View Full Version : For those you officially diagnosed, how does caffeine affect you?

Kestri
08-28-09, 07:35 PM
For those you officially diagnosed, how does taking caffeine during the day affect you? I remember reading that these ADD medication are basically stimulants, and that got me thinking about caffeine.

Does drinking caffeine do the same thing for you as an official ADD medication? Does it possibly have no affect? Or does it intensify some of your symptoms and make them worse?

I'm not diagnosed myself but I am curious to hear how caffeine affects those of you who are.

Zacker
08-28-09, 08:58 PM
for me, it does nothing... I can down a 20 oz cup o joe and fall asleep.. I used to drink a 20 oz cup on my drive to work, have a medium dunkin donuts iced coffee at lunch, and still fight to keep my eyes open on the ride home. One of the things my DR asked me when I ffirst started seeing him was if coffee affected me.

ENTrePreneur
08-28-09, 09:06 PM
It has absolutely no effect on me. I drink two cups of coffee every morning.

DobieDebbi
08-28-09, 11:02 PM
Coffee gives me a short-term boost but I, too, drink coffee all day and can go to sleep with no problem. I usually have my last cup at around 8pm and then have a cup or two of hot tea before I finally go to bed a couple of hours later.

Prusilusken
08-29-09, 12:08 AM
I feel no effect what so ever from coffee, at least not the amounts I drink.
Some days I drink 1 1/2L (about six mugs) a day, sometimes I don't have coffee at all, and I wake and sleep the same. Six mugs can be a bit hard on my tummy sometimes if I haven't had any at all for a few days or weeks. That's about it...

Just ftr, I hardly ever have drink anything with alchohol in it, I don't smoke and usually drink herbal tea rather than "real tea". As for self medication, coffee doesn't do a lot for me, as you can tell by reading this.

Impulsive bingeing on food in general and sugars in particular seems to have some effect on me, and as soon as I knew about my ADHD I realised that, and, for the n-teenth time made an effort to cut back (again...) I did okay, but it wasn't easy and I knew the "addiction" has a habit of sneaking up on me again after somewhere between 3-4 months and a couple of years only "using" like, for "recreation"... ;)

You know what, the Rit has all but eliminated that out-of-control need to eat on impulse. I really enjoy that. It very much feels like I am getting at least some of what I have always been craving brain chemistry wise from Rit.
Not all of it, I am afraid, but I am obviously doing better on that front. :)

chartreuse
08-29-09, 12:17 AM
It's sort of a contradiction, but pre-meds caffeine was absolutely essential to me being able to function (I couldn't move in the morning without taking in a few hundred milligrams, and I pretty much kept up that dosage all day long) but at the same time it had so little effect that I could have a big soda right before bed and still instantly fall asleep.

It definitely has an effect, but not the effect that most normal folk would associate with caffeine.

And no, the effect it has is nowhere near the effect my ADD meds (Adderall IR) have. Caffeine is a very crude drug; it can make me more alert but it does nothing for focus or clarity or to alleviate the feeling of boredom, whereas Adderall does all of those things plus more.

I have recommended to people that run short on meds that they ingest large amounts of caffeine, but it's a mediocre substitute at best.

Louder Than Love
08-29-09, 12:40 AM
Only thing coffee does for me is prolong the life of adderall.

wsmac
08-29-09, 02:15 AM
Makes me feel all grown up!:p
Otherwise... nadda'

Shirker
08-29-09, 03:22 AM
I drink two pots a day to try and lift the fog, It doesn't help really. It never lifts the fog but there is an improvement which makes want to drink more coffee. This is bad. Coffee negatively affect my GERD and the other night I got out of bed and almost called an ambulance thinking I was having a heart attack.

ysabeau
08-29-09, 05:14 AM
As a teenager I drank coffee so much my mother started hiding it.
In response to this act of caffeine fascism, I went out and bought my own french press and some hard core freshly ground espresso.
While my sister is a total wine-wanker, I am the aficionado of the bean in my family, and treat it (its pathetic, I don't deny it) pretty seriously.
I even have a coffee bean tree in my backyard. It produces a barely ingestible swill, but what the hell, I made it :D.

I wasn't medicated as a child and honestly think I was drawn to it because its a stimulant. It does have an effect on me yes, but its fairly mild considering my first cup of the morning is combined with the swallowing of 10mgs of Methylphenidate.

I don't medicate after 7pm or so and find it really useful to keep going for those last few hours of the evening, or when I have work to get done, it definitely provides a boost.
During university sometimes (ok semi-often :rolleyes:) I would have to pull an all nighter and found 5 minutes post consumption it seemed to hit the blood stream and so the brain, it would peak in effectiveness at ten mins and effects relatively imperceptible after 15-20 mins, but would also add that in a sleep deprived state, stimulant meds are also rendered far less effective.

If I have to move house, I drink redbull, though I find it fairly gross tasting, it sure gets those packing cases shifted.

I notice a few others say it has little effect on them at all, I guess chemical sensitivity is fairly unique from one person to another.

Dashieldog
08-29-09, 08:31 AM
I am on Strattera and caffeine gives me anxiety with it but I am also OCD and General Anxiety so it basically sends me over the edge. Hope this helps.

Mantis
08-29-09, 08:39 AM
I only started drinking anything with caffeine in it like a few months ago.
I was quite amazed at first, I got a real buzz from drinking some tea!
A few months later it isn't doing much for me though...

2Springers_Matt
08-29-09, 08:41 AM
I dont drink any caffeine any more. When I have, (since meds) I get the jitters now and I dont like that feeling. If I drink even a can of soda, after say 2pm, I cant sleep at night. I also don't drink coffee because I have IBS, and coffee irritates my stomach, and makes me sick.

Caffeine free for me!

chips
08-29-09, 08:53 AM
Coffee does nothing for me. I can have a cup & half hour later go to bed & sleep like a baby (day or night!) One place I worked at I was up to 6 cups a day but still no effect. I wish it gave me the get up & go like the NT's ..sigh

Kestri
08-29-09, 12:42 PM
I haven't been diagnosed with Inattentive ADD but when I go through the symptoms lists and online tests it amazes me how many of those traits I find and how well it matches my life.

This caffeine question though got me thinking, is it possible for me to have Inattentive ADD? All of the ADD medications as far as I know are stimulants and so many of you report being able to sleep fine after consuming caffeine. I, on the other hand, definitely can't sleep after drinking caffeine.

Caffeine has a huge effect when I first drink it and I feel great and energized. When I have too much it actually creates ADD symptoms in me, but I'm usually to energized and wired to care. And then when it wears off I am left feeling dead, scattered, and irritable. Usually the only thing that levels me off after too much caffeine and allows me to sleep is alcohol.

Is this enough to throw out the possibility of me having ADD?

Prusilusken
08-30-09, 05:54 PM
Kestri: Is this enough to throw out the possibility of me having ADD?
I'd say no, far from it. If you think ADHD might be an issue with you, you have enough negative symptoms that should be seen to and found a cause for if possible, no matter what that ends up being.
Having an expert test you for ADHD sounds a completely sensible place to begin.
If you have negative symptoms of any kind that seem to seriously limit - in effect: impair - your ability to function in your everyday life, you'd be ill advised not to find the course of them and get treatment if available.
If ADHD gets ruled out, you'll just have one less possible cause of your symptoms to worry about, you'll still have the debilitating symptoms and the need for help.

So what's really to loose by seeking ADHD assessment?
An ADHD dx would give you a better place from where to improve your life, but so would ruling out ADHD. Then it'd be on to bloodwork (hyper/hypoglycaemia, certain vitamin deficiencies and a whole bunch of other places to look for help) and other tests to find your answer - and help. Win/win, if you ask me...

...where as if you should choose to ignore your symptoms completely because you happen to be sensitive to caffeine, you're likely 100% sure to keep being bothered by them where you might have had tremendous relief instead - and worst being worst: there's a risk you'll miss something very serious that could have been caught in time, had you chosen to seek help earlier on.

My 2 cents. Good luck out there! :)

Michiko74
08-30-09, 10:58 PM
For those you officially diagnosed, how does taking caffeine during the day affect you? I remember reading that these ADD medication are basically stimulants, and that got me thinking about caffeine.

Does drinking caffeine do the same thing for you as an official ADD medication? Does it possibly have no affect? Or does it intensify some of your symptoms and make them worse?

I'm not diagnosed myself but I am curious to hear how caffeine affects those of you who are.

While caffeine may be a stimulant, it certainly doesn't have the same properties as my medication. It's not like I could drink a cup and my attention and focus would be ok. And it's 'stimulant' effects are very short acting.

I still drink it even though I am taking medication. And like the rest of the population, I drink it because it does wake me up a bit.

Trooper Keith
08-30-09, 11:09 PM
When I was a child, my psychiatrist recommended to my parents, who opted against medicating me, to give me soda as a way to calm me down. As a child with no caffeine tolerance, this worked.

As an adult who drinks coffee with some regularity, this does not work.

Stimulants are stimulants but not all stimulants are created equal.

Huricaine
08-30-09, 11:35 PM
im opposite...im sensitive to it. It makes me not feel my body and i know its bad for my body...im more energyless. i dont care what people say about caffeine being a "stimilant" it can make add worse because it releases dopamine and there is a hypothesis that says dopamine transmitts faster with adhd and rit and adderall mainly slow down the transmission... For me it makes me psychotic like. I hate caffeine. It never focuses me. my brain is too innatentive on it. but my body goes everywhere but slopily...no energy...neurology hypothesis are weird but i can explain more if people are confused. It my hypothesis though.

Trooper Keith
08-31-09, 12:46 AM
it can make add worse because it releases dopamine and there is a hypothesis that says dopamine transmitts faster with adhd and rit and adderall mainly slow down the transmission...

This 'hypothesis' doesn't make any sense and contradicts virtually everything we know about ADHD and how stimulants work.

scatterbrain67
08-31-09, 01:10 AM
I haven't been diagnosed with Inattentive ADD but when I go through the symptoms lists and online tests it amazes me how many of those traits I find and how well it matches my life.

This caffeine question though got me thinking, is it possible for me to have Inattentive ADD? All of the ADD medications as far as I know are stimulants and so many of you report being able to sleep fine after consuming caffeine. I, on the other hand, definitely can't sleep after drinking caffeine.

Caffeine has a huge effect when I first drink it and I feel great and energized. When I have too much it actually creates ADD symptoms in me, but I'm usually to energized and wired to care. And then when it wears off I am left feeling dead, scattered, and irritable. Usually the only thing that levels me off after too much caffeine and allows me to sleep is alcohol.

Is this enough to throw out the possibility of me having ADD?

Just to clarify for you, all ADD meds aren't stimulants. I was started on Strattera initially, which is not. I'm currently on Adderall XR and haven't really noticed any effect from drinking caffeine. Although, I can say that before I was diagnosed I used to take caffeine pills very infrequently, but that is when I noticed that I felt normal when I took them, like that is how I should be feeling on a daily basis, but without the caffeine.

TommySama
08-31-09, 03:30 AM
Always makes me shaky - especially after starting medication. But I can always fall asleep, even if I've drank an entire pot

Retromancer
08-31-09, 03:56 AM
Keeps me regular ... as they say in the commercials. Otherwise, eh. I can live without it -- but why?

JBPDX
08-31-09, 05:53 AM
I stopped drinking any form of caffeine when I started taking meds. Previous to that, I could drink energy drink after energy drink (and then some MORE energy drinks) and they wouldn't do a thing for me. Very rarely it actually made me more tired. Plain coffee always makes my stomach hurt, so I stay away from it.

One of the things my doctor asked before he prescribed me Ritalin is how I reacted to caffeine. He said that having no reaction to caffeine is a good indicator that you do in fact have ADD. I hadn't heard that before, and didn't think to research it any further. However, I don't think you could determine whether or not you ADD based on how you react to caffeine. Your best bet is to talk to a doctor.

Infinity
08-31-09, 06:49 AM
REFILL is my middle name.

I stopped drinking Caffinate coffee April 1st . And stopped drinking coffee altogether a month ago because Im trying to be on a more alkaline diet .

I measured my Mug and it holds over twenty ounces. I drank two of those before going to bed at night around midnite. fell asleep imediately.

I began drinking coffee when I was 15 . heavy drinker my entire life.

I do not have an "official" diagnosis yet. That does not mean I do not have ADHD. And some who have it can't get one.

I used to start my day at a coffee shop drinking three some times four 16.Oz cups in an hour . I could read durring that time and be able to think about what I was reading. And I had some of my best creative writting moments while under the inflence of the bean.

People used to comment on my consumption. At least it wasn't alchohol.

Infinity~

TommySama
09-01-09, 12:49 AM
"
One of the things my doctor asked before he prescribed me Ritalin is how I reacted to caffeine. He said that having no reaction to caffeine is a good indicator that you do in fact have ADD. I hadn't heard that before, and didn't think to research it any further. However, I don't think you could determine whether or not you ADD based on how you react to caffeine. Your best bet is to talk to a doctor."

That sounds wrong to me. My doctor told me caffeine was originally prescribed for ADD, but was discontinued for ritalin. One of the reasons was that it had so many side effects (like shaky hands)

Billy79
09-01-09, 11:06 AM
i think overall caffeine does more harm than good with me. maybe its the food or something else but im almost alwyas stomach pain..but i have to be alert at my job so...

JBPDX
09-01-09, 11:11 AM
"
One of the things my doctor asked before he prescribed me Ritalin is how I reacted to caffeine. He said that having no reaction to caffeine is a good indicator that you do in fact have ADD. I hadn't heard that before, and didn't think to research it any further. However, I don't think you could determine whether or not you ADD based on how you react to caffeine. Your best bet is to talk to a doctor."

That sounds wrong to me. My doctor told me caffeine was originally prescribed for ADD, but was discontinued for ritalin. One of the reasons was that it had so many side effects (like shaky hands)

In his defense, he did not say it was a sure-fire way to diagnose ADD or ADHD. He said that it may be an indicator. I suppose I should have been a little bit more clear on that! My apologies. Someone diagnosing ADD or ADHD simply based on a reaction to caffeine is clearly not qualified to be making such diagnoses. I didn't find much useful information when I tried to research it myself. Next time I see him I'll ask about it.

Best of luck getting your diagnosis, Kestri! I can easily say that it's one of the best things that I've ever done for myself.

peripatetic
09-01-09, 11:15 AM
greetings,

caffeine does nothing for me. i do enjoy the taste of coffee and tea, though, and drink it almost daily. pre-diagnosis the only successful job i held (by 'successful' and 'held' i mean for nearly three full months) was at a coffeehouse, though, so maybe it did help at some point.

alas, now it just makes me need to drink even more water, so i have to limit my consumption.

i'm 'combined', not primarily inattentive, though, if that is of any particular importance.

cheers,

jacinta
09-01-09, 01:14 PM
Coffee doesnt affect me one way or the other. I only drink it occasionally when I get bored with drinking tea. I get hyperactive though when I drink some package soups which contain certain flavour enhancers.

doiadhd
09-01-09, 01:33 PM
It's sort of a contradiction, but pre-meds caffeine was absolutely essential to me being able to function (I couldn't move in the morning without taking in a few hundred milligrams, and I pretty much kept up that dosage all day long) but at the same time it had so little effect that I could have a big soda right before bed and still instantly fall asleep.

It definitely has an effect, but not the effect that most normal folk would associate with caffeine.

And no, the effect it has is nowhere near the effect my ADD meds (Adderall IR) have. Caffeine is a very crude drug; it can make me more alert but it does nothing for focus or clarity or to alleviate the feeling of boredom, whereas Adderall does all of those things plus more.

I have recommended to people that run short on meds that they ingest large amounts of caffeine, but it's a mediocre substitute at best.

I tried some caffiene tablets the other day....and am pretty sure they are the cause of my headaches(not pain really,more like my brain was coated in glue),even more cloudiness and if I looked to the sides it was hurting the back of my eyeballs......was sick in the morning......today mood swings galore(I did not take any today).

Cup of coffee in the morning wakes one of my senses,then that one nudges most of the others.

ralphpenguin
09-01-09, 02:11 PM
Coffee makes my feet cold and I urinate more then normal. Besides those effects...nothing else really...no stimulation or anything.

willwill30
09-01-09, 04:06 PM
The only thing coffee does is put me in the bathroom:o. Does nothing for my ADD.

tash11
09-01-09, 08:19 PM
I have never been officially dx as inattentive type, at least I don't think so. My ped when I was a kid did call it "add" and not "adhd" but I don't remember much other then that.. anyway....

I have been trying to self medicate with caffeine.. (it's cheap, realativly safe, easy to get a hold of, and tastes great!). I do coffee and energy drinks (I like full throttle). the energy drinks seem to help more and seem to be harder to od on. When I od on caffine it is like everything is go go go go go go go. my head gets fuzzy in the other direction but at least things are getting done (not always productive things, but things). I think dosing is the hardest part of caffeine. I have been doing 1/2 can of full throttle before noon. but not every day. just on days I need to do things rather then sit like an unproductive forgetful lump. on caffeine I still forget things. I just get up more.

when I was younger I would often fall asleep after having caffeine, even large amounts. it was like it didn't work on me.

I will agree about it being crude.

ryanchappell
09-02-09, 05:31 PM
Prior to diagnosis I was treating my ADD with Caffeine, and came up with the idea of taking time-release caffeine. That is when I knew I should see a doctor for ADD. After trying Vyvanse with limited success, I am wondering if a time-release caffeine pill might do as well?

There is far less money in researching this as apposed to the next amphetamine isomer.

There are probably uses for caffeine in ADD medication, to supplement it, or replace some of it, but will we ever know? It would look bad if you put caffeine in your new wonder drug. Decisions like this should be made to provide the most effective medication, not the most popular, or profitable.

Retromancer
09-02-09, 05:37 PM
Socialist! :D

Decisions like this should be made to provide the most effective medication, not the most popular, or profitable.

ryanchappell
09-03-09, 01:29 PM
Socialist! :D

That is. What I meant was effectiveness should pay.

And now for a Multi-Beallll-ion dollar idea!

Attach Lysine to Caffeine.
In this is not possible, use another amino acid, etc that makes the caffeine last longer than 30 minutes.
Call it Listrimethylxanthine.
Get the patent.

Caffeine has tolerance problems, maybe try this for other alkaloids, and stimulants as well.

This reminds me of the grad student that would always chew a cola nut for the alkaloids.

Luthien
09-03-09, 06:59 PM
It works like a very ineffective stimulant on me. I mean, it works just a bit in sorting out my thoughts but mostly makes me sleepy rather than anything else. I usually make something resembling Lucky-Luke-coffee:

- put a kettle of water on the fire
- when it boils, add 4 kilograms of coffee
- let simmer for 6 hours
- throw in a horse shoe
- if that sinks, add more coffee

And even that does not keep me awake. It's weird, especially when I hear some folks say that they can't drink one cup of regular (non-decaf) tea after 3 PM, because it keeps them awake (ie. NINE hours later!)

doiadhd
09-03-09, 08:17 PM
And even that does not keep me awake. It's weird, especially when I hear some folks say that they can't drink one cup of regular (non-decaf) tea after 3 PM, because it keeps them awake (ie. NINE hours later!)

Hello Luthien,

I have heard this quite often my self from regular folks,now you come to mention it...
Hope they were'nt trying to drop a hint to me.

It sorts me out in the morning....but I think if we guzzle it down all day,the effects wear off.
Same as smoking a nicotine stick...the longer the wait between hits,the better the high.

When laid bare like this,it is putting a lot of seemingly unrelated subjects into a new/different perspective for me.....even more along a direction,which is away from the norm. lol

Google

Luthien
09-04-09, 03:28 PM
Hello Luthien,
Hello Google
(- hmm sounds vaguely familiar, that name ... )

Hope they were'nt trying to drop a hint to me.
why would they? Or, at least, I can't think of a reason; to me, these statements always sounded a bit worried, but referring to themselves.

It sorts me out in the morning....but I think if we guzzle it down all day,the effects wear off.
I never experienced any wearing off, apart from "getting used to the effect" in the very beginning - with coffee, nicotine and add medication. After that, it remains stable.

But then again, I am not looking for a high but rather the opposite: slowing down inside.

When laid bare like this,it is putting a lot of seemingly unrelated subjects into a new/different perspective for me.....even more along a direction,which is away from the norml
I don't think I understand that?

Asylum
09-06-09, 10:48 AM
I get short term but worthwhile effects from coffee and cola. As wierd as it sounds a glass of cola is like medicine for me.

OuterSpaceBrain
09-06-09, 11:04 AM
I don't drink caffeinated drinks when I'm on my meds :)

BUT, funny you asked -- before I was officially diagnosed with ADD, I was the queen of caffeine. I drank 5-6 caffeinated drinks per day: energy drinks (Rock Star in the blue can was my favorite! 50% MORE caffeine:D), coffee, Mountain Dew, colas, and sometimes even caffeine pills. I felt like I could not function at all without it. Everyone knew I was addicted to caffeine and always made fun of me for it.

While caffeine would temporarily help me get through mundane tasks, it wasn't the cure-all. I needed more and more of it to achieve the same buzz and eventually, it would stop working. Then, I'd have to make sure I didn't have any for a few days in order for it to start working again. It doesn't work the way my ADD medication does, or I probably never would have showed up in the psychiatrist's office in distress as an adult. ;)

Basically, Kestri, caffeine affects you the same way it does me... you MAY have ADD. If it is ruining your life (like it was mine -- all an inner struggle, too, as everyone I knew laughed in my face when I told them I thought I might have ADD), see a doc about it. Seriously. Going on meds will change your life.

As for the thought of drinking one cup of TEA to stay AWAKE, uh, yeah, that won't work! Ah, normal folks! *Laughs*

NekoGirl
09-06-09, 04:10 PM
I'm sensitive to caffeine, but then again I'm sensitive to most drugs, the exception being alcohol. I typically do a 12 oz can of sugar-free redbull in the am followed by a 8 oz in the pm, but really it varies.

It seems to effect me the same way it effects the mass population- give me energy, chases the sleepies away, and if I drink too much I get jittery.

I find I need it less now that I'm taking Welbutrin again as I'm not fatigued for no apparent reason, but as I've been working a buttload I need it for normal fatigue.

reality911
09-06-09, 07:57 PM
When I'm on my meds (adderall) it actually makes me sleepy after an hour, and restless. When I am off my meds, it makes me restless and can't sit still, but no help on focus whatsoever. The amount it takes to keep me awake when I am not on my meds could probably fill a swimming pool.

AngelDevilGirl
07-11-14, 12:23 AM
For those of you who were officially diagnosed, how does taking caffeine during the day affect you? I remember reading that these ADD medication are basically stimulants, and that got me thinking about caffeine.

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 7, and I once tried coffee, lets just say that I was 'buzzing' for three days after drinking a large iced coffee, I've never gone near coffee or even tea since then, I was about 15 or 16 around the time that I first tried coffee, I seem to be overly sensitive to caffeine, wether that's because of my ADD or its just a 'me' thing, I don't really know, when it comes to medication, I used to take Ritalin that was prescribed to me by my doctor, it had no affect on me, it only made me feel 'detached' and constantly bored and even a little depressed, then I was prescribed Concerta and that worked wonders for me, it calmed me down and really helped me concentrate and it helped me get motivated to do even the most basic tasks, motivation has always been a problem with me

MarkAfterDark
07-11-14, 06:54 AM
Not "officially" diagnosed, but I have read that caffeine, unlike real ADD meds, constricts blood vessels and hinders blood flow in the brain, which is why drinking too much can cause symptoms of ADD. So while it's stimulant property can help, it can have negative effects over the long term.

I used to drink VPX Red Line and take fat-burning pills. Really made me feel normal, but gave me hiccups something awful.

Now I'm finding that things which help blood flow like Inositol and Rhodiola root seem to help.

Batman55
07-12-14, 12:37 AM
Not "officially" diagnosed, but I have read that caffeine, unlike real ADD meds, constricts blood vessels and hinders blood flow in the brain, which is why drinking too much can cause symptoms of ADD. So while it's stimulant property can help, it can have negative effects over the long term.

I used to drink VPX Red Line and take fat-burning pills. Really made me feel normal, but gave me hiccups something awful.

Now I'm finding that things which help blood flow like Inositol and Rhodiola root seem to help.

I have sometimes heard that some people use Rhodiola instead of caffeine... how do the effects compare?

I've got ADD-I and caffeine has always affected me profoundly. It used to be this amazing "feel-good" drug for me, a booster of confidence and alertness, an enhancer of social skills.. basically, an everything drug. Now after more than a decade of steady use, of course, it doesn't have all these qualities any more.. and even on the best days, the effects aren't what they used to be. It is the buzz I miss the most... for the first 2 years of my addiction, it was a euphoric drug. That said, I can still get good effects if I can muster the willpower to skip coffee for a day; the following day, I can get a noticeably better buzz than usual.

I love it for the amazing effects I can get under the right circumstances; I hate it for the fact that I'm dependent on it, and the occasional anxiety it provokes.

As for not getting the sleepiness effect that many ADDers mention... well, we're all different. I happen to be someone with ADD who's also very sensitive to stimulants (actually, all drugs.) It happens, trust me :D

Zanela123
07-12-14, 12:50 AM
I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine - i get the jitters/anxious feeling, but also an excitable feeling. Im not sure, i think it varies between those two feelings really.. but then again I'm generally a pretty anxious person anyway. I do focus/work better after consuming coffee (doesn't everyone though?!), but it doesn't necessarily help with my impulsivity much.

We are all different though. Just because your body reacts differently to caffeine does not really determine whether you have ADHD or not, especially because your body can get used to the effects.

Like, I'm on/off with daily coffee drinking and if i consume caffeine everyday for a period of time, my body gets used to it and I can barely feel the effects/not as sensitive to it.

Zanela123
07-12-14, 12:55 AM
I also found this article:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/caffeines-effect-on-adhd-symptoms/0003050

relates to this thread.

I don't get that calm feeling though after drinking coffee…….

MarkAfterDark
07-12-14, 08:52 PM
I have sometimes heard that some people use Rhodiola instead of caffeine... how do the effects compare?

I would have a difficult time answering directly because I started taking about 4 different things at the same time. Collectively, though, I have been able to set personal goals and achieve them. That's the main reason I am here less frequently than I would like to be.

I used to come home from work and collapse in my recliner. After three years my house had become out of control. I have some new appliances coming at the end of the month and I committed to filling one bag of trash during weekdays and two each on weekends, plus keeping up with dishes and laundry. I've been able to stay on task and keep busy.

RobboW
07-12-14, 09:06 PM
Everyone is unique. I'm not medicated but caffeine affects me. It has less impact when you're used to it though. Too much makes me jittery and need the toilet.

I think for ADD it's like using a screwdriver as a chisel. Blunt, doesn't quite work right but helps a bit.

Batman55
07-13-14, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine - i get the jitters/anxious feeling, but also an excitable feeling. Im not sure, i think it varies between those two feelings really.. but then again I'm generally a pretty anxious person anyway. I do focus/work better after consuming coffee (doesn't everyone though?!), but it doesn't necessarily help with my impulsivity much.

That's pretty much the way I would describe it. If I have too much caffeine, I tend to get anxiety; just the right amount, and I'm golden: excitable, less likely to get bored, more better at socializing, sharper of mind. Skipping days reduces the mind's sensitivity to the effects, and usually results in smoother, more euphoric sensations.

I think if you function significantly better or "become a new person" while taking any given stimulant, it points toward ADD. This goes whether or not you get paradoxical sleepiness/calmness or not. With caffeine at least, this is definitely the case for me.

I just don't see the same thing from folks I would describe as normally functioning or NT. Ask them about how coffee affects them, they tend to just describe it as helping them wake up in the morning. Caffeine is far more than that, for folks with ADD. or at least some :D

SASChii
07-14-14, 01:53 AM

It works for me...for like only 30 minutes. Same with Rockstar energy drink. I haven't tested out the 5-Hour Energy

Vivid_thoughts
07-16-14, 01:25 PM

Fta burning pills usually (in the UK they do) contain a mild sort of amphetamine, they can be very addictive, but the drug Ritilin that they use for kids with ADHD in the UK is similar to a Cocaine / amphetamine cross.

I'm undiagnosed, but have never drunk coffee, tea is nice, but that's one cup every 3 months. I have found of the last couple of years at that in a volunteering role I do that I tend to use High Energy drinks such as Red Bull and other local brands to calm myself down - works wonders on me! But if I drink a couple of cans too late in the evening I can struggle to sleep, but at the same time I am calm.

fedabog
07-16-14, 06:32 PM
I think if you function significantly better or "become a new person" while taking any given stimulant, it points toward ADD. This goes whether or not you get paradoxical sleepiness/calmness or not. With caffeine at least, this is definitely the case for me.

I don't know if caffeine ever makes me "become a new person". Recalling the last several years of caffeine use, it seemed that it just gives me enough energy to get by. With that said, I've pretty sure I've ingested so much coffee, mountain dew, and energy drinks over the years that I'm tolerant to any major stimulating effects.

Lately, I just like drinking coffee because it tastes good.

MarkAfterDark
07-16-14, 09:30 PM
Fta burning pills usually (in the UK they do) contain a mild sort of amphetamine, they can be very addictive, but the drug Ritilin that they use for kids with ADHD in the UK is similar to a Cocaine / amphetamine cross.

I'm undiagnosed, but have never drunk coffee, tea is nice, but that's one cup every 3 months. I have found of the last couple of years at that in a volunteering role I do that I tend to use High Energy drinks such as Red Bull and other local brands to calm myself down - works wonders on me! But if I drink a couple of cans too late in the evening I can struggle to sleep, but at the same time I am calm.

The sugar in energy drinks caused too much of a crash. Plus most energy drinks contain trace amounts of what makes VPX Redline work so good.

Batman55
07-17-14, 01:04 AM
The sugar in energy drinks caused too much of a crash. Plus most energy drinks contain trace amounts of what makes VPX Redline work so good.

What's this "good thing" in VPX Redline, if I may ask? :D

MarkAfterDark
07-17-14, 09:02 PM
Yohimbie, Green Tea, Yerba Mate (stimulants - stuff you find in fat burners) Plus Tyrosine (hmmm...taking that now for ADD) Vinpocetine (yup, that too) 5-HTP (check!) and Evodiamine (a stimulant! Hey, who knew?) Plus an undisclosed amount of caffeine. Hmmm....I'm thinking of trying it again. Maybe not drinking quite as much.

Batman55
07-18-14, 12:43 AM
Yohimbie, Green Tea, Yerba Mate (stimulants - stuff you find in fat burners) Plus Tyrosine (hmmm...taking that now for ADD) Vinpocetine (yup, that too) 5-HTP (check!) and Evodiamine (a stimulant! Hey, who knew?) Plus an undisclosed amount of caffeine. Hmmm....I'm thinking of trying it again. Maybe not drinking quite as much.

Sounds interesting, but I'm a hypersensitive type... Starbucks coffee is too strong for me, in fact.

Redline has a reputation for being very powerful, and it's one of those energy drinks (I think) that warns people sensitive to caffeine to avoid it. I think I'll have to pass on this!

Pilgrim
07-18-14, 03:54 AM
I still drink a couple at least everyday . Got to be careful in the morning to not drink to much.
Love to have a couple of coffees as I'm coming off medication.
In certain ways I find coffee similar to ADD meds.
Get a bit jittery though
I love the stuff

immago
07-18-14, 05:19 AM
When I was younger it used to really relax me (I was not diagnosed at the time). As I've gotten older it doesn't have any effect except to raise my heart rate and blood pressure - so it's sort of annoying. I don't take it (alone) for energy. I can drink a quad-shot espresso, or a shot-in-the-dark, and go to sleep, but it does help even me out. It helps me focus, but not like meds.

If I take a pill with caffein in it (only caffein) I don't feel any energy. Nothing from coke, or a cup of coffee either.

Having said that, I have taken some diet pills (while not taking any meds) with other ingredients besides caffeine that do seem to have an effect on me. Primarily the effect of focus, and a temporary boost of energy. I'm referring to products with 10-20 ingredients in them. The high-end stuff from GNC.

It should be noted that not everyone diagnosed has the same reaction to caffein according to my Doc.

Finally, the first time I tried ephedra (back when it was legal) with caffein I was, for the first time, motivated and distraction free. I could focus, and had brilliant clarity. I never abused it, but I did take it to help me lose weight, and as a nootropic. (I didn't know what a nootropic was at the time. I didn't know I had ADD at the time.) I self-medicated with it, and I had no idea what I was doing. I was NEVER addicted, and never abused it. I would use it for 5 days on/ 2 days off, for about a month. Then I would take a couple weeks off and do it again. I was very successful at the time. I actually finished projects, read books, did thorough work, remembered where I left my Keyes, and most importantly focused without needed constant external stimulation. However, I didn't keep it up, because I wasn't comfortable with continuing to take it. I knew nothing of the concept of self-medicating, at the time. I had no idea that it was helping me because I had ADD. I just thought it was a magical stimulant that made people's brain focus, etc.

I had no idea about the science behind it until only a couple years ago.

I first realized I probably had ADD several years ago when I saw an advertisement about adult on-set ADD. I put off seeing a doctor for years until I'd had enough of it. That was just a couple of days ago. My doc said it's ADD.

Anyway, my Doc also said that everyones reaction to caffein is different, but that in general caffein doesn't tend to stimulate, or energize, people with ADD. Maybe my Doc was just speaking of ADHD. I'm not sure.

(My first post)

Take care.

RedsHawk
07-18-14, 11:36 AM
It does nothing for me other than taste amaizing which really ****** me off in university when trying to pull an all nighter and really just wanted to crawl under the covers....no boost at all to my alertness focus.

not sure if it was the problem but my first trial with vyvanse went off the rails as either the dose was too high or it was interacting strongly with the caffeine. my heart rate during exercise was just off the charts.

MentalNomad
07-18-14, 01:04 PM
Take right now for instance, I have more caffeine in my system than any time in recent memory. All I want to do is just browse forums. It seems to calm me down, but doesn't always increase motivation (or, ever...don't really know what feeds into that aspect).

Vivid_thoughts
07-18-14, 01:13 PM

I am a bit of a sugar addict, but here are times when I don't touch the stuff for a week and then have a couple of chocolate bars a days for another week. Wierd because a girl I work with was complaining of having a sugar crash after fizzy pop (later this afternoon), but I've never experianced sugar crashes?

MarkAfterDark
07-18-14, 08:53 PM
Sounds interesting, but I'm a hypersensitive type... Starbucks coffee is too strong for me, in fact.

Redline has a reputation for being very powerful, and it's one of those energy drinks (I think) that warns people sensitive to caffeine to avoid it. I think I'll have to pass on this!

Probably a good choice. I'm starting to feel completely exhausted after work again. I may need to go back to large salads for lunch and stop eating out. But I may try it again just for curiosity sake.

MarkAfterDark
07-18-14, 08:57 PM
I am a bit of a sugar addict, but here are times when I don't touch the stuff for a week and then have a couple of chocolate bars a days for another week. Wierd because a girl I work with was complaining of having a sugar crash after fizzy pop (later this afternoon), but I've never experianced sugar crashes?

I always drank a lot of coffee with sugar but never realized why I was so tired all of the time. Once I kicked the habit (and keep clear of simple carbs) I found I have more energy even without caffeine.

Greyhound1
07-19-14, 12:03 AM
Many nights when I am tossing and turning, I start craving chocolate.
I usually get up in the middle of the night, pig out on chocolate and jump right back in bed and sleep much better.

It can be a catalyst for crashing my system and for getting chocolate stains on the pillow case.

Overall, caffeine had little to no effect before medicating and some med. boast now.
I can feel its effects only when my meds. are wearing off. They are calming and relaxing.

Batman55
07-19-14, 01:29 AM
Anyway, my Doc also said that everyones reaction to caffein is different, but that in general caffein doesn't tend to stimulate, or energize, people with ADD. Maybe my Doc was just speaking of ADHD. I'm not sure.

(My first post)

Take care.

I'm thinking he was probably talking about the ADHD-PH or ADHD-C types... I've seen a lot of folks with ADD-I/SCT find caffeine to be a stimulating, energizing, addictive type of thing.

immago
07-19-14, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking he was probably talking about the ADHD-PH or ADHD-C types... I've seen a lot of folks with ADD-I/SCT find caffeine to be a stimulating, energizing, addictive type of thing.

That makes perfect sense actually.

MarkAfterDark
07-23-14, 09:27 PM
:cool:Probably a good choice. I'm starting to feel completely exhausted after work again. I may need to go back to large salads for lunch and stop eating out. But I may try it again just for curiosity sake.

So I bought a 4-pack of Redline and I've been taking about a shot in the early part of the afternoon. I added a 1200 mg guarana capsule a few times and the results are very encouraging. I think I'll continue using it for a while.

AprilSky
07-25-14, 06:08 AM
I am exceptionally sensitive to caffeine. I can't have more then 1.5 shots (45mls) a day and that amount sees me bouncing and jittery. It also does absolutely squat for my concentration. Conversations are easier though. I have never experienced a crash that I hear everyone talk about. I just come down.

I was very worried when they gave me Ritalin based on this experience but so far I would describe it (Ritalin) like coffee but with out the bouncing and I can think clearly, not that it lasts long. Coffee can also completley screw my sleep so I won't touch it after 2 pm ( and that's pushing it) where as Ritalin hasn't effected my nights so far for the 3 days I have been on it.

Happy to hear peoples thoughts on that.

GRbiker
07-25-14, 04:06 PM
Another ADD-Inattentive here who has major caffeine sensitivity. I was "addicted" to it a few years ago and it made me jittery, unfocused, and often gave me sleep trouble. And I only had 1-3 cups a day, and never after 2-3pm. I did "need" it every day though or I was really sluggish.

Two and a half years ago I tried to go a year without coffee, drank tea instead. With the exception of a few cups here and there with deserts at special occasions, I've been coffee free. Drink 1-2 cups of green or black tea per day, have never slept better.

high_voltage
08-02-14, 09:54 AM
Coffee is life! :yes:

I think coffee/caffeine focuses me very nicely most of the time. I've been known to consume quite a bit of it and I've never experienced the over-caffeinated jitters people talk about :).

I am off my meds (Adderall IR) until I see my doctor in two weeks (I want to change back to Strattera or maybe just try the Adderall XR). While off meds I am finding that the caffeine is really helpful in helping me maintain a minimum level of focus while I'm figuring out where I want to go with meds.

Batman55
08-03-14, 12:50 AM
Coffee is life! :yes:

I think coffee/caffeine focuses me very nicely most of the time. I've been known to consume quite a bit of it and I've never experienced the over-caffeinated jitters people talk about :).

I am off my meds (Adderall IR) until I see my doctor in two weeks (I want to change back to Strattera or maybe just try the Adderall XR). While off meds I am finding that the caffeine is really helpful in helping me maintain a minimum level of focus while I'm figuring out where I want to go with meds.

Curious if you drink coffee/caffeine with your meds? If so, do you take them at different times (I imagine caffeine kicking in at the same time as Adderall, etc, might be unpleasant!)

sarahsweets
08-03-14, 05:16 AM
I have cut down on my coffee a lot. I now have 2 cups of regular and 1 iced coffee in the morning and any other coffee throughout the day is decaf vs regular coffee all day. I did it as an experiment but when I tried to go back to my former coffee habits I began to get jittery and feel cracked out. I have no issue taking my meds with coffee but like I said, I can't consume the coffee like I used to if it has caffeine.I dont ever drink soda or energy drinks.

Neanderthal
08-03-14, 04:36 PM
Caffeine just gives me some energy and has a mild anxiolytic effect ... If I stop taking it makes me a little sleepy for about 2 days. In conjunction with ritalin/concerta/vynvanse cause me extreme anxiety, insomnia, jittery and confusion.

petester
08-11-14, 10:08 PM
Its like cocaine to me my mind moves so fast my thoughts are too fast for me to concentrate on.

SomeKindOfNone
08-13-14, 03:47 PM
Not yet diagnosed but I drinkt one cup right after I get out of bed in the morning, I then wait for about an hour before I take my Ritalin LA.
Works well for me mostly. Tried without coffee once, that didn't go well for me at all later that day.
Still have a lot of testing to do though.

brunski
08-14-14, 04:11 PM
Caffeine effects me only in that it keeps me awake during "down times" usually when my Wellbutrin SR puts me to asleep (very odd the normal Wellburtin didnt do that at the same dosage)