View Full Version : Just diagnosed, not responding well to Adderall

prowakeskater
08-16-09, 07:19 PM
I was prescribed adderall xr 20mg for my inattentive ADD last monday. I have discontinued my dose since yesterday due to the medication eventually making me "dwell in the moment." I notice my problems are more severe and it is escallating my slight depression into suicidal thoughts. I believe it is making my symptoms of ADD worse.

When the stuff wears off I feel 100% better... I am considering not continuing seeing my psych because 1. its very expensive (out of pocket) and 2. Ive lost my optimism that medication will help me.

anyone else experience this? what have you found to work?

thanks!!!

Shirker
08-16-09, 09:32 PM
You should go to see the doctor. People will have different reactions to medications. There are even several different versions of Adderall out there: instant release, the XR and Vyvanse plus generics of the first two. In addition to those, Ritalin, Strattera and few other less frequently prescribed are also available. The non-stimulant medications can often be obtained from samples if you can't afford them. A lot of the companies do have programs for those with limited means. Once you're on a regime you could see the doctor less frequently so it would not cost as much money. Don't give up! Call the Doc.

MADD_MEN
08-16-09, 10:17 PM
I was prescribed adderall xr 20mg for my inattentive ADD last monday. I have discontinued my dose since yesterday due to the medication eventually making me "dwell in the moment." I notice my problems are more severe and it is escallating my slight depression into suicidal thoughts. I believe it is making my symptoms of ADD worse.

When the stuff wears off I feel 100% better... I am considering not continuing seeing my psych because 1. its very expensive (out of pocket) and 2. Ive lost my optimism that medication will help me.

anyone else experience this? what have you found to work?

thanks!!!

Don't give up on meds so soon. It can take a long time to find the right kind, the right dosage, the right combo of meds. I reacted horribly on Adderall. It was the worst feeling ever for me. I felt very tired, yet could not sleep. I felt completely out of it and very self-conscious.

Conversely, Wellbutrion (150mg) and Focalin (5mg 2x day) work really well for me.

Unfortunately, this process is trial and error. Stick with it. Stay communicative with your pdoc and you'll eventually find the right med(s). But, be patient.

iggypop
08-17-09, 12:17 AM
what your discribing sounds like serious side effects.i suggest that you stop taking the med and call your doc asap
getting the right med usually takes a bit of tinkering with different meds to get the right one for you. important to be calm and relax at this time. the doc will fix it

DesertDave
08-17-09, 12:25 AM
My suggestion is to call your doc and let them know how you're reacting.

If you're even having slight suicidal thoughts, you need to let them know.

I'd suggest not taking any more of the Adderall until you've discussed it with the doc.

Other than that, I didn't do well on the stimulants I tried, either. Doctors tend to start with those because they've been the most successful treatment, so far. So I've gone through a list of different things.

I know it's expensive and you have to weigh the cost of treatment against the cost of how it affects you. Then make your own choice.

Keep us posted on what happens.

StoicNate
08-17-09, 12:29 AM
Like everyone said, the doc will help you out.
Maybe you might react better with a smaller dose and Instant Release tabs.

prowakeskater
08-17-09, 01:14 PM
Like everyone said, the doc will help you out.
Maybe you might react better with a smaller dose and Instant Release tabs.

im going to request this, because I have spent the last two days unmedicated and I feel horrible. im anti-social, been sleeping a LOT, and finals are next week :(

I think im gonna go ahead and experiment with anti-depressants as well.

Drakeboy333
08-20-09, 12:29 PM
well dont worry its a drug that alters your mental status. I will take time to cooperate mentally with it

wsmac
08-22-09, 06:44 AM
Hmmm, this is kinda old, but I'll tell you that I started on Ritalin, then Adderall, then Strattera, quit altogether, then came back to meds and am now taking Concerta.

I also realize that in the early 'med' days, I was facing harder emotional trials than I am today.

If you have ADD/HD, give different meds/dosages a chance, but it's a good thing you are also trying to stay aware of how you are feeling while on them.