View Full Version : Is generic Focalin no longer available?

MADD_MEN
08-06-09, 11:37 PM
Focalin IR generic has been the most effective med for my ADHD, but it now seems like no pharmacies carry it and it has been discontinued.

Does anyone know anything about this? Why would they discontinue it?

I've tried Ritalin...worked okay. And, now I'm being treated with Adderall XR 15 MG. Thus far, I don't like the Adderall. It makes me sluggish and tired.

elegy
08-07-09, 12:56 AM
It seems to have disappeared from the pharmacies in my area as well. Luckily, the deductible for my insurance was met several months ago and I don't have to pay for the brand.

I checked on the FDA drug database, and though Teva no longer has exclusivity to manufacture dexmethylphenidate, there's no other manufacturers listed as of August 6, 2009. I've been trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not there is a generic Focalin out there, be it Teva or something else, but an answer has be quite elusive...

EDIT: This thread is from a few months ago (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67741).

It seems no one is quite sure what has happened to Teva's dexmethylphenidate, from what I've seen on several different message boards for ADHD/meds. Anyone on here have the scoop?

MADD_MEN
08-07-09, 10:11 AM
It seems to have disappeared from the pharmacies in my area as well. Luckily, the deductible for my insurance was met several months ago and I don't have to pay for the brand.

I checked on the FDA drug database, and though Teva no longer has exclusivity to manufacture dexmethylphenidate, there's no other manufacturers listed as of August 6, 2009. I've been trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not there is a generic Focalin out there, be it Teva or something else, but an answer has be quite elusive...

EDIT: This thread is from a few months ago (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67741).

It seems no one is quite sure what has happened to Teva's dexmethylphenidate, from what I've seen on several different message boards for ADHD/meds. Anyone on here have the scoop?

It's quite annoying, because Focalin by itself seems to have been the most effective. I'm now on Adderall XR, which has so far made me drowsy. I may see if I can get my insurance to pay for brand, which they've so far been unwilling to do.

Hoshi
08-07-09, 02:37 PM
I guess it isn't being made anymore. I'm giving Focalin a shot...just went to get my prescription...
I have state health insurance for people under 21 - and if there was even a whisper of a generic, they would never pay for name brand medication.
It SUCKS because it's like $160/month.

MADD_MEN
08-08-09, 01:47 AM
I guess it isn't being made anymore. I'm giving Focalin a shot...just went to get my prescription...
I have state health insurance for people under 21 - and if there was even a whisper of a generic, they would never pay for name brand medication.
It SUCKS because it's like $160/month.

Well, my insurance won't pay for the brand, period. Kind of sucks since Focalin has worked the best for me. However, we added 150 mg of Wellbutrion to my 15 mg of Adderall, and the Adderall seems to be working much better. It's only been one day, so it's too early to tell, but I'm at least encouraged.

kibbled_bits
02-07-10, 12:09 PM
I renewed a prescription for the generic form of Focalin as early as this year (2010). Remember every pharmacy has different supply. I was told by Walgreens that the 24-hour location has a better supply and that is where I ended up filling the prescription at. Just call around for your dosage, it's still available.