View Full Version : 1st timer..Son is being treated with ADHD

MOM2CAJ
09-03-09, 04:59 PM
Hey, my name is Michelle and my son just turned 6 on August 28th.

I have felt like he was ADHD for a long time. He is very hyper and has a low attention span as to doing school work and things like that. He is a very driven person and is very hands on. He loves to play outside. He is always on the go.

He does have some behavior issues as well, but I think I am getting those on track here at home and we are working on them at school as well.

He is kicking and hitting other students. It is usually a confrontation and then he hits. He knows what he does is wrong, it's like he just doesn't think before he does something. Very impulsive I should say.

I was just wondering if any of your children were this way?

My son went to the doctor yesterday and was gave a Rx for Ritalin 10 mg 1 time a day for 2 weeks. Then on Sunday he is to start taking 2 at one time a day and ask his teacher if they see a difference. Then he goes back to the doctor 3 days after he starts taking 2 a day.

What should I expect from him taking Ritalin?

Thank you so much for reading this, I hope I get some much needed advice. I have never delt with anything like this before.

Thanks again,
Michelle

Lady Lark
09-03-09, 09:16 PM
One thing that may happen is the rebound effect. Your suddenly (and blessedly) behaved child turns into a monster as soon as his medication wears off. The one thing to keep in mind if/when that happens is that it's more difficult to determine how "bad" bad is when you're comparing it to the brand new good.

In other words, the behavior is probably (pre medication) "normal", but since he was just behaving it seems much worse. There are ways to adjust for this, but it's something to know may happen.

The other thing, with taking short acting medication, several times a day you can get a roller coaster effect. He'll be swinging down as the first does wears off, in time to swing up when the second dose starts kicking in.

MOM2CAJ
09-03-09, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the comment.

But I forgot to put SR after Ritalin.

The doctor said that it would be for all day?

Trooper Keith
09-03-09, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the comment.

8-10 hours. If they are taking Ritalin SR twice expect sleeping trouble.

Lady Lark
09-04-09, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the comment.

Ah, OK well forget the roller coaster then. :)

Vickie
09-05-09, 12:14 PM
The response to each med is individual. Usually the doc starts at a low dose (to watch for side effects) and increases the dose (and maybe timing) until the med is effective. Stimulants are effective in increasing attention and decreasing impulsivity and hyperactivity. My kid's doc says that the meds give them just enough time to think before acting and the more times they react acceptable in a situation, the better they get at acting acceptibly (which is part of the maturation process).

On the first dose of concerta (methylphenidate like ritalin but in a different delivery form) we saw some calming of the hyperactivity. Once we were at the effective dose, we saw good attention and lessinging of impulsivity and hyperactivity. My youngest actually started falling asleep earlier once she started meds. It calmed al the wild thoughts going on in her head and keeping her awake. We had to also use guanfacine because she had anxiety. The guanfacine also covered the impulsivity and hyperactivity when the concerta would wear off.

Finding the best treatment can be a challenge. Hang in there and work with the doc to get the best results for you son.

Hetwoman
09-23-09, 04:57 PM
Hey, my name is Michelle and my son just turned 6 on August 28th.

I have felt like he was ADHD for a long time. He is very hyper and has a low attention span as to doing school work and things like that. He is a very driven person and is very hands on. He loves to play outside. He is always on the go.

He does have some behavior issues as well, but I think I am getting those on track here at home and we are working on them at school as well.

He is kicking and hitting other students. It is usually a confrontation and then he hits. He knows what he does is wrong, it's like he just doesn't think before he does something. Very impulsive I should say.

I was just wondering if any of your children were this way?

My son went to the doctor yesterday and was gave a Rx for Ritalin 10 mg 1 time a day for 2 weeks. Then on Sunday he is to start taking 2 at one time a day and ask his teacher if they see a difference. Then he goes back to the doctor 3 days after he starts taking 2 a day.

What should I expect from him taking Ritalin?

Thank you so much for reading this, I hope I get some much needed advice. I have never delt with anything like this before.

Thanks again,
Michelle

My heart goes out to you Michelle. I would suggest you go into google and type in generation Rx - there are loads of references - it is a film that looks at the increase in prescriptions - form your own conclusions - good luck!