View Full Version : Was diagnosed with BPD again

Ethereal
08-06-09, 04:03 PM
After my thread about me thinking i suffer from BPD, I was asked to give an update- here it is.

I admitted myself to a mental institution Sunday morning, as the situation had gotten so desperate, it seemed like the only option. After staying there for two days, I'd had enough, and left the hospital, as they promised me intensive outpatient treatment. I had my first session as an outpatient with my new shrink today, and she confirmed what I already knew, but hoped I was wrong about- I suffer from BPD.

As the meds that can help people with BPD have a negative impact on the Dopamine levels in the brain, they're not an option, even on 300 mg Wellbutrin a day I still lack Dopamine. I guess therapy is my only hope- and it's going to take a lot of hard work, pain and effort to get better. I'm not sure I have the strength to get through this.

ADDMagnet
08-08-09, 10:19 PM
I strongly believe you can be helped with the "right" medication and good therapy. My husband, teenage son and adult daughter have all been diagnosed with BPD and just this past week I had convinced my sister to see our doctor (while visiting me from another state) for her "treatment resistant" depression and she was diagnosed with BPD as well.

The doctor we see has treated thousands of patients with BPD and he treats it differently than most. He believes it it is primarily a medical problem (somewhat akin to epilepsy) that causes psychological problems as well.

My sister is a pharmacist and she was a little skeptical and resistant to the possiblity of having BPD but after seeing and talking to the doctor, she has begun to make sense of it all. As a medical doctor, he was better able to answer her questions and concerns that she had regarding the medications and how they would work, especially since she had previously tried so many different anti-depressants with minimal results.

Although there haven't been many studies done on the subject, one study did show a high correlation between untreated ADHD and BPD. I know at least a dozen people who have been diagnosed with BPD and more than half of them have ADHD as well.

You may want to check out the website that is run by the doctor my family sees for BPD--www.biologicalunhappiness.com He has had patients come from all over the U.S. and more than a dozen different countries for treatment of their BPD. I think you will find the information very interesting.

I hope that you will be able to find the best help available. You are far from alone. The most recent research has confirmed that 6% of the population suffers from BPD, with the rates between men and women being almost equal.

anon9000
08-08-09, 11:09 PM
I saw a great doc on BPD. I'll post it if i can find it.

ADDnBeyond
08-11-09, 03:49 PM
hey Ethereal,

I'm glad ur getting treatment. The best thing to do for BPD if change the way u see things (with the help of professional). I think medication can be great for a lot of ppl but u really need to change ur thoughts and behavior and that is how u will recover. That being said, if ur therapist can help with that, I believe ur way on ur way to getting better.

If u don't mind me asking, why were u so hesitant to get the BPD label? i sit b/c u feel BPD stigmatizes ppl? I think the most important thing is that u get help when u need it. It doesn't really matter if there is a name for it or not. I don't mind the label at all as I was so happy to find out that is why I expereinece so many symptoms. Before I had the label, I just felt like I was crazy. Finding out why I had all these symptoms and that it can be cured, made me feel so much better.

Now the treatment can't go fast enough! I suffer with some of the symptoms but I'm hopeful that I won't have to deal with them forever. I don't remember if I asked u this already, but have u looked into purchasing a DBT workbook? If they aren't avilable in ur bookstores, u can order them online. They can be very helpful.

Ethereal
08-12-09, 02:01 PM
hey Ethereal,

I'm glad ur getting treatment. The best thing to do for BPD if change the way u see things (with the help of professional). I think medication can be great for a lot of ppl but u really need to change ur thoughts and behavior and that is how u will recover. That being said, if ur therapist can help with that, I believe ur way on ur way to getting better.

If u don't mind me asking, why were u so hesitant to get the BPD label? i sit b/c u feel BPD stigmatizes ppl? I think the most important thing is that u get help when u need it. It doesn't really matter if there is a name for it or not. I don't mind the label at all as I was so happy to find out that is why I expereinece so many symptoms. Before I had the label, I just felt like I was crazy. Finding out why I had all these symptoms and that it can be cured, made me feel so much better.

Now the treatment can't go fast enough! I suffer with some of the symptoms but I'm hopeful that I won't have to deal with them forever. I don't remember if I asked u this already, but have u looked into purchasing a DBT workbook? If they aren't avilable in ur bookstores, u can order them online. They can be very helpful.

You were right- I refused to accept the BPD label because it's so stigmatizing- and also because it's so hard to treat.

I've looked at DBT workbooks, but they were all too expensive to fit into my, at the moment, very limited budget. My shrink is trained in DBT, which surprised me, as it's hard enough finding shrinks trained in Cognitive therapy here in Norway, much less DBT, so DBT will probably be part of my therapy. As soon as I get out of the financial crisis the cut in welfare during summer has caused, I'll purchase a workbook too.

ADDnBeyond
08-15-09, 12:00 AM
Wow! Well I know how concerned u were about finding someone who does DBT so I'm really happy for u! Idk if this will help, but for me, I basically broke down my symptoms and said "I need help with such and and such." Once I looked at them as separate things to work on, as opposed to one humongous disorder, I felt like I had more clarity and healing was possible.

I definitely believe its treatable. I have a friend with BPD (she is actually the reason I leared about DBT b/c I told her about me and she explaine dto me how it is treated) and she has had really great results. She does struggle with certain symptoms but one thing that I thought was huge is that she used to cut and she did a DBT program and rarely cuts now. Before hearing that, I honestly didn't think that was something that could be treated so I have faith that other symptoms can be treated as well.

I'm learning to be mindful and my therapist is teaching me about opposite action and I already see a difference in how I live. I've only been seeing her for about 5 weeks but that's progress and that's all I can ask for.

QueensU_girl
08-27-09, 12:24 PM
My SO is a psychiatrist and we have someone in our family who is BPD.

I think it is important to realize that there is a lot of neurological stuff happening (and not happening enough) in BPD.

You realize that, right? One finding is that the two halves of the brain do not communicate properly with each other. There are hippocampal and OFC and cingulate gyrus and amydala problems too. (And a lot more.)

I try to remember this when our female relative takes a swipe at me one day and then calls us up the next day acting all kind and friendly. It is like she has impaired perspective taking (low empathy) and cannot see how she is acting.

Truly, she cannot (yet).

She really does 'act crazy' for a reason, and not just to be mean. (It is sad, too, b/c in the end it is her that suffers for refusing to do DBT Treatment, etc.)