View Full Version : Need advice on getting motivated.

ENTrePreneur
08-31-09, 09:48 AM
Hello all,

I love all of your tips on getting organized and cleaning and such. For me though it is not so much being able to follow through on these tasks, as long as I have my ipod audio book to listen to, but more so on getting started. I can walk past that load of laundry (which keeps growing), and dirty dishes and dusty furniture for days because I just can't get motivated to start it. Any advice on this? It's all mental on my part. I just can't get started on these projects, and in essense the more it accumulates the less I am interested on tackling it.

BillW
08-31-09, 10:01 AM
Promising myself "just for 15 minutes" before I start a task has helped me start a few of my less-dreaded but long-procrastinated projects. Sometime I keep going after the 15 minutes are up, and sometimes I quit to resume work on another day.

However, this technique has not been sufficient for my most-dreaded tasks. I've even tried "just for 3 minutes", but that hasn't helped in a few cases. I need some stronger mojo here.

AddaptAbilities
08-31-09, 08:44 PM
It took me awhile, but after slowly training myself to be organized I'm at the point where I pile of dirty laundry will annoy me into doing something about it. I think what has helped the most is blocking off parts of my day that are dedicated to certain chores. For instance, on Mondays after I work out, there's a block of time dedicated to cleaning the bathroom and vacuuming the kitchen floor. This has helped me to sort of separate the chore from the issue of motivation -- what motivates me is being annoyed by a scuzzy bathroom sink, but what helps me actually get it done is that on this day, at this time, the only thing I need to be doing is cleaning the bathroom.

Of course, today for some reason my calendar didn't remind me to clean, and I'm only just now realizing that it's Monday and my bathroom is still uncleaned...

clutterbug
10-11-09, 09:35 AM
This is also a huge issue for me. I am easily overwhelmed by the mess, so I will hide my head in a book or something else to ignore the clutter.

What I do find helpful is organizing books. There are tons of them on the market. They're all full of tips. I've got plenty, and I've got favorites. When I am lacking motivation, I try to read sections of these books. Or, I'll flip through some that have pictures. They'll give me ideas for organizing things. I tend to keep at least on of these types of books next to the toilet. So, I might take a peek more frequently that way. That is really the only thing I have found that motivates me consistently (unless you count the panic-stricken hours that precede a guest's arrival).

I hope that might be helpful.

trishcan
10-19-09, 03:20 AM
the 15 minute rule works really well for this type of thing. decide on a task, like washing dishes, sorting laundry, folding laundry, vacuuming, etc. and set a timer for 15 minutes. Do as much as you can until the alarm goes off, then admire your progress.

Still have more to do? Decide on another task, set timer for 15 minutes, and go at it! this works great for me.