View Full Version : How do you get yourself to focus on desired item?

WanderingNobody
09-03-09, 11:35 AM
This is my first day of taking Adderall 20mg XR BRAND (Shire) and I must say that it really does make me focus. The only problem is I can't control what I focus on, just like my old ADHD self.

For example, I woke up this morning at 6:00 am and took the pill. I started reading a book of mine and, after about an hour, I realized that I just wasn't into the book despite taking the pill. It couldn't help me focus on it. I was barely reading it, anyways. It was just like one of those times where you turn the pages but aren't really paying attention.

So around 7:30, I decide to grab my laptop and I am HOOKED! I've been on since, and I can't pry myself off of it except for bathroom breaks.

This is wonderful. But with school starting soon and all, how do I make myself this attached to the material I'd find boring otherwise, such as reading a book and doing homework.

I can only seem to do things that I find enjoyable. Which is a bit ironic, considering this is a symptom of ADHD.

BillW
09-03-09, 11:41 AM
Hi, I'm on my first day of Concerta, and noticing something similar. I can focus really well on stuff I want to focus on, which is not necessarily the same as the stuff I *need* to focus on.

I'm more and more convinced that prescriptions alone will not lead to lasting improvement. I'm going to have to learn to shift my attention to things I am *not* interested in, and then hopefully the medication will help me avoid being distracted unnecessarily.

Arrgh!

WanderingNobody
09-03-09, 12:00 PM
Yes, exactly my point! It is kind of nice to notice that calming effect, though. Like it's quiet in my brain today and it's nice to have some peace. It's just too bad I can't channel that focus and energy into any place I wish.

kiosk
09-03-09, 12:23 PM
well fortunately the meds still leave you with self-control over what you focus on....imagine the implications of takin a pill that made you focus on one thing alone!!!!

i think the trick is you have to be focusing on that thing you need to be doing **before** you take the meds or before they kick in.....

BillW
09-03-09, 12:26 PM
In other words, we have to learn to control our brains instead of letting our brains control us?

Hey, wait a minute... :D

hollywood
09-03-09, 03:32 PM
nothing will make you enjoy what you don't like or want to focus on that's just old fashioned gutting it out day in and out...Theres no drug for that thank god or we'd all be boring. Though it may make those of us with adhd and our days much less strenuous. I think that's why some docs rx low doses of serotonin meds to make you less hostile about doing crap work day in and out and if you can tolerate this well then it makes it less painful basically and being more relaxed if your attentional system isn't too sedated is good for focus in general

WanderingNobody
09-04-09, 04:50 AM
I think I should also mention that I'm on 10mg daily Lexapro and it makes me extremely tired. Could the Lexapro be working against the Adderall? If so, I wouldn't know what to do as the Lexapro has been a lifesaver in helping me with my anxiety problems. But the Adderall has been a lot better than the Ritalin I was on. I really hope I don't have to switch.

BillW
09-04-09, 12:30 PM
I am on Lexapro as well (called Cipralex here in Canada), but my dose is 20 mg. I've started taking it at night to avoid the mid-afternoon sleepiness that would hit me. Now, since I've started taking Concerta in the morning, I'm going to move my Lex dose earlier... say 4 or 5 PM? That way, I hope the sleepiness will hit right when I want to go to bed.

BillW

hollywood
09-04-09, 01:14 PM
How do you avoid this sleepiness thing. If I am ever able to get rid of my worrying then I could focus on whats important, this is the reason I don't take lex due to the mental unsharpness and sedation it's causing others... Man , I wish that was not a side effect

BillW
09-04-09, 01:39 PM
Hollywood... I don't know if you can avoid the sleepiness that Lex brings. The only strategy I've found that helps in any way is to time the dose to make sure the most intense sleepiness hits at bedtime.

Whether you should do that or not is something that you and your doctor should probably discuss. My doctor was amenable to it because I was also taking Wellbutrin, which had energizing effects while contributing to relief of depression. Now that I've started taking Concerta as well, the timing of that "sleepy period" is now even more important, because it helps me avoid losing sleep due to insomnia.

BillW