View Full Version : Why can't I enjoy music the way others seem to??

rainy_daze
08-03-09, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone! :) I'm a 25 year old female and I've very recently been diagnosed with ADHD and am now on Straterra...I'm wondering why I've never really been able to enjoy music...I find it annoying...it could be the most wonderful sounds ever produced by mankind and after listening to it for over 30 seconds to a couple minutes I start to get bored and start feeling like it's just noise. I have some songs I really love, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to, when I start missing one particular song for eg., I play it for a minute or 2, enjoy it for that short amount of time, then I turn it off, it starts to bug me. Is anyone else like this??

The strange thing is I can enjoy the other 'finer' things in life by watching/observing, feeling and tasting...I'm just not that great at listening...not even to beautiful sounds! Funnily I've always wanted to play the sax and I have a deep appreciation for jazz and blues!

ralphpenguin
08-03-09, 02:12 PM
I seem to appreciate music much more during jogging or other types of working out. Perhaps you can try to run around your neighborhood with a mp3 player. I also enjoy music more when I am cleaning something.

doiadhd
08-03-09, 03:42 PM
I go through phases of music....

I now its a warped invention,to jog memories and start thoughts....now times,that by how many listeners there are and it ='s alot of people thinking simular/exact same thoughts.......weird.....

Other times i try not to remember this and just try to listen to the beat and not the words......if i'm up or down i find it very difficult to listen-drives me mad-strangers thoughts inside my head!Hate jazzzzzzzzzz :)But like blues.....I have no preference for music,i let it hit me,when it hits me......

rainy_daze
08-03-09, 04:25 PM
I seem to appreciate music much more during jogging or other types of working out

Oh yes! that I can identify with! I do need music to work out...usually hip hop or techno something with lotsa beats to keep me moving, but I have to watch the music videos and not just listen...I need the visual stimulation too, nevermind how corny or trashy the music videos are, I need to watch and listen and not just listen...funny thing is I don't even like hip hop or techno! lol! The kinda music I do enjoy I can't stand listening to for too long, and the music I usually can't stand I need it to get me moving! now isn't that something....

Thanks for your thoughts fellas!

firstdesserts
08-03-09, 04:50 PM
I have a degree in music. I cannot read or study with it on. I am easily bored by it. I'm also very easily distracted and consumed by it. I think of a melody, chord progression, bass run, or any little thing and next thing I realize is that I can't think of anything else. Cartoon theme songs, jazz, pop, classical, electronic/tech - doesn't matter. I have a habit of hearing a favorite song on the radio while driving and suddenly wondering what happened to it. I got bored and changed the station. I also have a crummy sense of rhythm.

I really have a hard time writing while listening to or overhearing music. I just had to this time anyway. As I'm posting this, my daugher is doing her Taylor Swift on a 12-string guitar imitation in the living room (a really nice job too! I'm not just biased - I'm also extremely picky about how music should be!)

I think if you keep at it you will find a way to enjoy this stuff. I've had to go out of my way to figure out how to be able to listen and play (headphones while working or mowing the lawn, or downstairs in the morning before anyone is awake). I become grouchy and hard to live with when I don't do enough of both.

olavia
08-03-09, 04:57 PM
I can identify. I also felt really annoyed about it because I love music. I think itīs related to trouble with keeping the attention on the music and the sequence or possibly with auditory processing. I am a visual processor in general, I am very bad at getting things that are said to me, remembering lectures etc. I noticed it got better on Strattera sometimes and then my ability to enjoy music also increased, did you notice any difference?

I also noticed I enjoy music much more if accompagnied by visual stimuli like dancing or a film. Twice I have seen a film piece directed in order to fit with the music,like an integrated piece. It made me feel something close to ecstacy, I had tears in my eyes and everything, it was amazing. The guy who made it said he somehow tried to synchronise the music with pictures according to some kind of waves, I donīt remember.

rainy_daze
08-03-09, 05:05 PM
I can identify. I also felt really annoyed about it because I love music. I think itīs related to trouble with keeping the attention on the music and the sequence or possibly with auditory processing. I am a visual processor in general, I am very bad at getting things that are said to me, remembering lectures etc. I noticed it got better on Strattera sometimes and then my ability to enjoy music also increased, did you notice any difference?

I also noticed I enjoy music much more if accompagnied by visual stimuli like dancing or a film. Twice I have seen a film piece directed in order to fit with the music,like an integrated piece. It made me feel something close to ecstacy, I had tears in my eyes and everything, it was amazing. The guy who made it said he somehow tried to synchronise the music with pictures according to some kind of waves, I donīt remember.

yes!!! everything you said applies to me! lol...incredible...it's like we're the same person!
I just started on Straterra a day ago, so I'm not seeing much differences yet....keeping my fingers crossed :)

selby
08-07-09, 04:12 AM
I don't like music since I started stimulant meds.

I started liking it again after starting an anti-depressant..
I do like music if I haven't taken a stimulant that day..
something about creativity probably.

iggypop
08-07-09, 04:18 AM
do you have a history of depression?

Mincan
08-07-09, 02:26 PM
What does a history of depression have to do with music and taking a stimulant, I'm interested and guessing...

Imnapl
08-14-09, 11:18 AM
What does a history of depression have to do with music and taking a stimulant, I'm interested and guessing...Perhaps you missed the post that Iggypop was responding to.

I don't like music since I started stimulant meds.

I started liking it again after starting an anti-depressant..

2Springers_Matt
08-14-09, 12:26 PM
I am somewhat like that. Most music bores me after a minute or two. However, I listen primarily to Grateful Dead and Phish. Both being Jam bands, both are highly improvisational, and no two versions of a song are ever identical. I find myself really diving into the music behind the words, listening for the changes and the 'sweet spot' when it all comes together. I also love dancing to this music as well, so listening brings back memories of concerts past when I heard the song.

I hardly ever listen to new music or non improv. I love Jazzy funk too. Anything where improv is key...(yep, even some techno)!

rickymooston
12-30-09, 05:30 AM
it could be the most wonderful sounds ever produced by mankind and after listening to it for over 30 seconds to a couple minutes I start to get bored and start feeling like it's just noise.

Interesting. It has an almost opposite effect on me. Music can sometimes make me high or even massively depressed. its really destracting.

Maybe the fact you are not musical is something you got to accept?

You only hear noise? I hear music when the vaccuum is on.

loverainbow
12-30-15, 04:39 PM
My friend notices that I never, ever finished watching YouTube vids. One minutes in, change to other vids. It is impossible to watch videos with me.

Roundmouth
12-30-15, 07:49 PM
I really think music sucks but it's complex. I've composed some of my own and practiced some instruments now and then. I could actually say that music is the one and only red thread in my life, but usually I don't want to hear it.

OhLookABunny
03-04-17, 01:28 AM
I've always preferred melodic music to anything very up-tempo. And by the same token, I have difficulty picking out the beat. As a kid taking piano lessons I was a great sight reader, but hated it when my teacher wanted me to count the beats. For one thing, it just seemed like too much to do at once. My brain just said "Nope!" If I knew the song anyway, counting seemed really pointless.

I hate how most stores anymore assume everyone wants to have up-tempo, high pitched, what I think of as "shrieky" music (by female singers especially) playing over the speakers. I can't tune it out and it ruins my concentration on my shopping.

Postulate
03-13-17, 01:40 PM
You don't like...not even this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txHGxJRwtQ