View Full Version : Does anything last longer?

adkyle
09-02-09, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I'm new the forums. I was diagnosed with ADD a couple of months ago; i first tried methylin ER 20 mg and it did not seem to do much and what it did do didnt last long - maybe 2-3 hours.

i was switched to 36mg concerta - i feel like it does more than the methylin but still not very much.... though what it does do lasts longer - about 8-ish hours.

I'm not that familiar with these drugs, and though I don't feel like the concerta does much, it does help me focus when I read...whereas before I could hardly read anything that I was not extremely interested in. I am a graduate student. Some days a week, I need to read for hours, on top of going to class for 4-6 hours.

Is there anything that lasts more than 8 hours? I want something that lasts 12 or so. I'm going to see my doctor in a couple of days. I dont want him to think I'm a crackhead by asking for something stronger again... but I really don't feel like this Concerta does much.

ferdinan
09-02-09, 04:01 PM
try adding supplements with the medication. I take concerta 54mg, zinc, magnesium, omega 3, and folic acid. This combination gives me all day coverage. If I dont take the supplements, the concerta would not work nearly as much. I also had the same problem, and i just did some research and found that you can add certain types of supplements to assist with the concerta.

Trooper Keith
09-02-09, 06:07 PM
Typically a "booster dose" is used to maintain coverage for longer. For example, one might take 20mg Ritalin SR in the AM, followed by 5mg Ritalin at 5PM, to get coverage through to 10PM. You and your doctor may consider adding Ritalin 5-10mg in the late afternoon as a booster for the Concerta.

sonofzeal
09-02-09, 06:52 PM
The problem with long durations is that they're pretty heavy stimulants and that's not always what you want. I, personally, found it impossible to sleep or nap while they were in my system (but I know people whose ADD is severe enough that it's actually an improvement). They also impede appetite and make you burn off energy faster, which isn't a great combination long-term. Honestly, I used to be desperate for longer-acting meds too but now I've been completely medless for close to eight years and I think it's an improvement.

Here's the thing I've found: contrary to what doctors say, ADD meds are actually really effective to take occasionally for special events, rather than as the regular routine we're usually told. My brother, who has significant ADD of his own, uses the meds as a booster when working on a big project or paper, but leaves them be the rest of the time.

Personally, I found that once I was off meds and in a sink-or-swim situation, I learned to swim much better than I ever did when I had the meds as, to mix my metaphors, a crutch. I went off the meds entirely in second year university, and I did fail a couple classes, but now I have my degree with Honours and a lot more responsibility in managing my own affairs in day to day life.

Now, you may not be in a position to go off meds entirely, and I'd be negligent to recommend that. But you shouldn't be too scared of being off them at least some of the time, and you shouldn't be scared of popping one or two when you need to do something you know will be a problem otherwise. Just don't take extra to compensate for not taking it regularly, because you really don't need to and you could OD (and the results generally won't be pleasant even if you don't, trust me).