I nap in the afternoon (another reason why I try not to nap).

It does feel horrible and it's super scary. I get hallucinations too. Though I know that I'm having a sleep paralysis attack, I don't know at that moment that the hallucinations aren't real. Usually, I hear voices or people coming up the stairs. Once I felt someone strangling me, which freaked me out for several days after the incident.

Asylum
04-11-13, 09:24 AM
One doctor started to explain it to me, but when i said 'i'm not asleep when these things happen' (because i didn't know i was) she just dropped it. I was going ******* crazy and she couldn't take a minute to explain it. All i wanted was for one person to help me.

Fuzzy12
04-11-13, 09:28 AM
One doctor started to explain it to me, but when i said 'i'm not asleep when these things happen' (because i didn't know i was) she just dropped it. I was going ******* crazy and she couldn't take a minute to explain it. All i wanted was for one person to help me.

As far as I know, technically, you are not really asleep. The way it works is, I think, that normally, when you are falling asleep, your body gets paralysed so you don't act out your dreams. As you wake up, the paralysis is supposed to be undone. This mechanism is faulty when you have sleep paralysis, so you might wake up before the paralysis is completely undone.

Asylum
04-11-13, 09:32 AM
Yea i know that - now. I had to find out for myself what was happening, after years of not being able to sleep normally and being scared to death.

ryanchappell
04-11-13, 11:48 AM
I get out of it by breathing heavier, because I can't move anything, and breathing seems to be the only thing I can control. Then I snap out of it.

ryanchappell
04-11-13, 12:23 PM
Sleep paralysis is simply a glitch wherein the mind is awake (at least partially) but the body is asleep. Normally the two are in sync

Sleep paralysis is a normal sleep mechanism that prevents you from moving around and injuring yourself while dreaming. Like you said normally this is in sync with consciousness. You are conscious but the part of your nervous system which controls movement is suppressed. If the inverse happens, you are unconscious, but your movement is not suppressed, then you sleepwalk, toss and turn, swing arms and legs, all of which can be dangerous. I once dreamed that I that I was kicking a goal in soccer (I never played soccer much) hitting the ball over my head with my foot while doing a flip like Pele (https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=using%20google%20to%20r&tok=c9s36TYCL-3TT9s-sqLo7A&pq=using%20google%20to%20redirect%20&cp=42&gs_id=2z&xhr=t&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DerQdT UdeABI&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DerQdTUdeABI&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45107431,d.eWU&fp=11279a5a4563ae8e&biw=996&bih=676), I must have been exerting myself so hard in the dream that I actually kicked in my sleep and cracked a window payne with my toe, luckily I wasn't hurt!

slouchpotato
04-11-13, 08:47 PM
Been some time since i've had this, panicked each tho, trying to make a noise to alert but nothing, would like to experience it again and see what happens, maybe just sleep, that would be boring.

Asylum
04-11-13, 09:26 PM
Sleep paralysis is a normal sleep mechanism that prevents you from moving around and injuring yourself while dreaming. Like you said normally this is in sync with consciousness. You are conscious but the part of your nervous system which controls movement is suppressed. If the inverse happens, you are unconscious, but your movement is not suppressed, then you sleepwalk, toss and turn, swing arms and legs, all of which can be dangerous. I once dreamed that I that I was kicking a goal in soccer (I never played soccer much) hitting the ball over my head with my foot while doing a flip like Pele (https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=using%20google%20to%20r&tok=c9s36TYCL-3TT9s-sqLo7A&pq=using%20google%20to%20redirect%20&cp=42&gs_id=2z&xhr=t&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DerQdT UdeABI&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DerQdTUdeABI&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45107431,d.eWU&fp=11279a5a4563ae8e&biw=996&bih=676), I must have been exerting myself so hard in the dream that I actually kicked in my sleep and cracked a window payne with my toe, luckily I wasn't hurt!

Sleep paralysis might be normal, but the hallucinations and other glitches are not normal, that's why this is classed as a sleep disorder. And its very disturbing.

Fuzzy12
04-12-13, 08:34 AM
I get out of it by breathing heavier, because I can't move anything, and breathing seems to be the only thing I can control. Then I snap out of it.

I'll try breathing heavier next time. Thanks for the tip. :)

Normally, I just panic and try to scream or thrash about. Of course, I can't, which makes me more panicky. I've told my husband to wake me immediately when he hears any muffled sounds from me.

sarahsweets
04-12-13, 09:15 AM
forgot if i asked this but have you ever had a sleep study done?

Fuzzy12
04-12-13, 09:26 AM
forgot if i asked this but have you ever had a sleep study done?

I haven't. For me, it's not such a big deal. It doesn't happen that often anymore and except for a few moments of panic, there doesn't seem to be any other effect.

niyany
04-11-17, 09:29 AM
I've experienced it almost every night through my whole life until start my meds, which was 5 days ago.(I'm 32 new diagnosed) Sometimes it was more than once, sometimes I was spending the whole night with the night terrors. It doesn't matter that I lie down my back or sides. I was always sleepy because of that. I remember many days, I fall asleep in the classroom and damn thing finds me in there, too. I've sought a cure all my life, and every doctor told me the same thing: "naah its happen, not important". My last doctor also didn't pay attention to this specific problem but it's gone thanks to my med. My theory is our brains keep saying "let's go, do something" and our body can't keep pace with our rushing brain.