View Full Version : 1st week on Adderall moving from Vyvance

CrazyJoezx
08-29-09, 10:18 AM
Well I was on Vyvance 30mg(60mg for 2 of those days) for about 2 weeks and it was "ok" i would get the hyperfocus i needed at work but only for about 3 hours....but i also had quite a few side effects with it...and well always reading on here and hearing from ppl how "great" Adderall i asked my doc to move me over to that, so he did and now im on 20mg of XR a day...
and i feel just about nothing really...no hyper focus ,no "i can do anything attitude" or even that "euphoria" i hear so much about (not that i wanted the "euphoria" but was courise to see what it even was as i dont understand what they ment by it)

maybe 20mg is not enough? im thinking about maybe opening up one of them and take one and half to see if its any different ..with my with my adhd i really need that hyper focus to stay on task or ill get pulled away by any lil thing...

I just had so high hopes for adderall and was pretty let down....do you think maybe its bc i was on vyvance for 2 weeks 1st so my body got used to a low dose of that dex stuff?
*side note*
1st few days i would watch what i eat like crazy...no acid , nothing citrus no soda....it was driving me crazy b/c thats like almost all drinks besides milk and water....so after like 3 days and not feeling anything major i said
F* it im just gonna eat/drink normal...to much of a crazy diet
+how am i gonna get my vitamin C??lol
oh im 25 male, about 130lbs,single dad...light brown hair,green eyes,and i have a small birth mark on my left hand that if you stretch it out kinda looks like Texas..

well its 10am here and unless i get a BIG "omg dont take more then 20mg cuz youll die!!! by like 1030am im gonna go head and take another half..maybe in some apple sauce...hear sounds good...(took my 20mg at 9am) ...i stay up till 2am usually on or off the meds so i dont care if it keeps me up a lil

oh! and yes i tried taking it with mt.dew as other memebers have for the "boost" but nada...(3 cans of the berry gamer fuel) ...might as well drank water,not that i would want to b/c the gamer fuel is awesome...
sry if TL;DR

CrazyJoezx
08-29-09, 10:44 AM
i did as close to half of the pill as i could so ill say its a extra 10mg? ...and eewww Adderall apple sause is naaasstyy..duno how kids eat that...
well some times kids just dont know what "bad taste is" i remember once when my daughter was younger and still on sippe cups (about 2-3 i think) and i saw her walking around drinking out of a sippie cup...and i was like "huh...i dont remember giving you a sippie cup to drink"...so i take it and open it up and it was like 2 day old juice that she must have hid some where lol...it smelt so bad lol... but she was all like "hey i was drinking that" lol....good times..anyways about the adderall pls post ur advice :)

tarabeatty
08-29-09, 01:13 PM
Sorry crazyjoe but I dont' have advise, I am in the same boat.

I just started the Adderall XR 20mg today after a few weeks each on 30mg Vyvanse and 2 10mg Dex spansules. And I too had high hopes, because i heard and read everywhere that it literally saves peoples lives it's so great. It is my first day and I just posted a long post before reading yours. Hoping that it just takes a few days. I am interested in how it goes for you. I too may be just tolerant and need a higher dose, or maybe try the instant release.

CrazyJoezx
08-30-09, 12:35 PM
good to hear someone else is in the same boat as i am (sorry the boat is sinking lol) but yesterday was not that much better, about 20min after the eating my apple sause my tummy was knotting up and hurting real bad...(i didnt eat any breakfast besides the applesause) ...and after ..well ..re leaving my self, i was ok to leave the house....and well, nothing major to report...i only had one thing to get done and that was to get a new front door and put it up..but i did on task and didnt stop...(not for food or anything) ....so yes i did get it done but on the other hand its not something i could really walk away from (seeing i would not have a front door lol)
so its hard to say...

anyways today i just took 2 straight up (40mg) at 10:30am when i woke up...
and well even though to day wouldnt be the best day to try it as its the week end i just wanted to make sure i wouldnt wig out and kill ppl on 40mg (:p) so i know i can handle it at work...so if im good today ill try 40mg for work (where i rly need it)

well i feel it in my system so i better not waste it on here lol..

keep me up to date on how your doing too Tara!

also as for the euphoria goes..i dont get it on 40mg either....but like i said im not sure if i know what euphoria feels like?could someone pls describe it for me? is it like the high you get off of like pot or something? ..again its not what im taking it for..i just dont understand what ppl mean by it ...maybe its just thoughs stupid college kids who snort the stuff like idiots :confused:

hollywood
08-31-09, 11:46 AM
did you not like vyvanse? Why besides marketing is there such a push for vyvanse then? I mean from what I hear it's a bit of a catch 22. From people who have used adderall for years alot of what I hear is that they didn't like vyvanse, but from a physicians standpoint I hear that new adhd teens and young adults do fine on it and are less likely to encounter long term problems due to how the med is metabolised and that it is less likely to alter or change your moods while still assisting with focus issues. I mean that is the goal right? What I mean to say is that the goal is to just take just enough evenly across the day to keep you focused well on what you need to while still allowing you to not have stimulant side effects like hyperfocus.

canitbeADD
08-31-09, 12:50 PM
Vyvanse is being pushed because it is less easily abusable. It cannot be injected or insufflated because it is a pro-drug that only becomes active after making it through the intestine. Also because it is slow to come on there supposedly is not as much euphoria etc.

canitbeADD
08-31-09, 12:51 PM
Also the patent for Adderall XR has expired... but the above is why doctors love it.

hollywood
08-31-09, 02:17 PM
Oh well,

aside from that I'm wondering if all the special releases have a medical reason that is supposedly better for long term adhd treatment. I mean does slowly administering a large or small dose make it more effective long term? I don't get it , I took vyvanse and do metabolize quickly but I felt kind of focused one minute and hours later would be in a total lull and then all of a sudden it would begin to work again. If the medication were smooth for me or if it released more of the medication very slowly and consistently it may have been something good for me. I have tried adderall xr and really have had limited success and that success was with stopping concerta for like a 3 days and lowering my dose for two weeks before starting adderall xr. Otherwise my doc gave me dexedrine they were yellow tablets alongside the adderall xr and I found that to be the best symptom control I've ever had. Ever since then it seems he has been a bit hesitant to rx the dexedrine along with the adderall xr , so I really have not had a good measure if dexedrine would do the trick for me. All I got was vyvanse and found vyvanse very strange in release. I mean as far as I know the dex ir tabs with the adderall xr worked the best for my adhd but adderall xr alone has been variable at best. I'm not sure now if dexedrine would be good for me and I don't understand the taboo of the medication either. I only need the amount to eliminate symptoms.

CrazyJoezx
09-14-09, 11:28 AM
well being on 40mg for about 2 weeks now and it just what i needed, im super focuesd at work, and it last well in to the day where im not tired when i get home and still have that "get it done" feeling in me i would def like to stay on 40mg...
but it does have a few draw backs...i dont eat as much, i can get full off a 6" sub when i used to eat a 12" with extra meat with no problems (no homo lol)
for most ppl this would be a plus but im a 25yr old male and weight 130lbs...so lossing weight is not something im trying to do at all.

the other only issue im running in to is i ran out of meds :( doc only gave me 30 caps (for 30 days) and taking 2 a day made run out real quick, today was actually my last day...and dont have my appt till the 24th :( ....so starting 2maro i will be taking 60mg of vyv hoping it can sub till i see my doc next...

now the only advice i ask from you guys is this ..should i tell my doc that i have been taking dbl my dose? ...b/c im worried that he might think he cant trust me with the meds if i took twice as much behide his back
but on the other hand its working great and if i as for a higher dose he might only move me to like 25 or 30 not the 40 i would like to be on,,

sigh...so what you think?

tarabeatty
09-14-09, 10:23 PM
now the only advice i ask from you guys is this ..should i tell my doc that i have been taking dbl my dose? ...b/c im worried that he might think he cant trust me with the meds if i took twice as much behide his back
but on the other hand its working great and if i as for a higher dose he might only move me to like 25 or 30 not the 40 i would like to be on,,

sigh...so what you think?

Well, it could be tough. You could probably get the doctor to increase to 30 or so without having to fess up about doubling your dose on your own. It would depend on the doc how he would take it, but I'd be cautious. You could say you accidentally took two pills one day and it was a night and day difference, a miraculous improvement! This happened to my friend at work where she really did accidentally double her dose and produced awesome notes in a training class we were in. She was like a machine typing up organized notes that the whole team could use and asking complicated questions; a year later I'm using these notes she took! I barely had chicken scratch on a paper from that class. This was before I was on any medicine by the way.

My doc today just increased my 20mg XR to 30mg XR with a 15mg IR for the afternoon. I have not started that regime yet because I'm waiting for preauth (again). It is normal to have it increased until therapeutic dose is reached. But watch out, I complained that I've been sluggish and he said that increasing it would make me MORE sluggish. Had to tell him that I am also getting alot less sleep so can't blame the medicine for that.

So here's the thing I'm not telling my doctor yet. I have been adding 150mg Wellbutrin XR to these ADD meds when I get one that is not seeming to work at the dose I'm at. I've tried three ADD meds and still working on finding the right one and right dose: The Vyvanse made me out of my mind for a few weeks. I am not sure if people would call that euphoria, but I had a feeling that this is what stimulants feel like when they are too much, speedy, NOT a good feeling for me because of anxiety and churning late into the evening. By week three with that, i felt there was no effect so I added Wellbutrin and got some mild effectiveness. Next, went to Dexedrine, and I could have gone to sleep on that. It was like taking a sleeping pill and I felt depressed. Added Wellbutrin, and voila, it worked a little enough to get by. Next went to the Adderall XR. Similar to Dexedrine in that there is no anxiety or speediness (no euphoria either, not that I would mind a little if it's something good), but no increase of depression and seem to have some focus and communicate a little better. Took the Wellbutrin to kick it into higher gear. Things have been fairly smooth with this combo, but I'm kind of tired and could use a little better concentration.

Goal is to just have the darn ADD med work properly by itself without having to kick into gear, and not make me tired or depressed, and to also keep working through the day! So I'm hoping to get the Adderall to work at an increased dose plus the instant release booster, and then take only the Adderall without the antidepressant. If this Adderall does not perform at higher dose, I'll be pretty disappointed. I'll be on to Focalin or Concerta because everytime I go in to the doc I hear about those.:mad:

Sorry for the ramble, but I think that it's a good chance you could get the doctor to increase the dose just because they do that to get a therapeutic level and that is normal. To say you just doubled the dose on your own, probably risky. Then there's the option of having "accidentally" doubled it one day and discovering great results.

Childe Roland
09-15-09, 07:44 AM
did you not like vyvanse? Why besides marketing is there such a push for vyvanse then? I mean from what I hear it's a bit of a catch 22. From people who have used adderall for years alot of what I hear is that they didn't like vyvanse, but from a physicians standpoint I hear that new adhd teens and young adults do fine on it and are less likely to encounter long term problems due to how the med is metabolised and that it is less likely to alter or change your moods while still assisting with focus issues. I mean that is the goal right? What I mean to say is that the goal is to just take just enough evenly across the day to keep you focused well on what you need to while still allowing you to not have stimulant side effects like hyperfocus.

Vyvanse is much smoother than Adderall XR and it works longer. Some people don't like it because the doses of amphetemine are lower. 70mg is the largest dose, and that's the same as 30mg Adderall XR. Some people on this forum take much more than 30mg of Adderall so they find Vyvance to be too weak. It seems to work for me so far, but I was never on that high a dose of Adderall.