View Full Version : Scared to switch from Vyvanse to Adderall, please walk me though this..

Scatteredbrain
08-24-09, 05:19 PM
I was on Adderall very very briefly over a year ago while taking Wellbutrin. It was not a good experience. Wellbutrin gave me anxiety as it was and adding Adderall to it was a nightmare. I'm no longer on Adderall and am on Lexapro for depression and anxiety.
For the past year I've been on Vyvanse and had great results. The problem is that it lasts about 5 hours then I get tired and sluggish for the rest of the day. My Dr wants to give one more shot on the Adderall with the Lexapro combination. The game plan is to start off with 15mgs and work my way up possibly to 30 mgs after a few days. I can adjust it from there if 30 is too much to around 20-25mgs if necessarry.

I'm afraid of the crash expecially since Vyvanse is supposed to be much smoother than Adderall with how I'll react. I take care of my two small children during the day and it's very important to me that I can still operate while taking care of them.

Please walk me through this. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm scared. What do I need to do, what should I expect, should I divide the doses during the day?

ANY tips, ANY advice is very very much appreciated. I just want to do anything and everything to avoid a backlash that affect my mood around my kids.

odsybmx734
08-24-09, 07:30 PM
I don't want you to not try it because of what I say, since everyone has different experiences but Adderall seems to change my whole personality/mood. I get angry very easily at the smallest things. The crash isn't very bad for me, it just makes me depressed because I go from being motivated to feeling completely drained yet still not being able to sleep.

CalmTheChaos
08-24-09, 08:00 PM
I don't want you to not try it because of what I say, since everyone has different experiences but Adderall seems to change my whole personality/mood. I get angry very easily at the smallest things.

I completely agree with this. Adderall definitely provides more motivation, but that comes with a nasty downside of making me extremely irritable, impatient, and curt. Sure, I get a lot done, but it's only good if I don't have to interact with anyone (which is rare), because backlash is almost guaranteed.

Vyvanse is much smoother in that regard. I am very much myself while on it. I would recommend you try staggering 2 doses of Vyvanse. I seem to get the best results when I take one in the morning, and another one 2 hours later. Higher doses seem to stick around longer.

KillZone
08-24-09, 08:11 PM
I completely agree with this. Adderall definitely provides more motivation, but that comes with a nasty downside of making me extremely irritable, impatient, and curt. Sure, I get a lot done, but it's only good if I don't have to interact with anyone (which is rare), because backlash is almost guaranteed.

Vyvanse is much smoother in that regard. I am very much myself while on it. I would recommend you try staggering 2 doses of Vyvanse. I seem to get the best results when I take one in the morning, and another one 2 hours later. Higher doses seem to stick around longer.

Adderall works fine for me. I prefer Vyvanse though, but both are good. You won't know until you try it again.

susansearch
02-13-11, 05:25 PM
I was taking 50 mil of Vyvanse and i love it but not the cost so i just switched to adderall 20 twice a day . So far i hate it . Made me jittery , out of breath doing almost nothing and all over the place . I hope it gets better today first day . Now i know what people were talking about Vyvanse being a smoother med.

kiosk
02-14-11, 12:56 PM
you might find vyvanse kinda wimpy compared to adderall.....for me it just put me in a more positive mood to help motivation...the adderall is just a plain ol kick in the pants to go get things done period!!!

and also I hated vyvanse because it only lasted 4-5 hours and made me terribly sleepy afterwards....

I take dextrostat now and I love it....smooth, no crash, no sleepiness, virtually side effect free

anonymouslyadd
02-14-11, 01:07 PM
I found the opposite effect with vyvanse. My heart is generally in good shape yet, I found the vyvanse made it feel like it were coming out of my chest. The adderall is much different for me (genteric that is). As long as i pay attention to one thing at a time, I'm good.

skye987
02-14-11, 06:02 PM
I switched very very recently from Vyvanse to Adderall for exactly the same problem-- that vyvanse worked great for 4 hours, but after four, I started to do this sluggish/zone-out thing that left me maybe less focused than before medication.

I was on 50 mg vyvanse and am now taking 15 mg adderall IR twice a day. So far, my experience is that overall, I like the adderall better because while I do seem to get scattered and irritable during the kind of rough fall-off, it is more reliable to end up taking a second dose at x time, because for me, anyway, the vyvanse didn't ever seem to "pick back up" in the afternoon or extend it's release, if that makes sense. With the adderall, I do have a weird afternoon mood and focus dip, but I can get through it because I can think okay, at this time of day, I will take my next dose and mood and focus will improve again.

StoicNate
02-14-11, 09:03 PM
Why can't your doctor try Dexedrine? It's the same thing as Vyvanse, but it's more affordable.

425runner
02-14-11, 09:45 PM
Because most doctors don't even want to hear about Dexedrine. It's as if it was some dangerous drug or something that could put the doc in jail.

Why can't your doctor try Dexedrine? It's the same thing as Vyvanse, but it's more affordable.

Moddy2010
02-15-11, 01:58 PM
Because most doctors don't even want to hear about Dexedrine. It's as if it was some dangerous drug or something that could put the doc in jail.

Some doctors are more afraid of Adderall, I know people who quit Adderall and went on Dexedrine because it has fewer and less intense side effects.

I myself use Provigil as well, and now only occasionally use Adderall.

Bill Green
02-15-11, 02:11 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/5448149093_ef8b1d1e2f.jpg

Moddy2010
02-15-11, 02:14 PM
I was on Adderall very very briefly over a year ago while taking Wellbutrin. It was not a good experience. Wellbutrin gave me anxiety as it was and adding Adderall to it was a nightmare. I'm no longer on Adderall and am on Lexapro for depression and anxiety.
For the past year I've been on Vyvanse and had great results. The problem is that it lasts about 5 hours then I get tired and sluggish for the rest of the day. My Dr wants to give one more shot on the Adderall with the Lexapro combination. The game plan is to start off with 15mgs and work my way up possibly to 30 mgs after a few days. I can adjust it from there if 30 is too much to around 20-25mgs if necessarry.

I'm afraid of the crash expecially since Vyvanse is supposed to be much smoother than Adderall with how I'll react. I take care of my two small children during the day and it's very important to me that I can still operate while taking care of them.

Please walk me through this. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm scared. What do I need to do, what should I expect, should I divide the doses during the day?

ANY tips, ANY advice is very very much appreciated. I just want to do anything and everything to avoid a backlash that affect my mood around my kids.

You should consider Dexedrine, from what I know Vyvanse is an exteneded release version of it.

CrazyLazyGal
02-15-11, 02:58 PM
What about Adderall XR? It doesn't crash nearly as much as regular Adderall.

It sounds like you're an extremely rapid metabolizer, so I'm not sure how long that would last either :(

kiosk
02-15-11, 08:49 PM
What about Adderall XR? It doesn't crash nearly as much as regular Adderall

LOL....i wished !!!!

425runner
02-15-11, 10:16 PM
I'm on Vyvanse now and it totally sucks :( no side effects like Adderall though...but soooo weak, I miss the kick in the buttocks that Adderall gave me. But..it also turned me into a lean, mean working machine and people around me didn't like it too much.

Moddy2010
02-15-11, 10:56 PM
I'm on Vyvanse now and it totally sucks :( no side effects like Adderall though...but soooo weak, I miss the kick in the buttocks that Adderall gave me. But..it also turned me into a lean, mean working machine and people around me didn't like it too much.

You should try Dexedrine, Vyvanse is a precursor of Dex that your body metabolizes into Dex.

425runner
02-16-11, 07:49 AM
I've asked my primary care doctor for Dexdrine several times, citing price of Vyvanse as the main reason, but he refused and offered me Ritalin instead. Guess it's time to change doctors ;)

Moddy2010
02-18-11, 11:59 PM
I've asked my primary care doctor for Dexdrine several times, citing price of Vyvanse as the main reason, but he refused and offered me Ritalin instead. Guess it's time to change doctors ;)

Dexedrine is stigmatized because its often abused by addicts, and it is very addictive. So you have to be real careful with it.

I only use very small doses of Adderall and use a moderate dose of Provigil, Provigil increases my mental capacity, while Adderall makes me do things faster.

little creature
03-28-11, 12:28 AM
Hey there!

Generic IR Adderall was my first medication ever. I was on it for about 6 months, and just switched to Vyvanse a few days ago... They are completely different animals. Now, I'm sure I'm still in the acclimation stage for Vyvanse, but I will tell you my experience and knowledge of both of these drugs so far:

Adderall is a combination of four different types of amphetamine salts, of which dexadrine (Vyvanse) is one. Adderall XR is just a capsule that contains beads; these beads contain the exact same thing as Adderall IR, but half of the beads dissolve in your stomach's pH, and half dissolve in your small intestine's pH. This means that it is exactly the same as taking IR twice a day, but the time of the second dosage varies widely depending on the fat/protein/carb content of the food you eat in the few hours after you take your pill. For all intensive purposes, you would be much better off taking IR multiple times a day than dealing with the XR... at least then you can KNOW when it will kick in. Dependability is key when there are small children around, so I know exactly where your fear comes from.

Adderall was great at first, but after a few weeks it took my patience down to absolute zero. I went from a patient, loving, quiet thing to a manic, task-oriented machine that was prone to frustrated crying fits and terrible crashes. I developed social anxiety because I had lost the capacity to cope with anyone else's speed and had a hard time controlling my irritability whenever I was around other people. (In retrospect, I was probably suffering from low cortisone levels as a direct result of adrenal fatigue)... I was terrified of stopping medication, but the side effects were becoming too debilitating.

Vyvanse, on the other hand, is amazing. I feel like myself again: no anxiety, no panic, no irrational/aggressive behavior, and the "crash" is soft and quite tolerable... I don't even lose my smile. I'm suddenly back to seeking and enjoying social interaction. And the best part? I am probably MORE focused on this than on Adderall.

Generic IR dex is different than Vyvanse in that Vyvanse is a very controlled, stable, slow release version. This is due to the fact that it is bonded to L-lysine (an amino acid chain) and it takes your body's enzymes to separate the two chemicals and release the dex, bit by little bit. IR will have the same beneficial properties, but come on strong and drop off quick.

If the cost of Vyvanse is an issue, check the manufacturer's website. They are running a promotion right now: 50% off co-pay for 12 months.

Alternately, Vyvanse is water soluble. If you can get a high dosage prescription, take a capsule, open it, and dissolve the contents in a glass of water. Take whatever proportion you need and save the rest for your next dose or two (example: If you only need to take take 20 mg a day, you can dissolve 60 mg of Vyvanse in 6 oz of water. You can drink 2 oz today, 2 oz tomorrow, and 2 oz the day after. This way you have effectively cut your costs by 2/3!) You should keep the unused portion in the fridge and OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. You should not keep the solution for more than two days. Many psychiatrists and pharmacists will not be aware that you can do this because it has not been through clinical trials, but it has been widely practiced since the drug was approved. My psychiatrist was actually the one to tell me about this practice and refer me to more information about it. This is also a way to get more consistent coverage throughout the day if you metabolize it fast and want to spread your coverage (if you take 60mg a day, dissolve a capsule and take half solution in morning and half solution 4-6 hours later, depending on when you need it and how long you want it to last).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. :)