View Full Version : is 5 months too soon to be taking 40 mg a day?

Michelle87
08-12-09, 09:26 PM
I started taking 10 mg of adderall ir a day 5 months ago and now am up to 30 mg a day. I used to split the 30 mg pill in half and take 15 mg in the morning and the other 15 mg a few hours later, but I just couldn't feel it working anymore. So lately I have been taking the 30 mg all at once and crash in the middle of the day. I tried dividing it up but the pill is so small and just ends up in tiny pieces.

I am a college student so I don't want him to get suspicious.... but the fall semester is starting soon and I'm worried 30 mg won't last me through the day. 40 would be easier because I could just take two 20 mg pills throughout the day instead of cutting up the 30s. Is it too soon to ask my doctor to up my dosage to 40 mg a day after only 5 months?

Childe Roland
08-13-09, 11:40 AM
I started taking 10 mg of adderall ir a day 5 months ago and now am up to 30 mg a day. I used to split the 30 mg pill in half and take 15 mg in the morning and the other 15 mg a few hours later, but I just couldn't feel it working anymore. So lately I have been taking the 30 mg all at once and crash in the middle of the day. I tried dividing it up but the pill is so small and just ends up in tiny pieces.

I am a college student so I don't want him to get suspicious.... but the fall semester is starting soon and I'm worried 30 mg won't last me through the day. 40 would be easier because I could just take two 20 mg pills throughout the day instead of cutting up the 30s. Is it too soon to ask my doctor to up my dosage to 40 mg a day after only 5 months?

It's common to be titrated (slowly brought) up to the dose that works best for you. I believe 40mg is a fairly common dose for an adult. Two 20 mg pills taken 4 hours apart would probably get you 8 hours of good focus -- and then maybe 2 more hours of so-so focus.

One question you can ask yourself is whether you really need or even want "all day coverage." You don't need to study 12 hours a day unless you're in law/med/engineering school or something like that. In my opinion, the quality of study time usually is more important than the quantity of study time. So only take the meds when you need them, and then make sure you don't waste the 8 hours of good focus. Use almost every moment of it to be productive. Then let your body relax after that. That's just my advice. It works for me.

Skully
08-13-09, 12:35 PM
Nope, I don't think it is to soon. I went from 20mg to 60mg a day in a month. I had no problems with the changes.

cecily_parish
08-13-09, 01:47 PM
My doctor started me out on 20 mg IR doses twice a day (aka 40mg/day). The first week he told me to take half a pill twice a day, then the second week he said to take a full one in the am and half in the afternoon... but by the third week he had me at the full dose. But personally I found this to be too much for me (I was feeling strung out, nasty crash, etc.) in the beginning, so I moved down to 15 mg doses.