View Full Version : too much sleep will kill you

iggypop
08-08-09, 11:31 AM
i saw my p doc yesterday ...he asked how much sleep i was getting?
"well 9 hrs" i replied. he said that is too much only sleep 8hrs or you will die early.

i called my girlfriend that sleeps 12 hrs a day and told her what the doc said.she went and googled it and said "he's right!" now were in a panic not to over sleep

how much do you sleep?

Covenant
08-08-09, 12:11 PM
My sleeping varies a lot. One time I sleep 5 hrs, the other I sleep 10. I do believe that I read something about length of sleep, and life expectancy, but you need to keep a few things in mind. For starters: these are averages. Some people will be fine with 9 hours of sleep (or more). Some won't. On average it seems to be that people who sleep longer have a lower life expectancy.

On the other hand what you need to take into account is the amount of sleep you need to feel good during the day. I can sleep 6 hrs everyday for a couple of days, but at the end of the week I'll notice that I feel tired. I also get more irritated, have less focus, etc. Think my sleep requirement lies at around 8 hours. And this seems to be about the average. On the other hand there are cases where people either need more or less sleep. There are cases of people who can sleep as little as 4-5 hours, but there are also cases of people needing 10 hours or more a day.

Hope this helps.

Ganjin
08-08-09, 12:16 PM
I haven't looked at this type of research in detail, but as a general rule I can tell you that this kind of research should be viewed with considerable skepticism. There are simply too many variables at work, many of which are unidentified and the majority of which cannot be 'controlled'.

Also remember that correlation is not causation. If people who over-sleep and under-sleep die younger on average, that does NOT mean that the sleep habits caused the difference in mortality.

seasiren88
08-08-09, 04:24 PM
The I'll be destined to die before my Birthday in Feb. !
My sleeping schedule is very odd and irratic.
There will be days that I don't sleep at all and then soon after that will be days that I miss because I sleep through them.

Covenant
08-08-09, 06:01 PM
Ganjin. You're right, was trying to say what you say with your post. Because there has been found a connection between the two, doesn't mean that it goes for all people. And indeed, to many variables.

chellechelle
08-08-09, 06:34 PM
for almost a year i could barely sleep more then four hours a night. now i sleep alot maybe 10 hours or so. i also try to nap when im tired. but it doesnt make sense. if youa re really tired why cant you sleep?

meadd823
08-08-09, 07:03 PM
Even if this is true I would rather get the sleep I need to feel rested and live a few years less than to sleep some predefined amount and spent my entire life feeling like crap due to lack of sleep.

I simply can not see where going around feeling tired all the time because some study finds that people who sleep 10 hours a day live three months less than those who sleep 7 would make much sense any way.

The two may have nothing to do with each other or their link may not be what it appears - For instance how do they know the amount of sleep determines life expectancy instead of being the other way around. Maybe life expectancy determines the length of sleep needed. Maybe this just holds true for people in the UK - who knows
Bottom line for me

I would rather live a shorter life feeling decent than a longer life feeling like crap

lostmykeys
08-08-09, 10:57 PM
Your doc made an overgeneralization based on a few research studies that possibly shows a correlation which doesn't necessarily indicate causation. Wow

In addition, how can you really rule out other variables in a study like that. There seem to be just too many variables.Everyone is so different. *** LOL, I just read what other people wrote and we are practically on the same page.

I would think it also has to do with your sleep cycles. The average person takes 90 minutes to go through an entire sleep cycle. My sleep is extremely fragmented. I often have at least a hundred "alpha intrusions" per night. I sometimes have very little stage three and four sleep, going from stage 2 to REM really quickly (reason why I remember at least 8 dreams per night. This causes me to have fibro symptoms. So, sometimes 8 hours isn't enough for me. That is just one factor of many to consider in the study.

iggypop
08-08-09, 11:19 PM
i was put on the hot seat,but he's a good doc, my sleep pattern are all over the board too. it is just a FYI kinda thing . heck i wish i never woke up most mornings :eek:

sarey
08-09-09, 06:00 PM
My sleeping is very odd, but some nights, I'll sleep for 12 hours, others 8, others 5, others none.

FrazzleDazzle
08-09-09, 06:10 PM
I sleep anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. Some days, sleep is an escape, a drug of sorts. I sleep less when I'm happy, and more when I'm not. I sleep better and less when I exercise regularly.

If a body regularly needs what is considered a lot of sleep to feel rested, it might be a good idea to check for sleep disturbances or oxygen levels during sleep. 12 hours of sleep with hundreds of apnea episodes during the night, or for some reason not regularly getting into the "restful rem" sleep, can be exhausting and threatening to our bodies over time.

Imnapl
08-09-09, 07:33 PM
Maybe life expectancy determines the length of sleep needed.Exactly. Studies show that sleep apnea can cause heart disease and sleep deprivation causes accidents. Sleeping more than usual and fatigue can be signs of disease, but fatigue can be subtle and not really identified until it disappears.

Sleep experts still suggest that many people are chronically sleep deprived and some say we would all be better off with about seven hours of sleep at night plus a nap in the afternoon.

doiadhd
08-09-09, 10:01 PM
I sleep very randomly.....always better after a hard days work/physical activity,or some form of medication.

Shows how much docs know.....they just round everybody up,into a living pile.....and then charge.A bit like a rustler/farmer type,then to brand,their animal *OX*....ouch.

TygerSan
08-11-09, 08:37 AM
I was going to say: correlation does not imply causation. People who sleep more may die earlier because 1) they are less active than people who sleep less, 2) have other health problems such as apnea which may make them sleep more hours, but with less quality of sleep, or there may be other variables that we just don't take into account that means that ppl who sleep more die earlier. Also, if I remember right, sleep requirements and patterns also change with age. So if you're younger, you may need more sleep than ppl who are older.

iggypop
08-11-09, 08:39 AM
this week i am not sleeping worth sh*t ...........i hate life:mad:

Driver
08-11-09, 08:53 AM
Where's the evidence that 8hrs is enough for every person?

firstdesserts
08-11-09, 12:55 PM
this week i am not sleeping worth sh*t ...........i hate life:mad:

Obviously, that can really mess with your life span...

Imnapl
08-12-09, 12:30 PM
Where's the evidence that 8hrs is enough for every person?Actually, there is a body of research that shows most people actually need nine and not the proverbial eight hours sleep. There are always exceptions. I remember watching a wonderful documentary where a man only slept, on average, fours hours per night. After years of living with him, his wife threatened divorce if he didn't get some help to fix this problem. He went to a sleep lab and testing showed that he is an extremely efficient sleeper - his body goes immediately into restful sleep. I'm sure I wasn't the only viewer who envied him.

doiadhd
08-12-09, 12:53 PM
If i nod off for 3 hours(or so) i wake up refreshed and like i had never been to sleep...any longer i wake up in stages...about 8 stages until,i need a rest after those 8 stages....i learnt how to work through it(i mean work,as in the slavery kind)

But!......The job i do/used to do,would leave me anialated,and would need about 12 hours sleep,just to get up,and not make the eight stages last the whole day(the whole day,as in 18 hours)

cheezey
08-14-09, 06:56 PM
I sleep about 9 hours when I naturally let my body wake me up.

I do have DSPS, and everything I've read on that suggests that most sufferers sleep an extra hour compared to the average.

Even factoring that in, if im naturally waking 9 hours after going to sleep it seems a little obsurd that a doctor would tell me that "You are sleeping too long, use an alarm and sleep less!" dontcha think?

Sounds like the ultimate conundrum as well, you can't sleep because you think going to sleep will cause you to sleep too long and you'll end up dying 3 seconds sooner than you would otherwise!

Logic
12-29-09, 08:56 PM
Got to admit I laughed when I read the OP, I got like 16 hours sleep the other day!
If I keep having marathon snooze sessions like that I'll be dead by next week!!! Ha ha ha.

Logic