View Full Version : My feet

wsmac
07-25-09, 04:52 AM
I think I talked abit about this a while back... I love to go barefoot.

When I need to focus and/or study, if I can walk around barefoot I actually feel better.. more calm. I think I study better.
Something about the tactile sense from whatever I am walking on and my barefeet.

I am this way with my hands too... I like to check out textures, and sometimes I roll things in my hands in a sort of trance.

Not sure is this has anything to do with my ADHD, though.

mctavish23
07-25-09, 05:19 PM
There's currently some conjecture over whether or not Sensory Integration Disorder

is an actual "disorder," versus a theoretical construct.

I could care less, as I definately have whatever it is or isn't.

Anecdotally, I've seen a strong connection between the 2 symptomologies;

so much so that I've incorporated a series of related questions into my basic Intake

questionnaire at work.

It's not standardized by any means,but it is helpful in identifying additional comorbid

sources of input & distraction,etc.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

stef
07-26-09, 04:55 AM
at work i have a little pile of twisted up paper clips - helps me focus when I'm on the phone.

FinallyAnswered
07-26-09, 07:54 AM
wsmac......the more I think about it, the more I believe that your penchant to "get back to nature" with the bare feet thing makes perfect sense for the ADDer.

One of the common denominators we all seem to share is the need for stimulation, whether it be sensory or emotional. With the advent of footwear, humans have denied themselves the benefits of the extra stimulation walking barefoot provides.

One only has to take off their shoes and stroll through a field of soft, dewy grass to understand where I'm coming from.....it feels great. I think wearing shoes when out in nature is almost like wearing earplugs to a concert or closing your eyes while walking through an art gallery.

You may be on to something here......I'm barefoot as we speak. (Although I can't do it out in the back yard....it's a dog thing....they leave landmines all over the yard and stepping barefoot into a 2 lb Labrador poop is a sensory experience I don't want a second time! :-) )

Retromancer
07-26-09, 08:01 AM
I feel the same way about wearing pants ... in my apartment! ;)

doiadhd
07-26-09, 08:13 AM
You may be on to something here......I'm barefoot as we speak.

Me too!!;)

FinallyAnswered
07-26-09, 08:19 AM

*Note to self.....always call before visiting Retro.....:eek:

pADDyjay
07-26-09, 09:04 AM

okay I cant help it I gotta ask...have you ever forgot to put them on as youre running out the front door?:rolleyes:

stef
07-26-09, 09:14 AM
always barefoot inside (wearing pants though!)
I loved going barefoot in summer - a warm smooth sidewalk, was so nice!

phEight
07-26-09, 10:05 AM
I had a math professor teach bare foot, was pretty interesting lol

doiadhd
07-26-09, 12:47 PM
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Me too!;)

Retromancer
07-26-09, 07:37 PM
Once -- the nice policeman drove me back home...

okay I cant help it I gotta ask...have you ever forgot to put them on as youre running out the front door?:rolleyes:

FinallyAnswered
07-26-09, 07:54 PM
I had a math professor teach bare foot, was pretty interesting lol

He taught "bare foot"? Wow....is that an elective course? I can't imagine it being too difficult.

"Okay class.....welcome to Bare Foot 101. We're going to start by untying laces. Those of you wearing sandals, flip-flops, or pumps, please be patient until the Lacers catch up".

(You guys CAN'T leave me an opening like this.....I'm an ADD wiseazz.....I'll always take it!! :D:D:D:D)

Retromancer
07-26-09, 08:03 PM
Yep it is. Took it at the University of the Ozarks. (They also had a "Dressin' To Avoid Arrest" class there...)

He taught "bare foot"? Wow....is that an elective course? I can't imagine it being too difficult.

"Okay class.....welcome to Bare Foot 101. We're going to start by untying laces. Those of you wearing sandals, flip-flops, or pumps, please be patient until the Lacers catch up".

(You guys CAN'T leave me an opening like this.....I'm an ADD wiseazz.....I'll always take it!! :D:D:D:D)

firstdesserts
07-26-09, 08:40 PM
It's not standardized by any means,but it is helpful in identifying additional comorbid sources of input & distraction,etc.
tc
mctavish23
(Robert)

This is encouraging to read! I am glad this is even being considered at all professionally. I think I'll bring this up in the next meeting of our ADD group. The subject is only been mentioned in passing but often enough that I think it is more of an issue than we are aware of yet.

And yeah, I'm barefoot now too! It really bothers me to walk on a messy floor at work (with boots on at construction sites) because my feet are so sensitive. I cannot even use a wash cloth or brush on 'em and have to be careful when I clip my nails 'cuz they are so ticklish (the rest of me isn't).

Nothin' like watering the lawn barefoot, except walking in fresh snow!

mctavish23
07-26-09, 08:55 PM
What I've done,which means it's obviously strictly anecdotal, is to comprise a series of

questions based on my own experiences.

The end result is to simply suggest that,if there appear to be a number of positive

responses, then it might be worth talking to the child's ( as I work with kids),

pediatrician/primary care physician,etc.,for an OT referral.

I also emphasize Informed Consent,in that I point out the "controversy," as well as

reiterate how the questions aren't meant to be diagnostic; as only an Occupational

Therapist (OT) can make that call.

As part of that process, I also make sure they understand that this would be strictly

ancillary and not primary; as ADHD remains the main problem.

It's just my way of trying to be as thorough as possible.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

chellechelle
07-26-09, 09:11 PM
i absolutely hate socks and have never worn them for longer then five minutes inside my house. my whole life.