View Full Version : PDD sans social deficits?

roseblood
08-14-09, 03:00 PM
The DSM IV defines PDDs as conditions involving both social deficits and psychological rigidity, for wont of a better term. What if you have only the latter, as well as associated traits that aren't diagnostic criteria (sensory processing abnormalities, somewhat poor motor skills and often unusual-looking movement)? What if these DO cause significant problems and aren't apparently explained by any other category of disorder?

I know that some believe females in particular may have autism without noticeable social skills deficits, and I wonder if anyone here knows more about this topic, in terms of research, possible DSM changes, etc. Has anyone heard of people being given a PDD diagnosis without either one of the two official groups of symptoms?

I am considering getting assessed for a PDD because my ADHD diagnosis alone doesn't explain all of the problems I have, and I want them to be taken as seriously as possible by future employers, particularly the need-to-know-what-to-expect-well-in-advance one. I could continue describing it as an anxiety symptom, and it would much more fast and straight-forward to get diagnosed with an anxiety disorder if I were ever asked to provide evidence, but I'm not sure how likely it is that people will understand or try to understand that problem unless they think of it in the context of a more fundamental difference in brain wiring, because it's not something I see people without PDD or ADHD experiencing in the same way, even when anxious. But they might do, inside. :confused:

Any thoughts/info/advice/experiences? :)

BehindTheSofa
08-23-09, 03:19 PM
I'm in the same boat. But I'm anxious (for a change!) about sorting out an assessment because I don't know how to go about it or what what they need as evidence.

What would be useful is list of sypmtoms that can't also be attributed to ADHD.