View Full Version : How long should I give it?

MADD_MEN
08-10-09, 09:49 PM
My doc recently switched me to Adderall SR because generic Focalin is no longer on the market. The first med I took for ADHD was Ritalin, and I felt it was pretty decent, but of course someone with ADHD is going to curious. If Ritalin is effective, could another med be more effective?

I've been taking 15mg Adderall SR (generic) for about a week now, and I hate it! I feel sleepy, lethargic, sweaty, taciturn, anti-social, can't sleep well, etc. We added 150 mg Buprion (generic Wellbutrin) to the mix. This has helped some, but not as much as I'd like.

I think I'd like to switch back to Adderall with Wellbutrin, but my wife wants me to stick with a med and give it a chance. She thinks I'm ADD with my meds.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else had major side effects that went away and they are now pleased with Adderall.

I really don't understand the sleepiness/lethargy aspect given the fact Adderall is an amphetamine. I understand that it's supposed to have an opposite effect on us ADDers, but with Focalin, Ritalin, I didn't feel tired. It had no impact one way or another on this aspect, but I did feel focused.

CalmTheChaos
08-10-09, 10:21 PM
If it doesn't work after day 1, it's not going to.

When you mention Adderall SR, I'm assuming you are talking about XR. Is that correct?

If so, try the Shire brand XR before giving up. Generic Adderall is all crap.

MADD_MEN
08-10-09, 10:40 PM
If it doesn't work after day 1, it's not going to.

When you mention Adderall SR, I'm assuming you are talking about XR. Is that correct?

If so, try the Shire brand XR before giving up. Generic Adderall is all crap.

Yes, sorry, I mean XR.

It's generic, but Aetna won't cover brand. Sucks.

greylochdruid
08-10-09, 11:34 PM
I know every 1s body is different BUT I have taken BOTH new Generic Adderall XR and Brand Adderall XR. They work exactly the same on me guys. In fact I just finished my brand name script and started back on the generic. No difference in how I react to these 2 at all. I have found that opening the capsule and swallowing the granules get it into my system in 30 to 45 mins instead of hr to hr and half.

MADD_MEN
08-10-09, 11:37 PM
I know every 1s body is different BUT I have taken BOTH new Generic Adderall XR and Brand Adderall XR. They work exactly the same on me guys. In fact I just finished my brand name script and started back on the generic. No difference in how I react to these 2 at all. I have found that opening the capsule and swallowing the granules get it into my system in 30 to 45 mins instead of hr to hr and half.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be a difference, but many people seem to think there is. Could be partially psychological. Who knows? I personally have never noticed an appreciable difference between generics and brands.

twinch42085
08-11-09, 12:12 AM
I agree. Cannot tell the difference between generic and brand.

iggypop
08-11-09, 12:29 AM
i don't get it you had ok results with the rit.and the want to find something better when you have one that is working?

why not go back to what works seems the adderall is not for you,i don't get it, what is your doc thinking.

IF IT WORKS ,DON'T FIX IT:eek:

MADD_MEN
08-11-09, 01:30 AM
i don't get it you had ok results with the rit.and the want to find something better when you have one that is working?

why not go back to what works seems the adderall is not for you,i don't get it, what is your doc thinking.

IF IT WORKS ,DON'T FIX IT:eek:

Very valid point and my doc won't have an issue changing me back to Ritalin, but my wife on the other hand seems to think Adderall is the best. I'm usually very high strung and can have major mood swings. With Adderall, I'm pretty darn sedate....but too sedate. And, I feel fuzzy rather than clear.

Basically, she would really just like me to stick with a med for awhile, and give the med a chance, rather than switching. Ritalin was the first and only med I had taken. I felt one of the other meds might be better. Focalin was. But, now Focalin generic is pretty much impossible to get where I live (I think it's discontinued).

firstdesserts
08-11-09, 01:17 PM
Brand name, generic, IR, or XR Adderall can make the lack of sleep feel worse. Please don't make the mistake I nearly did and quit the stuff before giving it a fair chance. No medication can consistantly make up for negative health habits for any length of time. As well, both Ritalin and Adderall can mess with your sleep patterns not allowing enough deep and restful sleep. I always had to take a day off Ritalin once a week to catch up on night time rest. With the Adderall one day does not seem quite enough. I am considering two days. I would hate to do that but the last time I took two days off made the next week unbelievably wonderful!

It has been several months since starting Adderall (XR at first with NO positive effects), moving to IR and working to break bad eating, exercising, resting, and sleeping habits. I actually see a light at the end of the tunnel I've been living in.

As with other people and different meds, some side effects fade while others take a while to catch up to you.

I wish you the best...

MADD_MEN
08-11-09, 03:18 PM
Brand name, generic, IR, or XR Adderall can make the lack of sleep feel worse. Please don't make the mistake I nearly did and quit the stuff before giving it a fair chance. No medication can consistantly make up for negative health habits for any length of time. As well, both Ritalin and Adderall can mess with your sleep patterns not allowing enough deep and restful sleep. I always had to take a day off Ritalin once a week to catch up on night time rest. With the Adderall one day does not seem quite enough. I am considering two days. I would hate to do that but the last time I took two days off made the next week unbelievably wonderful!

It has been several months since starting Adderall (XR at first with NO positive effects), moving to IR and working to break bad eating, exercising, resting, and sleeping habits. I actually see a light at the end of the tunnel I've been living in.

As with other people and different meds, some side effects fade while others take a while to catch up to you.

I wish you the best...

Last night I had a restful sleep, full 8 eight hours, and only woke up a few times.

The side effects are much less pronounced today, however, I don't feel much in the way of positive effects either. I'll continue with it a little longer to see how things go.