View Full Version : Flylady (cleaning routine stuff)

tash11
08-25-09, 06:56 PM
I posted this elsewhere but I thought I would put it out for everyone to see if you wanted to check it out.

Like most adders I have trouble with cleaning. With motivation to clean. With organizing. With clutter control. With just doing it, and doing it in a timely manner.

I am sorta doing flylady. ( http://flylady.org/ ). it can help. sometimes when reading her stuff I wonder what she has :lol: She brakes everything down into simple steps and tries to establish routines. She can also help with motivation. I checked her out because I had heard that coaching on things like that can help with add.

The first day is just "shining your sink". Then follows getting dressed in the morning. Pretty simple. I started in may. This summer I actually got my dishes under control. :eek:

I will admit my house is not perfect. It is still not clutter free. But I think I am doing better with a guide then I did on my own. I think that if/when I start meds combined with this guide I might actually have a presentable house! :D

mADD mike
08-25-09, 08:57 PM
My mom subscribes to the Flylady methods, and she says that it has helped her tremendously. She's not necessarily an ADDer, though she is bi-polar and shares many of the same symptoms, but regardless, it has helped her life a lot. Just thought I'd throw in her review of the site and give some positive feedback on it. Hope it helps someone, thanks for posting the site for others.

Tara
08-26-09, 11:53 AM
Just be aware that some of the stuff Flylady comes out with can seem a bit judgmental. I know many women with ADHD have had trouble getting past that part.

Turbochica
08-26-09, 12:00 PM
The important thing is to start getting into routines... cleaning the house and making progress , which it seems you are doing good for you!
THREE CHEERS

well the flylady program has some good advice indeed take waht you can out of it that works for you and don't worry about the rest.

I posted this elsewhere but I thought I would put it out for everyone to see if you wanted to check it out.

Like most adders I have trouble with cleaning. With motivation to clean. With organizing. With clutter control. With just doing it, and doing it in a timely manner.

I am sorta doing flylady. (http://flylady.org/ ). it can help. sometimes when reading her stuff I wonder what she has :lol: She brakes everything down into simple steps and tries to establish routines. She can also help with motivation. I checked her out because I had heard that coaching on things like that can help with add.

The first day is just "shining your sink". Then follows getting dressed in the morning. Pretty simple. I started in may. This summer I actually got my dishes under control. :eek:

I will admit my house is not perfect. It is still not clutter free. But I think I am doing better with a guide then I did on my own. I think that if/when I start meds combined with this guide I might actually have a presentable house! :D

tash11
08-26-09, 02:47 PM
..well the flylady program has some good advice indeed take waht you can out of it that works for you and don't worry about the rest.
defiantly. like the shoes part. shoes? come on, really? no. I only put on shoes if I am actually going outside. when I sit I sit on my feet and sitting on shoes is just not as comfortable, plus then I have to clean my couch even more. no. I also don't want to put sticky notes all over my house. that just looks like more clutter to me. and with the number of times in a day I use my sink I just don't have the time or desire to wipe it every. single. time. I turn the water on for 2 seconds. so basically I just try to keep it empty. no solid objects in it.

basically instead of shining my sink every night. I make sure that all the dishes are in the dishwasher and then run it. in the morning. instead of shining my sink again or whatever she wants I unload my dishwasher and put soap in the cup (yes after unloading instead of just before running). this makes it so I won't forget.

Turbochica
08-26-09, 03:38 PM
Sounds like you are using what you can and letting go of what's not important or part of what you do - like shoes... i am the same way.

I do like the idea of putting the soap AFTER running the dishwasher and not BEFORE..... nice forethought and planning there :)

I read on another thread about a book on Time Management called
Getting Things Done
by David Allen
which was said by the poster to be a ADD friendly Time Management book. I ran ( well drove) right out to the bookstore and bought a copy :D and am about to check it out. Cursory glance and from what I have read about the book it looks REALLY good. I thought I'd mention that in passing to you

Grats for your accomplishments

happy non shoe living to you :)

defiantly. like the shoes part. shoes? come on, really? no. I only put on shoes if I am actually going outside. when I sit I sit on my feet and sitting on shoes is just not as comfortable, plus then I have to clean my couch even more. no. I also don't want to put sticky notes all over my house. that just looks like more clutter to me. and with the number of times in a day I use my sink I just don't have the time or desire to wipe it every. single. time. I turn the water on for 2 seconds. so basically I just try to keep it empty. no solid objects in it.

basically instead of shining my sink every night. I make sure that all the dishes are in the dishwasher and then run it. in the morning. instead of shining my sink again or whatever she wants I unload my dishwasher and put soap in the cup (yes after unloading instead of just before running). this makes it so I won't forget.

stef
08-26-09, 04:53 PM
hmmm I don't know about flylady she is kind of bossy! but the idea behind it is great. what's the deal with the shoes though? I didn't actually get that far...

Turbochica
08-26-09, 05:06 PM
well i took them as suggestions and not marching orders myself :) when i tried that but after awhile i got tired of it all and the numerous emails that I never read anyways.... so I dumped it. the strategies are good but I am NOt that much into being domesticated i guess LOL

hmmm I don't know about flylady she is kind of bossy! but the idea behind it is great. what's the deal with the shoes though? I didn't actually get that far...

tash11
08-27-09, 05:26 PM

she is bossy! I don't listen to her radio show. And I wish the emails were set up diffrently so that only the important ones came through if you had it set to do only mod messages. did that sentance make sence?

anyway. shoes. day 2 (http://flylady.org/pages/bbd2.asp) is "Today I want you get up and get dressed to lace up shoes when you first get up in the morning. This means fix your hair and face too."

it is suppost to help you feel more productive. I get dressed. But I only do my makeup sometimes, and I only put on my shoes if I am going outside.

I just realized I accidentally made it to day 7! :eek: wow. I think if I can do day 7 regularly maybe we won't be running so late in the mornings :D that is one thing I worry about when my daughter gets older and starts 'real' school. I don't want her to be in trouble for being late because of me :(

so far this is what I have modified on the days:
day one: shine your sink. I did the inital shine. But now I just keep dishes out of the sink and run the dishwasher every night.
day two: get dressed to shoes. I get dressed. but no makeup most days. and only shoes when I go out.
day three: keep doing it. ok.
day four: write it down on sticky notes. no sticky notes here.
day five: write down negative things that pop into your head. not really doing that like she does. I just come to the forum here. I know it doesn't sound the same. but the theory is to work on analizing stuff right? I think I do that better here then on my own.
day six: clean hotspots for two minutes. yeah ok. I like doing this. but I don't useually set a timer. and I need to work on doing it every day.
day seven: pick out your clothes the night before. this one I am working on. picking out clothes for me and my kids.
day eight: get a three ring binder and write morning and evening routines in it. haven't done this yet. If I do I won't do it on paper. I will do it on the forums or on my computer. I am just soooo not analog.

that's all I have so far. But I am mostly working on day seven..... (note, I have been doing this since may. But I have no dirty dishes on my counter or in my sink so :D )

stef
08-27-09, 05:30 PM
oh right that was step 2! i think I just said forget step 2 -and I really completely forgot....

Turbochica
08-27-09, 05:32 PM
Sounds like progress to me way to go :)

[quote=tash11

that's all I have so far. But I am mostly working on day seven..... (note, I have been doing this since may. But I have no dirty dishes on my counter or in my sink so :D )[/quote]

tash11
10-02-09, 11:47 AM
Sounds like you are using what you can and letting go of what's not important or part of what you do - like shoes... i am the same way.

I do like the idea of putting the soap AFTER running the dishwasher and not BEFORE..... nice forethought and planning there :)

I read on another thread about a book on Time Management called
Getting Things Done
by David Allen
which was said by the poster to be a ADD friendly Time Management book. I ran ( well drove) right out to the bookstore and bought a copy :D and am about to check it out. Cursory glance and from what I have read about the book it looks REALLY good. I thought I'd mention that in passing to you

Grats for your accomplishments

happy non shoe living to you :)

how is that book working for you?

oh right that was step 2! i think I just said forget step 2 -and I really completely forgot....
wow. how adder. :D

Asylum
02-03-10, 08:00 AM
please don't pour bleach into hot water, fumes are harmfull. (not bagging flylady, think flylady is great, will send her homemade choc chip cookies unless postage is too expensive or cannot locate her.:))

tash11
03-21-13, 02:21 PM
UPDATE:

so I think I finally have the dishes under control.

I eventually unsubscribed from the emails. I only wanted the baby steps and the today lists. I did NOT want all the random testimonials and other random crap. Why can't we personalize what we get? I asked, they didn't seem to care. Whatever. So then I went to her inspiration and go the "Sidetracked Home Executives" book. It's good. And it doesn't clutter up my inbox. They have a method of putting each thing that needs done on an index card and filing it under a month, then each month putting it under a day. I did that until I moved and now I don't know where it is. BUT I am still doing dishes everyday (run the dishwasher at night and empty it in the morning), doing one load of laundry every day (or rather one rotation, move stuff from dryer to basket, washer to dryer, dirty basket to washer, clean basket to upstairs). I still don't wear shoes in the house. that is just silly. Well I do wear them in the basement, but that is kinda like being outside, a dark cramped outside.

BUT just a few days ago someone told me about Motivated Moms app. I put it on my phone and it reminds me of the SHE program, just digital so I don't have to organize the cards! I can check off what is done, add things that I want to get done. It's neat. Only been doing it two days though. And not very successfully today (baby's needing me) but I like the idea.