View Full Version : How do you know teaching is the profession for you?

movingforward
08-07-09, 03:20 PM
How do you know teaching is the profession for you?

johnny s.
08-07-09, 03:23 PM
when my wife started teaching, she totally underestimated how much work it is outside of the class room.

and how annoying dealing with the parents was (demanding, critical, etc) and how demanding the school administration was.

just fyi.

2Springers_Matt
08-07-09, 04:32 PM
I still dont believe its 'for me'.
I like a (somewhat) recession proof job, I like the kids, but being ADD, I hate the anxiety that a teacher has to deal with. I hate being disorganized and missing due-dates, and coming off looking like a schmuck to my peers.
I will leave the profession as soon as I can.

arrested_truth
08-07-09, 06:36 PM
It makes me wonder because of my applicable knowledge when explaining things to people, usually I'm told I help people understand better because I know a lot about what I'm talking about, and I love helping people learn about things they didn't know they were interested in, hah
But having said, my lack of confidence and people skills is what would seriously draw me back from ever making a profession of it.

movingforward
08-08-09, 12:52 PM
I know what you mean. I don't think it's for me too. I stumbled into this path and feel like I don't know what else I can do to make money. So, I have to really hone my skills and force myself to be organized.

I still dont believe its 'for me'.
I like a (somewhat) recession proof job, I like the kids, but being ADD, I hate the anxiety that a teacher has to deal with. I hate being disorganized and missing due-dates, and coming off looking like a schmuck to my peers.
I will leave the profession as soon as I can.

2Springers_Matt
08-08-09, 07:00 PM
Well, I have high hopes for this coming year. SInce I am on a med combo that appears to be working really well for me, I will not have to share a room, and deal with a cantankerous old man who really needs to retire, but has otherwise shut down and doesn't really teach.
With these, new developments, and my increased motivation, I have already started to plan for the new year (ALREADY! Can you believe it!) As I said I have high expectations of whats ahead, and I am going to give it my all.

(until it all crashes around me -- again.)

movingforward
08-09-09, 08:26 PM
Good to hear about your increased motivation! That's great that you are starting to plan for new year. I am still quite anxious about this coming year. It will be my second year in this school and I will have 4 observations. I feel like I am preparing like a turtle for next school year but I'm trying to force myself to lesson planning and curriculum stuff full throttle with my limited supply of Vyvanse, Red Bull, and coffee.

Well, I have high hopes for this coming year. SInce I am on a med combo that appears to be working really well for me, I will not have to share a room, and deal with a cantankerous old man who really needs to retire, but has otherwise shut down and doesn't really teach.
With these, new developments, and my increased motivation, I have already started to plan for the new year (ALREADY! Can you believe it!) As I said I have high expectations of whats ahead, and I am going to give it my all.

(until it all crashes around me -- again.)

2Springers_Matt
08-09-09, 09:01 PM
What do you teach? I have been teaching AP Engineering to 11th graders for the last few years, I have a new class this year, well not totally new I taught it 3 years ago, and I am really trying to prepare for that one the most. I am also going to try and go paperless this year and really utilize Google Docs. Luckily 99% of my curriculum involves the computer...But the internet drags me out to space so easily....

movingforward
08-09-09, 10:05 PM
What do you teach? I have been teaching AP Engineering to 11th graders for the last few years, I have a new class this year, well not totally new I taught it 3 years ago, and I am really trying to prepare for that one the most. I am also going to try and go paperless this year and really utilize Google Docs. Luckily 99% of my curriculum involves the computer...But the internet drags me out to space so easily....

Wow, AP Engineering...Using technology is great. I try to use that too. Powerpoint slides def. do help you keep track of when you will say... I teach ESL grades 1-6.

outnumbered
08-09-09, 11:22 PM
I didn't, really, until I began teaching and realized how much I loved it. I started out as a parent volunteer and enjoyed my time at the school more than any other job I'd had. So when I needed a job, I worked as an aide and then became a teacher. I might have been perfectly happy as an aide if the pay had been better, but then again, I like to be in charge so even if the pay had been enough I might have moved on to being the teacher after awhile anyway. ;)

movingforward
08-10-09, 10:46 PM
I didn't, really, until I began teaching and realized how much I loved it. I started out as a parent volunteer and enjoyed my time at the school more than any other job I'd had. So when I needed a job, I worked as an aide and then became a teacher. I might have been perfectly happy as an aide if the pay had been better, but then again, I like to be in charge so even if the pay had been enough I might have moved on to being the teacher after awhile anyway. ;)

Good for you! I really, really need to hone my skills to do this.

hyperlogic
09-07-09, 06:53 PM
Hey this is interesting. I am just starting to re-train to be a teacher. I am 34 and live in the UK. I have combined ADHD. I am full of useful (read useless) facts and thrive on knowledge. I thought I should try to do something with my life so teaching it is!

aloha1983
09-14-09, 04:56 AM
I absolutely love it! Something different every day, I have sound processing difficulties so hardest for me is big school assemblies etc.

I would rather do almost anything than sit through a boring class, but I can teach a class! I always try to make it as interesting, interactive and engaging as possible.

If you would like to share ideas with someone please PM me or I have my msn/email on my profile.

Thanks,
K

sarek
09-14-09, 08:28 AM
I have more than once considered teaching as a career choice. My scope of knowledge and deeply rooted sense of interconnections would serve me well teaching for example history or geography.

But my people skills are simply horrible and my shyness is through the roof.
That is absolutely fatal when called upon to teach a class of unwilling students. When they sense weakness they turn into a bunch of chimps on a blood hunt.

Crazygirl79
09-14-09, 06:12 PM
I would never teach in a western country but I do plan on doing a Diploma in TESOL and teaching english in Latin America in 2 or 3 years time, I believe teaching in an area like that would be very humbling and rewarding.

Selena

2Springers_Matt
09-14-09, 07:31 PM
well, I am 3 weeks into my semester, and knock on wood, but I am still in a good mood when I come home, I am motivated to get my stuff done, I am actively planning for the upcoming classes, and I generally started to like my job this year.

I will attribute this fact to two things:
my meds- Vyvanse, and Prozac... I am now under control, and my moods are soo much better.
and the fact I dont have to deal with the old cantankerous teacher I mentioned earlier. That man was such a drain on me. I am avoiding him at all costs now, and so far...so good... Now talk to me in December, and we will see how I am doing then...

rd_wnc
10-05-09, 07:01 AM
Stay on the meds is my biggest advice.

I weaned myself off of both and last year was miserable. I stressed about everything and carrying percieved slights around for weeks. I'm back on ADD and my SSRI meds and I'm having fun with my job again.

I teach college now which is where I belong but I taught high school for 8 years. I couldn't find a way to have fun with it then.

casper
01-11-11, 09:11 PM
I have for many many years wanted to be a spec ed teacher. I keep thinking it will be a second career for me at some point. I would like nothng more then to share my knowledge and experiecnes with students like myself

Lostshadow225
02-03-11, 12:05 PM
I knew teaching was my calling since I was in grade school. But it's hard to focus and stay organized for me. It's hard for me to follow through with a lesson plan. Since I am only in my 1st year as a teacher, I'm hoping to learn how to deal with these struggles and learn as I go. Fingers crossed!