View Full Version : How do you get yourself to eat?

really
09-02-09, 02:58 PM
So I have a very unusual body.

When I put food in it, my musculature pretty much explodes, particularly when I focus on high levels of starchy carbohydrates and protein. Seven pounds in two weeks is not unusual for me on only 2,500 calories.

Except I have never been much of an eater at all. I am a six-two male and eat, on a good day, 1000 calories. Because of this, I am pretty skinny as it is. This is fine, I love who I am. The health risks have me worried.

Adderall seems to be dropping the appetite even more. I am told my eating habits are now anorexic. I want to eat, I just seem to forget and my hunger signals never go off. I will have a bagel, maybe a tea, and one other small snack in a full day.

How do you get yourself to eat? Reminders? Etc?

I have a small computer script that e-mails my phone when it is time to eat, but I seem to have gotten pretty good at ignoring it ...

Roserazzle
09-02-09, 03:39 PM
force it down. Keep a record of what you have eaten.
I force myself to eat 6 meals a day
I just bought some yummy "energy" bars (calories) at Target.

Classic zone perfect chocolate and caramel: very very yummy made by Abbott Labs I could eat a few of these/day lol
Triple Threat Power Bar Chocolate and caramel fusion with nuts: not as yummy, tastes a bit like chemicals. It is dark chocolate and that is not my favorite.
I am already skinny so I have to force myself to eat food. drink loads of applejuice or stuff with the food. I find 6 smaller meals avoids a tummy ache

Yes indeed. I do not want to show up at my doc and find out I lost a bunch of weight, I will freak and so will they lol

I love junk food, but i am trying to keep it healthy now, as loading up on junk does not really help much

odsybmx734
09-02-09, 04:04 PM
ahh man it is so hard to eat on adderall for me... i have done a lot of work today but i don't think it was enough to make me feel so sluggish... im getting a headache, blacking out when i stand up, and i just feel like death. so like....5 minutes ago I made a microwave pizza, but when I went into the kitchen to get it out, the smell of pizza made me gag, eyes water, and now I am shut in my room because I know if i go out there I will puke.

I don't have a problem with remembering to eat, I can tell when my body needs food but I can't even do it... I have puked and gagged several times just from looking at food, let alone trying to eat it.

maybe my hunger signals aren't going off either, I just know I need food because I will go from focused, motivated, and confident to nothing going on in my head, can't move without getting a migraine, and I just feel like ****...like I am minutes away from dying.

cecily_parish
09-03-09, 08:33 AM
odsybmx734 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/member.php?u=35446), how long have you been on the medication? This is the sort of problem I would have when I first started taking it, but after a couple months, my appetite went back to normal, for the most part.

odsybmx734
09-03-09, 08:46 AM
I have been taking it on and off for almost 2 years

Trooper Keith
09-03-09, 08:49 AM
Eat a full meal before taking your medication. Eat another full meal when your medication wears off.

Roserazzle
09-03-09, 09:14 AM
that is exactly what I do, Keith. I eat a huge breakfast... during the day I force myself to graze - see power bars above, I need calories and good stuff - then at dinner, I eat a good meal and always ice cream at 7

My hubby works at home and I am home doing whatever, and he is a grazer during the day, so he is a good reminder that if he is eating then I should too. He is also skinny lol and not on any meds.

I DO NOT want to turn into a skinny stick person. It is not healthy, so everyone please try to eat. You are the boss of your body.
Once you get used to forcing yourself to eat, it gets easier, but you must get over that 'bump' of not being hungry or tolerating food - and your stomach will grow accustomed to the taste and smell.
You must.

Lukw10
09-03-09, 11:19 AM
My biggest thing with eating on adderall is that I have to literally drink something the entire time that I am chewing (well for dry-ish type foods especially bread) otherwise there just isn't enough moisture/saliva in my mouth to actually chew properly. ha its kinda funny to watch me eat actually.

Although one good thing came out of eating while on adderall and that is that I now pace myself and eat a lot slower. You know when you are full and also get to turn "mindless feeding/eateateat" into a "real meal" full of conversation/etc. Mind you, as an 18 year old guy reachin 6'2 I can certainly EAT but with adderall I am able to enjoy the whole experience of meal times which is nice.

Markgirl659
09-03-09, 11:43 AM
Yes, I agree. I ate a big breakfast also and then snack on healthy "energizing" foods the rest of the day.

really
09-03-09, 02:00 PM
These are awesome ideas.

For some, maybe it would be easier to blend your food into a drink like a fitness smoothie. Lots of fruits and vegetables? Eating has always been a challenge for me, and I found the best way for me to do it pre-Adderall was to blend big meals twice a day and drink them down. That got the most calories into my system.

I like your suggestion, Roserazzle. Snacking with energy bars seems great. Clif Bars have 240 calories usually. That adds up fast.

Anewday
09-03-09, 11:27 PM
really I have to say I am also having a hard time eating on Adderall too. I can only stomach food in the morning before I take the medicine. During the day I cant even go near or think of food or else I will gag. Im not sure if maybe this will take time or if this is how its going to be. Good luck to you, keep me posted.

really
09-05-09, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Anewday! I am like, "You know, if I can't get this under control, I should probably think about another med." But I LOVE the transformation Adderall is having. So now I have extra motivation to eat. Let's hope we get this figured out.

Roserazzle
09-05-09, 06:40 PM
Today I had a really lousy lunch, a nectarine and a half of a ham + cheese sandwich.
WE got pizza delivery and I ate 3 pieces (PapaJohns) for dinner.
Once you start eating it gets better.
Today I was for the first time thirsty all day.
I think I will have a popsicle now. I bought those Edys fruit ones in lemonade, strawberry and grape. They are all really gooooood

happy week-end :-)

iggypop
09-05-09, 09:47 PM
Ya Iím in the same boat, food is an issue IíM NEVER HUNGRY so I have to force-feed myself. And I feel so much better after I eat. I too have lost a good amount of weight and itís needed. Now to maintain the weight I'm at now is the challenge

really
09-05-09, 10:19 PM
Ya I’m in the same boat, food is an issue I’M NEVER HUNGRY so I have to force-feed myself. And I feel so much better after I eat. I too have lost a good amount of weight and it’s needed. Now to maintain the weight I'm at now is the challenge

I guess a good way to look at it is now, "How do they treat anorexics?" Anorexics have bigger barriers to eating than we do. Maybe there are ideas there?

Someone suggested that we could fill up a big jug with tons of fruit juice. It'll be loaded with calories and--if you have real fruit in it--some nutrients. Then you drink it all day. No bed until the jug is as dry as a Pauly Shore comedy. I think I'm gonna go get a gallon milk jug and experiment with that. Fill it up with as much as I need to meet calorie goals and see how that works.

I think at this point that such an option like that would be 10x healthier than being malnourished. I hear that if you have a Body Mass Index score under 17, it's a good indicator of protein-calorie malnutrition. Only problem is I hear fruit juice messes with Adderall?

really
09-05-09, 10:22 PM
Today I had a really lousy lunch, a nectarine and a half of a ham + cheese sandwich.
WE got pizza delivery and I ate 3 pieces (PapaJohns) for dinner.
Once you start eating it gets better.
Today I was for the first time thirsty all day.
I think I will have a popsicle now. I bought those Edys fruit ones in lemonade, strawberry and grape. They are all really gooooood

happy week-end :-)

Your post makes me hungry!!!!!!!!

demo3210
09-06-09, 01:46 PM
It's often difficult to eat, but easy enough to drink on meds.

I opt for whey protein isolate shakes at least twice a day as they have a modest amount of calories and no saturated fats. Also, protein seems to lack the most in my diet than if I am not on meds. Whatever protein isn't used in your body is converted into carbs anyway (or eventually fat), so it's kind of a win-win in my opinion. They actually taste pretty good too! (side note: mine is Chocolate and I've heard that Vanilla always sucks no matter who you buy it from).

I don't want my body to wither away and I also don't want to eat crap food either.

Here are some of the benefits from an education website (non-commercial) 'http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/Handouts/creatine_whey_protein_supplements.htm':

"High levels of essential and branch-chain amino acids which help maintain or build muscle tissue.<sup>8</sup>
Supplementing with whey in athlete diets has been shown to improve body composition and increase strength compared to carbohydrate.<sup>9</sup>
Immune Function
Increases the levels of glutathione in the body, an anti-oxidant required for a healthy immune system.<sup>10</sup>
Weight Management
High quality whey protein is rich in leucine to help preserve lean muscle tissue while promoting fat loss. Whey protein contains more leucine than milk protein, egg protein and soy protein.<sup>11</sup>

Other proposed benefits such as reduced risk for cardiovascular disease & cancer, diabetes management, and wound healing need further research."

really
09-06-09, 02:48 PM
It's often difficult to eat, but easy enough to drink on meds.

I opt for whey protein isolate shakes at least twice a day as they have a modest amount of calories and no saturated fats. Also, protein seems to lack the most in my diet than if I am not on meds. Whatever protein isn't used in your body is converted into carbs anyway (or eventually fat), so it's kind of a win-win in my opinion. They actually taste pretty good too! (side note: mine is Chocolate and I've heard that Vanilla always sucks no matter who you buy it from).

I don't want my body to wither away and I also don't want to eat crap food either.

This is great stuff. I currently take in about 44g/day of whey protein isolate and want to mix that in with some extra stuff.

Consumption of protein by itself might lead to low retention rates. Merging protein with starchy carbohydrates boosts delivery to your body. Check this out:

"In summary, the current studies show that efficient protein utilization is achieved by the inhibition of proteolysis rather than an increase in protein synthesis."

[meaning: focus on converting protein in your body before you start adding more]

-- Clin Sci (Lond). 1998 Dec;95(6):725-33.

The way to convert protein is to eat more starchy carbohydrates. I have another study on hand from the British Journal of Nutrition comparing the effect of how well your body takes protein in a diet low in fat and high in carbs vs the opposite.

PRO/FAT/CHO (g) PRO O* (g/24-h) net PRO g/%PRO
88/85/228 ............77 .................+11 ....13
88/9.5/406 ...........71 .................+17... 19

The first row is a diet with 88g protein, 85g fat, 228g carbohydrates.

Result: your body retains 12.5% of the protein you eat (11 out of 88 grams)

The second row is a diet with 88g protein, 9.5g fat, and 406g carbohydrates.

Result: your body retains 19.3% of the protein you eat.

This is all pretty awesome, except have you tried to blend starchy things into a drink (green peas, rice, beans, etc)? Tastes AWFUL. Anyone have ideas??????

really
09-06-09, 02:50 PM
Maybe if we could figure out a quick way to mix starchy stuff, some greens, and whey protein, we'd have a GREAT solution for keeping on weight.

It would have to taste good and be easy to make . . .

iliveinsalemor
09-07-09, 12:59 AM
blerg! this is the worst/

reality911
09-07-09, 04:57 PM
What I did was I switched to IR instead of XR, that way, I would eat a small snack then take my meds. It took a while to accomplish, but I set timers. Plus, I would notice my meds wear off more than me being hungry, so that seemed to work well.

Oh, and ya, they have these organic green food bars that actually taste pretty good, like dates and bananas. plus, i'm a big fan of the smoothie, just make sure you get some strong tasting fruit to blend with it and you should be ok. Check out your local health food store (not gnc, they don't have that much) and you should find a whole bunch of green protein food that tastes decent. Its really a trial and error thing.