View Full Version : Odd

trevors_mom
07-21-09, 10:41 AM
Trevor was diagnosed recently with ODD. It is my understanding that there is no medication that can help so I am wondering if others have had sucess with ODD children and how you did it.

Imnapl
07-21-09, 10:56 AM
Parenting classes are a big help. They help you see what is working and what isn't.

trevors_mom
07-21-09, 11:11 AM
Where do you find parenting classes? I will ask his therapist about this thanks

Imnapl
07-21-09, 11:24 AM
trevors_mom, your profile states that one of your children has been diagnosed with PDD. Is this the same child who has recently been diagnosed with ODD? Oppositional behaviour is part of PDD and I'm not sure I understand why they feel the need to emphasis it as a separate problem. I would try to find an agency that deals with children with developmental issues to help you.

trevors_mom
07-21-09, 09:59 PM
Yes sam kid, He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD and she said he was on the spectrum and is having him tested for Autism. So ODD is part of the PDD? I am so confused.

Imnapl
07-21-09, 10:15 PM
So ODD is part of the PDD? I am so confused.In a word? Yes. If it was my child, I would focus my attention on learning everything I can about Pervasive Developmental Disorders. The symptoms of kids on the Austism Spectrum can look like they are being oppositional when in fact, they are just trying to maintain equilibrium.

trevors_mom
07-22-09, 01:53 AM
Thank you!

Imnapl
07-22-09, 02:11 AM
You are very welcome. I believe that if we err, we should err on the side of the child. People misunderstand the impulsivity or the hyperfocus and the lack of focus of ADHD and believe the behaviour is intentional. With kids in the autism spectrum, people often see oppositional behaviour when it is actually the rigidity of someone who struggles to make sense of their environment. To me the important issue here is intent. Am I making any sense?

Imnapl
07-22-09, 02:14 AM
Samantha, do you really have five kids? I always wanted a big family until I had one very hyperactive ADHD baby.

trevors_mom
07-22-09, 11:27 AM
yes I have 5 4 bio and one step son, it is really fun but challenging especially since I have 1 teen and 2 pre teens. The 2 year old is he easiest one some days :)

EYEFORGOT
06-23-10, 11:34 AM
My friend has a child with ADHD and ODD. He is a real handful, but one thing that helped him a lot was sports. She put him in football of all things and he actually lashed out less. Then there's baseball, basketball and a class on coordination.

He's homeschooled because the school would either mandate him to be medicated or send him to a school for troubled kids; she wants neither. I don't know how she does it, but that's what's working for them.

Dizfriz
06-23-10, 03:15 PM
ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) can be very connected with ADHD. Often when the ADHD is treated the ODD goes away. Sometimes I think combined ADHD and ODD is redundant in that you seldom see one without the other. Many kids with PDD are also diagnosed with ADHD and the behavior management techniques are similar.

One of the most effective things you can do when working with ODD is parent training in behavior management.

To give you a head start with working with kids who are ADHD and ODD thee are several short essays at http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130

For ADHD, look at the 30% rule/

The one on point of performance and external consequences works well with ADHD, ODD and PDD or Ashperger kids and is pretty successful with NT kids especially the younger ones..

The one on acknowledgments works well with all kids.

Good luck and do not get too worried about the ODD diagnosis. Much of the time I goes away on its own in later childhood.

Good luck and keep plugging.

Dizfriz