View Full Version : Would calling be prudent?

Hoshi
08-07-09, 09:12 PM
I just switched to Focalin XR today. Pdoc prescribed me 1 x 10mg a day for the month.

10mg doesn't seem to do much. At first, I was concerned - after 2hrs, all I had gotten was a mild weak feeling. To me, it was what it felt like when Adderall XR kicked in... of course, Adderall XR only went downhill from there. I was afraid it would be the same with Focalin XR, but the weakness stayed the same, and nothing else happened.

So I did something I probably shouldn't have (though I don't feel much regret...I hate wasting a dose), I took another 10mg. I didn't get any weaker, and instead started to get focus and a bit of energy. Not as much as I would like, but certainly better, and with a MUCH milder crash than I get from adderall. Would it be a good idea to call my pdoc on monday and ask her if I can try taking 20mg?

School starts back at the end of this month, so I really don't have time to screw around.
What's the average adult dosage for Focalin XR? I also noticed that it costs an arm and a leg. If Focalin XR works well for me, would methylphenidate meds be more likely to work well for me? Specifically, anything CHEAPER? lol. Adderall was like a punch in the face when it kicked in, and a drop off a cliff when it wore off. This is soooo much smoother than other things I've tried.

Thanks!! :D

iggypop
08-07-09, 10:31 PM
your not alone i did the same thing w/ a couple meds.......i did call my doc and explain that i was not getting relief ...asking to up the dosage..............i didn't tell him i tinkered he said to wait for the next appt.so i did what he said

been in your shoes careful

Hoshi
08-07-09, 10:33 PM
Hmm. Well... I'll call on monday and ask. If they tell me not to up it, I probably wont even take it, as 10mg gives me no positive effects whatsoever.

iggypop
08-07-09, 10:38 PM
when do you see him next?

Hoshi
08-10-09, 11:08 AM
The 29th (a Saturday!). And school starts back on the 31st.

I can't stand the thought of starting another semester in chaos. I just want some stability!! I hate walking on eggshells with my meds, you know? It's always been prescription to prescription, never having enough to have adequate coverage...mostly due to a nurse practitioner not knowing what she was doing. She thought one 20mg IR should be enough to last me all day? So I would skip lots of days and save them for important days where I needed to focus all day.
Even now with a new doc, I can't help but feel like they could be ripped away at any second. I just want some stability... I want to do well at school.

Hoshi
08-10-09, 04:36 PM
Well, I called and got the response I was afraid of.
Just keep taking it, they told me. So I guess I am supposed to just stop my life this month. What a waste of a very expensive medication and a waste of my time.

Here's to another semester of chaos and failure...