View Full Version : Newbie - I can't tell if my Adderall is working...

j_mi
08-19-09, 06:41 AM
Hi All,
I'm new here, was just dignosed mildly ADD/inattentive. Age 40 (ish!).
My dr started me last week on XR 20mg 1 per day in the morning. I plan to take it only during the week for focus at work.

Well, I've taken it for 5 days now, and I'm just not sure I 'notice' anything after taking it. Is that ok? Will Adderall work even if I'm unaware I've taken anything?

I don't want to take more than I need to...just trying to determine if I should notice the 20mg XR, and if I should...why I don't.

I've heard size/weight don't matter, but for what it's worth I'm 40, 6'4, 235lbs.

Many Thanks,
-j

brainchange
08-19-09, 06:40 PM
What is your observable behavior? On time, responsible, any outbursts, things said/did that you later regret, how much work you have completed? If you don't notice changes regarding sleep, eating, or other negatives, then good. Could be that it is unpredictable?

Do you take vitamin C with it -- bc I hear that it negates the effects. Adderall is picky regarding absorption.

KillZone
08-19-09, 11:46 PM
Hi All,
I'm new here, was just diagnosed mildly ADD/inattentive. Age 40 (ish!).
My dr started me last week on XR 20mg 1 per day in the morning. I plan to take it only during the week for focus at work.

Well, I've taken it for 5 days now, and I'm just not sure I 'notice' anything after taking it. Is that ok? Will Adderall work even if I'm unaware I've taken anything?

I don't want to take more than I need to...just trying to determine if I should notice the 20mg XR, and if I should...why I don't.

I've heard size/weight don't matter, but for what it's worth I'm 40, 6'4, 235lbs.

Many Thanks,
-j

I would suggest taking either two or get prescribed 20mg IR. One 20mg XR only releases 10mg at a time. 10mg is very weak for someone your age. I'm sixteen and I started with 20mg IR and it's been six months and I'm still taking 20mg IR.

qzsaq
08-20-09, 12:51 AM
i'm kind of in this same boat, except 10 years younger. in some instances i can tell, though, adderall is making a difference because i'm actually getting stuff done :D but i am still having issues with focus while reading and during conversations so i wonder if i need a higher dose.

i also wonder if maybe the XRs dont last long enough, and coupled with how much more expensive they seem to be than the IRs are, i wonder if maybe i would benefit from taking IRs instead.

j_mi
08-24-09, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I "think" I notice an effect, and since I don't want to overdo things, I'll let this first months' prescription complete before deciding what to do next.

..and if taking 2 isn't dangerous, I might try it once, and see if the difference is a good thing or a bad thing.

KillZone
08-24-09, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I "think" I notice an effect, and since I don't want to overdo things, I'll let this first months' prescription complete before deciding what to do next.

..and if taking 2 isn't dangerous, I might try it once, and see if the difference is a good thing or a bad thing.

It is relatively hard to OD on Amphetamine. LD50 is something like 300-400+mg's. So basically saying you would be totally fine bumping it even 3X more or so. I'm not saying you should I'm just pointing out that it isn't dangerous. The only thing that would make it dangerous is a heart condition.

goldenlover1
08-25-09, 03:54 AM
Check your bottle to see if they dispensed the SHIRE brand or a different brand. I started on Adderall 30XR about 15 months ago and everything was fantastic (and i ALWAYS get any side effects that meds can give you). I began taking the "generic" version a month and a half ago, and everything has been horrible! I got NO use out of it, it made me tired, aggravated, flustered and i had NO FOCUS....It was like I am a totally different person! Today I went to the Dr. and talked to her about it. She was not surprised ( i guess a lot of patients have been saying the same thing). Let your doctor know to mark "MAY NOT SUBSTITUTE" on your script. My life changed for the better the day I took my first REAL adderall. And, let me know if this works! I'm pretty sure it will!