View Full Version : I have to teach kids to be repsonsible.

hermitpermit
09-02-09, 10:35 PM
Not just a regular classroom, but a band room--where responsibility is one of the hallmarks of the program. Holy ****, right? I can't even get my self straight, no matter how hard I try.

What am I to do? Could an ADDer redefine responsibility as "trying your hardest to be responsible"? After all, I understand my objective obligations. If I did made any more reminders, and exerted any more energy towards remembering stuff, I'd burn out in a month, like I did last semester. So can we redefine responsible? Can I say that I am responsible, not because I show it, but because I try my absolute hardest, and therefore I can teach others to be responsile?

ginniebean
09-02-09, 11:02 PM
I'd like to throw the entire word out and start from scratch. Responsible is one of those words that is used as a blind to aim darts at people.

The actuality of responsibility is that it's the default of any given situation, you will bear the consequences of any action or inaction. FULL STOP. Coulda, shoulda, woulda are useless or worse than useless in as much as they distract from the obvious.

hermitpermit
09-02-09, 11:11 PM
I'd like to throw the entire word out and start from scratch. Responsible is one of those words that is used as a blind to aim darts at people.

The actuality of responsibility is that it's the default of any given situation, you will bear the consequences of any action or inaction. FULL STOP. Coulda, shoulda, woulda are useless or worse than useless in as much as they distract from the obvious.

you lost me.

ginniebean
09-03-09, 01:39 AM
hahah.. well.. *shrug* I don't know how to splain this one. :)

Imnapl
09-03-09, 02:26 AM
Not just a regular classroom, but a band room--where responsibility is one of the hallmarks of the program. Holy ****, right? I can't even get my self straight, no matter how hard I try.Are you asking what the students are expected to be responsible for? Are you worried about your ability to do this job?

What am I to do? Could an ADDer redefine responsibility as "trying your hardest to be responsible"? After all, I understand my objective obligations. If I did made any more reminders, and exerted any more energy towards remembering stuff, I'd burn out in a month, like I did last semester. So can we redefine responsible? Can I say that I am responsible, not because I show it, but because I try my absolute hardest, and therefore I can teach others to be responsile?I'm still not sure about your vague references to being responsible. Do you teach in the public school system? Does your spelling change frequently all of the time or are you just "tired"? :)

meadd823
09-03-09, 03:22 AM
you lost me.

The actuality of responsibility is that it's the default of any given situation, you will bear the consequences of any action or inaction. FULL STOP.

She is defining responsibility as consequences arising from decisions or lack of. . . and applying it to all situations and circumstances - regardless of actual control over out come of said circumstance.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda are useless or worse than useless in as much as they distract from the obvious.

People spend more time lamenting over what is past instead of learning from it and moving on to the present.

This is my personal interpretation any way - there is always the option of being totally wrong.

hermitpermit
09-03-09, 08:23 AM
yeah i'm pretty worried about it. If you're not responsible for yourself, how you can you teachers others to be responsible? That comes like 3 steps after you learn to take care of yourself. A band with irresponsible members is a trainwreck

Trooper Keith
09-03-09, 08:32 AM
Why do you insist that you're not responsible for yourself? Do you not accept that there are consequences for your actions? Do you frequently act without regard to consequences, and then become upset when the consequences occur? Why are you writing yourself off as "irresponsible" to the extent that you don't think you can enforce consequences on others?

Assuming you're a band teacher in a band classroom, when I'm thinking about this I'm getting a funny image of you walking around the room dropping people's instruments and breaking people's drumheads by acting irresponsibly with the instruments, with a classroom full of students looking on in horror.

Imnapl
09-03-09, 12:32 PM
yeah i'm pretty worried about it. If you're not responsible for yourself, how you can you teachers others to be responsible? That comes like 3 steps after you learn to take care of yourself. A band with irresponsible members is a trainwreckI'll try again. As Ginniebean has already suggested, don't get blocked by words - one of the common issues people with ADHD deal with, especially if they have undiagnosed and untreated ADHD caused anxiety.

If you are unable to state what you are having difficulty with, how can you get help with or support for what you perceive to be a problem?

How are you not responsible for yourself in ways that will affect your job? Are you unclear about the expectations and responsibilities of the job? Is there a faculty member you can talk to? Many teachers are great mentors and all of them were "new" once too.

Imnapl
09-03-09, 01:14 PM
yeah i'm pretty worried about it.

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.

Theodore Roosevelt

hermitpermit
09-03-09, 03:39 PM
No, I define responsibility as knowing what's going on. Being prepared. Maybe we could ask, if you don't know what's going on, and don't fill out forms on time, etc., does that mean you don't understand consequences? I don't think so. But anyway, I define responsibility as being prepared. It's kind of abstract.

Imnapl
09-03-09, 04:49 PM
No, I define responsibility as knowing what's going on. Being prepared. Maybe we could ask, if you don't know what's going on, and don't fill out forms on time, etc., does that mean you don't understand consequences? I don't think so. But anyway, I define responsibility as being prepared. It's kind of abstract.That's a boy! More detail; something to work with.

Yes, it is your responsibility to know on some level what's going on at your place of employment.
Yes, it is your responsibility to be prepared on some level for class.
Yes, it is your responsibility to be organized on some level and do paperwork in a timely manner.

Perhaps the expectations of this job are unclear or are beyond your capabilities? Perhaps another workplace would suit your needs better?

hermitpermit
09-03-09, 05:12 PM
That's a boy! More detail; something to work with.

Yes, it is your responsibility to know on some level what's going on at your place of employment.
Yes, it is your responsibility to be prepared on some level for class.
Yes, it is your responsibility to be organized on some level and do paperwork in a timely manner.

Perhaps the expectations of this job are unclear or are beyond your capabilities? Perhaps another workplace would suit your needs better?

ok... I'm not a teacher yet. I'm a student, where, if you make one irresponsible mistake, zone out and miss important information, or whatever, people look down on you, you're rejected, and left in the cold. This confuses me. Don't we all mistakes? Anyway, its more about following directions, which are in any job. I also forget to prepare for things because of my ADD, yet I need my kids to know that they need to be prepared. I can't lead myself. How can I lead others?