View Full Version : 10 mg IR not enough

Chorz32
07-20-09, 03:04 AM
I just received Adderall medication from the pharmacy two days ago. I'm supposed to take one 10mg pill in the morning and another in the afternoon sometime. The effect of one 10mg pill seems to last about only 1-2 hours. I've already scheduled an appointment with my doctor and I'll request a higher dosage (20mg). But until then, do you think it'll be okay if I just take 2 of these 10mg pills at once in the morning, and not take one in the afternoon?

I used to take 20mg single pills (XR, once a day) when I was in high school. I haven't taken it in about a year (excluding the past two days), and I'm just wondering if it's safe to start taking 2 10mg pills at the same time.

I'm 19 if it matters.

also, have any of you on that dosage ever had complications while driving? thanks

Prusilusken
07-20-09, 06:59 AM
Hi Chor32,
If I were you, I'd try to stay on the dose you're prescribed untill you see the doc next time. Yes, I know it sucks when you know it's not enough, but I think you'll be much better off sending a signal of cooperation and impulse control.
It might well backfire severely if you up the dose on your own.
Try to wait with stuff like that untill your new doc knows you better, so he'll have a reason to trust you not doing this because of an addictive personality.

I'm sure that medically, it's pretty safe, but I'm also sure it's not to be considered safe for your doc/patient relationship.

May I ask, how come you took the year off meds?

I hardly know anything about Adderal since we don't have it here at all, but I know that for the first month or so, I didn't feel safe to operate a vehicle on Ritalin because I sometimes felt slow or even tired. Just promise me you'll be careful. If in doubt, use public transportation or get someone else to drive you where you need to go, the same way you'd do if you were otherwise unwell, tired, or had alcohol or something else in your system that might/might not impeed your driving skills or reaction time in general.

Good luck with everything, and hope you'll be on the correct dose very soon!

Childe Roland
07-20-09, 08:14 AM
Don't take 20mg IR at the same time. That puts twice as much Adderall in your system at one time as you got from the 20mg XR. Maybe just follow your doctor's instructions? You paid him money for his expert medical advice.

Lukw10
07-20-09, 12:38 PM
Just call your doctor and see if you can take the two or one and a half.. He'll likely say yes, you won't get in trouble = problem solved. Although frankly you sound like you'd benefit from an XR formulation.

Also driving on adderall is completely fine once you are used to the medication. Start driving and if you do not feel comfortable then turn around and go home.. I mean seriously it says it right on the bottle and info packet.

simple questions-->simple answers, man just think about it

Chorz32
07-20-09, 01:21 PM
Hi Chor32,
If I were you, I'd try to stay on the dose you're prescribed untill you see the doc next time. Yes, I know it sucks when you know it's not enough, but I think you'll be much better off sending a signal of cooperation and impulse control.
It might well backfire severely if you up the dose on your own.
Try to wait with stuff like that untill your new doc knows you better, so he'll have a reason to trust you not doing this because of an addictive personality.

I'm sure that medically, it's pretty safe, but I'm also sure it's not to be considered safe for your doc/patient relationship.

May I ask, how come you took the year off meds?

I hardly know anything about Adderal since we don't have it here at all, but I know that for the first month or so, I didn't feel safe to operate a vehicle on Ritalin because I sometimes felt slow or even tired. Just promise me you'll be careful. If in doubt, use public transportation or get someone else to drive you where you need to go, the same way you'd do if you were otherwise unwell, tired, or had alcohol or something else in your system that might/might not impeed your driving skills or reaction time in general.

Good luck with everything, and hope you'll be on the correct dose very soon!

Ok I'll take your word for it.

I was a year off meds because I only take them during school. After high school, I wasn't completely sure whether or not I wanted to continue education, but I've decided to (and I'm glad I have).

Once I took the first 10mg pill, I did feel a little drowsy, so I won't drive until until after a few more dosages. So I can get used to it, and all.

Thanks for the informative response, it was helpful.

Chorz32
07-20-09, 01:24 PM
Don't take 20mg IR at the same time. That puts twice as much Adderall in your system at one time as you got from the 20mg XR. Maybe just follow your doctor's instructions? You paid him money for his expert medical advice.

The reason why I had been considering it was because I knew he would prescribe a 20mg dosage for me next time I see him. He gave me 10mg because I requested it, but unfortunately the effect has lessened over the years and I wasn't aware until yesterday.

Chorz32
07-20-09, 01:28 PM
Just call your doctor and see if you can take the two or one and a half.. He'll likely say yes, you won't get in trouble = problem solved. Although frankly you sound like you'd benefit from an XR formulation.

Also driving on adderall is completely fine once you are used to the medication. Start driving and if you do not feel comfortable then turn around and go home.. I mean seriously it says it right on the bottle and info packet.

simple questions-->simple answers, man just think about it

Yeah... that's the reason I asked about it - because it says it might impair driving on the bottle. I wanted to know if anybody had experienced impaired driving is all.

Simple question? I've never been on any other prescription, and I was considering doubling the dosage 2 days after receiving the prescription. I was looking for insight on this decision given the medication I am taking, and thankfully the first response was helpful. Thanks for posting, anyway.

Prusilusken
07-20-09, 07:29 PM
You're welcome. :)

Trust your own instinct when it comes to driving.
Least bit of doubt, just wait a bit longer. I'm pretty sure that the side effects that affects your driving (fx drowsyness) will diminish before too long, but people are of course very different. What I can tell you now, is that after the initial "red triangle" side effects wore off, my own driving has actually improved a bit - even friends and family have commented on it. I've heard the same story from other ADHDers, both with and without hyperactivity and/or impulsiveness.

Good luck with your meds and try to be patient - even if you need to up the dose by next appointment, your body will probably have less problems handling a larger dose of meds and fillers having had time to adjust to whatever side effects you feel now, and the transistion to a higher dose more smoothly. :)

Take care and good luck with your new education!

KillZone
07-20-09, 08:46 PM
I just received Adderall medication from the pharmacy two days ago. I'm supposed to take one 10mg pill in the morning and another in the afternoon sometime. The effect of one 10mg pill seems to last about only 1-2 hours. I've already scheduled an appointment with my doctor and I'll request a higher dosage (20mg). But until then, do you think it'll be okay if I just take 2 of these 10mg pills at once in the morning, and not take one in the afternoon?

I used to take 20mg single pills (XR, once a day) when I was in high school. I haven't taken it in about a year (excluding the past two days), and I'm just wondering if it's safe to start taking 2 10mg pills at the same time.

I'm 19 if it matters.

also, have any of you on that dosage ever had complications while driving? thanks

19 and only taking 10mg? I'm 16 and I started 5 months ago, I started with 20mg it still works good, but doesn't last long enough so I am taking vyvanse for all day effects and 20mg of adderall for shorter periods of work.

Kerstin
07-21-09, 06:23 PM
19 and only taking 10mg? I'm 16 and I started 5 months ago, I started with 20mg it still works good, but doesn't last long enough so I am taking vyvanse for all day effects and 20mg of adderall for shorter periods of work.

Age doesn't have much to do with dosage, except for kids. Its VERY normal doctors to start people at a pretty low dosage such as 10mg and gradually move up if/when they need to.