View Full Version : Switching from Ativan to Xanax? Should I?

v639dragoon
07-12-09, 11:42 PM
Hey,
I take adderall xr 30 mg in the morning along with adderall IR 15 mg in the afternoon. I already have social anxiety withou the adderall and the adderall just increases my anxiety a lot. I've tried numerous SSRI's but they seem to change my personality to much and I do not like that at all. I become basically an arrogant cocky prick. I just want to be a normal guy, able to get through the day not worrying about everything and having a panic attack. I currently take Ativan, about 2-3 mg twice a day. My dose over the past months has increased due to tolerance. I feel Ativan is starting to lose its effectiveness and is just making me sleepy now and the doctor will just increase my dose. I might ask to switch to a different benzo. Which do you believe is most effective for treating social anxiety and panic disorder? Anyone with similar experiences with words of advice to a 19 year old college student just trying to get to class every day without having stress and sometimes even having to skip/leave class because of panic attacks :(?

What would the advantage be of taking Xanax over Ativan be? Anyone know the dosage ratio between xanax and ativan?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I also take 10mg ambien at night to sleep because i have insomnia.

tomlinson
07-13-09, 01:47 AM
Xanax is stronger than Ativan (lorazepam).

But if your problem is anxiety, I definitely recommend Klonopin (clonazepam) over Ativan or Xanax (alprazolam). Xanax is effective in dealing with anxiety, but in my experience it really puts you into a "zone" where you don't get much done. It's a good sleeping pill, but you already take one of those (i.e. Ambien).

Klonopin is highly effective in treating anxiety, panic attacks, and related issues. It can also help you sleep - while not zonking you out as much as Xanax (or Ambien) does.

If you go onto Klonopin, you might not need Ambien any longer. Definitely speak to your doc about Klonopin.