View Full Version : adderall vs wellbutrin

johnny s.
07-21-09, 04:02 PM
what can adderall do for me that wellbutrin can't?

they both increase dopamine and neuephrine (or whatever)

so what's the difference?

rossragsdale
07-21-09, 04:56 PM
I'm wondering this too, I'm going to need to get prescribed to one.

Kerstin
07-21-09, 06:15 PM
I think Adderall is better at controlling my ADHD, but that's just me. I focus much better and are much more with the real world instead of running around in my head. Wellbutrin just doesn't seem to help much. *However*, I have never taken JUST Wellbutrin. I've always taken it with Adderall, so my assessment of one verses the other is probably not the best. Personally, I do not think they work well together, but some people swear by a combination of the two. I don't think there is one drug for everyone. If there was, we'd all be on it and this medicine area would be very boring.

Kiri
07-21-09, 10:14 PM
I take both generic adderall, and generic wellbutrin (bupropion). I actually take the bupropion for depression, and had been taking it for some time before I was diagnosed ADD and started adderall. The bupropion levels out my moods so that they are not constantly fluctuating. If I run out of my bupropion before I can get a refill, both my husband and I can tell a huge difference in my attitude. That being said--bupropion works great for my depression, but does nothing for my ADD.

The adderall is what has really helped with the ADD, because it helps me concentrate, and it blocks out a lot of my mental "static."

I think the main difference between the two is that adderall is a stimulant, but bupropion is not. It effects the same chemicals in the brain, but not in the same way.

johnny s.
07-21-09, 10:27 PM
thanks

I added 100mg welbutrin to my 3x day 10mg adderall.

I think I feel the welbutrin, and I think I like it.

guess next month when I go back to the doc I'll talk about upping it.

silent73
07-22-09, 05:48 PM
I take both generic adderall, and generic wellbutrin (bupropion). I actually take the bupropion for depression, and had been taking it for some time before I was diagnosed ADD and started adderall. The bupropion levels out my moods so that they are not constantly fluctuating. If I run out of my bupropion before I can get a refill, both my husband and I can tell a huge difference in my attitude. That being said--bupropion works great for my depression, but does nothing for my ADD.

The adderall is what has really helped with the ADD, because it helps me concentrate, and it blocks out a lot of my mental "static."

I think the main difference between the two is that adderall is a stimulant, but bupropion is not. It effects the same chemicals in the brain, but not in the same way.

I am glad I read this post!
I was taking Wellbutrin (bupropion) months before I started Adderall..
They are different in that Bupropion is a DNRI and Adderall is a stimulant..
Basically, bupropion does ihibit the reuptake of dopamine (as well as epinephrine) but Adderall is more of a MAOI and also stimulates Dopamine where as bupropion doesn't stimulate more dopamine, but rather traps it.

I loooove bupropion and didn't realise that until I tried to quit it.
I went down from 300mg a day Bupropion (without Adderall) to 100mg a day with Adderall..
The Bupropion, absolutely, gives me energy everyday and treats depression.
I do concentrate pretty well with bupropion, but only after I had been taking it for over a month..

Adderall gave me about, I don't know, maybe twice as much concentration / focus, possibly more and is well worth it..
And also, I don't need much Bupropion anymore, 100mg feels like I am taking a gram when mixed with Adderall.. I could even probably get by with 50mg and it would maybe feel stronger than when I was taking 300mg...
I think this is because the Adderall is potentiating the Bupropion, possibly they potentiate eachother.

superstressed
07-31-09, 05:54 AM
Did any of you get the jitters from taking these meds together when you first started taking them? A new pdoc I went to wanted me to take Wellbutrin and Prozac AND discontinue Klonopin and Adderall, but I can't function without the Adderall or Klonopin. I guess I'll be stuck with the old Pdoc I had who has no professionalism to him at all, and he makes you visit him every month just to pick up scripts. I don't know what to do.

PedroDaGr8
08-02-09, 10:17 PM
My doctor has suggested Wellbutrin in the past but I have always been hesitant to take it. Not sure how it is benefitial compared to the SSRI I am currently taking. Dunno, I may still consider it in the future if it seems to help with the ADD as well.

For the guys only Ladies skip reading this part:
One thing I came across while researching Wellbutrin, was that in guys it helps reverse the flacid shrinkage of the male *ahem*. As most guys know ADderall can cause its resting size to be smaller than normal, while its active size is unaffected. One article I read mentioned wellbutrin helps with this. Personally, that's not enough of a reason for me to take it but just figured I would mention this.

gnbeg
08-03-09, 02:36 PM
Wellbutrin helped my mood and depression. Didn't realize how much until I went off it. But, it did very little to help my ADHD symptions. Adderall has been MUCH more effective.