View Full Version : Ear Plugs

Danuts
07-19-09, 05:53 PM
To all of you who are like me and have always had trouble falling asleep...Whether it's outside noise or noise (thoughts) inside your head that keep you from being able to fall asleep. (or both in my case)

I have found that if I use ear plugs I fall asleep about 50% faster than without . I use Mack's silicone ear plugs. It's like even the thoughts going through my head are silenced, it really helps me!

Has anyone else found that using ear plugs helps them fall asleep?:confused:

Fraz_2006
07-19-09, 06:00 PM
Well the only noise I hear at night is cars driving on the motorway outside.... but it doesnt really seem to bother me.

I find that listen to music actually keeps me awake.... but it could be due to the fact that I listen to "pick me up" type of music.

I'm sure if I was into more "relaxing" music... it would probably help.

wsmac
07-25-09, 04:29 AM
I don't like to wear earplugs when I'm awake... wouldn't want to do it asleep.

I have tinnitus and even with earplugs... there's that noise to contend with.
It's actually not too bad, most times I ignore it.

I have fallen asleep with my earbuds or headphones on... I usually wake up later and remove them.
I have a meditation program on my iPod Touch that I listen to for relaxation sometimes when I lie down for the night.

Personally I'd rather just have a super-insulated room that kept all the noise out!;)

KitKat
09-18-09, 04:56 PM
I hate the feel of earplugs. I also might need to hear certain things during the night:

younger kids crying or needing something
younger kids waking up before me, needing supervision
alarm going off in the morning
doorbell, knock or phone ringing
teen still watching TV at 3am
teen sneaking out
teen whispering "mom!" at 6am (trying not to wake dad), so I can sign a form/provide money/etc
toilet still running
bad storm
search helicopter nearby
someone breaking in
noises if house is on fire and smoke alarm hasn't gone off yet
cat left on back porch meowing to come in
cat knocking something over
cat puking (LOL, less stain if cleaned up asap)
Knowing I might be oblivious to any of those things, causes enough anxiety that I wouldn't sleep well at all.

Impromptu_DTour
09-18-09, 05:08 PM
i use earplugs and noise canceling closed headphones when im at home and when im sleeping (not the headphones though).. i dont use them all the time, but im sensitive to sound as it is, and i find my adhd becomes more intense throughout the year in waves (if that makes sense), so when my adhd is up, i use noise canceling stuff so i dont freak out.

Wal mart carries a great stack of earplugs for like 2 or 3 bucks, they reduce noise by 32 dB.. you'll find them in the gun section ;)

I_DTour

Logic
09-19-09, 10:01 AM
I've got some moulded ear-plugs from when I worked with offshore machinery (incredibly loud environment), and after I left that job, I generally only used them when I went out to work in nightclubs as security.

But, recently I've noticed that I'm quite intolerant of noises and have begun wearing them when I go to the supermarket or when I had to stand in the packing warehouse at my (old) job (I left two days ago).
That warehouse drove me nuts; flourescent lights, loud radio, loud people, stuff getting thrown about and clattering on the floor unexpectedly... ugh.

My intolerance to noise comes and goes with varying severity, as does my intolerance to light and certain environments.

Logic

hsoJ
09-19-09, 02:36 PM
Bah. I hate hearing myself breathe... and my hollow head + earplugs... jeez. The noise never stops. Plus the ringing that happens constantly. And my nose whistles due to me breaking it a few times and with ear plugs, the whistling drives me batty. It drives me batty anyway.

And when you roll over on your side and the plug is being jabbed into your ear further than it should be and you wake up with one in your mouth for some reason... eh.

Danuts
09-19-09, 03:21 PM
I only wear one in the ear that is not against my pillow. That way I can hear noises that I need to like an alarm, my son crying, etc. The pillow muffles sound, but not enough so that I don't hear anything.

chamaleon
09-19-09, 05:15 PM
got earplus last week and wore them during the day today as took a saturday break from meds. Gonna wear em in bed tonight as havent been able to sleep :)

ginniebean
09-19-09, 05:48 PM
Tried it but it made me dizzy. I do however recommend an eyemask.

John1az0
05-17-11, 05:03 PM
I started doing the same thing on my own as a test several months ago and it has been amazing difference and have been doing it ever since. Its the best of both worlds. I will still hear critical stuff however most everything annoying gets drowned out that I don't need to hear. I cannot sleep with TWO earplugs because all I hear is my body (breathing, etc.) which is almost worse. I figured this out as I had trouble going to sleep because my wife has this problem where she likes to breathe... all night. ;)

If you have any problems sleeping I'd also suggest the 1 ear plug trial.

I only wear one in the ear that is not against my pillow. That way I can hear noises that I need to like an alarm, my son crying, etc. The pillow muffles sound, but not enough so that I don't hear anything.

danielj
05-19-11, 10:05 PM
You know, I have found that I have to use ear-plugs whenever I go to bed because I no longer can get to sleep easily. However, I can still hear enough if there is something going on that I can react appropriately.

tired1823
05-19-11, 10:09 PM
I'll have to look into those. Good to know, thank you. I also found that Simply Sleep or night time sleep aid (over the counter) both help. They are great for when you forgot and had a diet coke at 3pm and have to get a good night's sleep. They are good to have on hand. They contain the ingredient in Tylenol PM, but don't have the pain killer. They're non habit forming.

danielj
05-19-11, 10:13 PM
I know that my medication definitely helps me get to sleep but the ear plugs are almost a must regardless of if my fiancee is with me or not.

rioch
05-20-11, 07:55 AM
I started using earplugs about 4 years ago and haven't gone back. It's a shame because it feels strange shutting out the world like that, but it almost always means a good night sleep.

Without earplugs, the smallest sounds will grab my attention and get me thinking.

danielj
05-20-11, 03:21 PM
I started using earplugs about 4 years ago and haven't gone back. It's a shame because it feels strange shutting out the world like that, but it almost always means a good night sleep.

Without earplugs, the smallest sounds will grab my attention and get me thinking.

It is sad that we are so sensitive that we get to a point where we have to do that because our brains won't shut down long enough to be able to tune that little bit of sound out and allow us to sleep peacefully...

Lunacie
05-20-11, 03:27 PM
I've always found ear plugs too uncomfortable to sleep in, but that's probably because I have SPD (sensory processing disorder), which of course makes any noise at all too annoying for me to sleep. I do better with an electric fan running as my brain can focus on that sound and ignore most other noises and intrusive thoughts. But - it has to be a fan that doesn't have a wobble or squeak. I wish I could have my ceiling fan going while I sleep during the summer months, but alas it makes a noise that drives me bonkers. In fact, it's been 8 years since I bought a new box fan and this one is starting to sound "old", so I should go shopping for a new fan before they all get put back in the stockroom in the fall.

Shanonanon
05-20-11, 03:37 PM
Oh boy meeee tooooooooooo.