View Full Version : How do you prevent water intoxication from happening when on Adderall?

WanderingNobody
09-05-09, 05:28 AM
I was hospitalized a couple of months ago because I had very low levels of potassium and was drinking too much water. The doctor told me that you can die from drinking too much water in a short amount of time.

So ever since then, I've been restricting my intake of water and will probably drink a liter of water every 2 or 3 hours.

This was going so well until I started on Adderall. Now I'm sure everyone is aware of this side effect: dry mouth. For the last few days, I've been drinking so much water in so little time because I'm so FREAKING thirsty. I can't control myself, otherwise I start to get a headache and my mouth becomes so dry I can barely speak.

Has anyone else had this problem and what can I do about it? I just don't want to drink too much water and end up in the ER again.

muldoon
09-05-09, 07:27 AM
Was the main reason for your hospitalization low potassium levels or too much water? Dying from drinking too much water is extremely rare. A gallon every hour for 8 hours might do it.

If you are thirsty, your mouth is dry, or you have a headache, and water corrects these problems, just drink it.

What exactly did your doctor say to you about your water intake? I've never heard of a doctor telling someone to cut down on the amount of water they drink. Cola and coffee, yeah. But water?

Roserazzle
09-05-09, 08:54 AM
gatorade has plenty of electrolytes. You might try a banana or tomatoes, high potassium foods to supplement your drinking. I am also very thirsty. Hydration is a good thing. Do you take a vitamin?
I hope everything improves now.

Ganjin
09-05-09, 09:05 AM
Since starting Adderall, I have occasionally felt thirsty even though my stomach literally felt bloated with the amount of fluids I had consumed. I manage to get by with something to make me salivate - some gum, a lozenge, or hard sour candy that triggers salivation.

Imnapl
09-05-09, 01:44 PM
I was hospitalized a couple of months ago because I had very low levels of potassium and was drinking too much water.Were they able to find out why?

phEight
09-05-09, 07:23 PM
A liter in 2-3 hours? Are you running a marathon constantly or something? It sounds good if you're exercising or doing something to lose all that water, but if you have an overall sedentary life style, then why drink so much water?

If dry mouth bothers you so much, chew gum. It helps. And restrict your water intake. You can't control yourself isn't a good excuse. If you feel you have dry mouth, then just take a couple sips, not huge gulps.

What's your life style like? Do you lose a lot of the water you drink other than through your urine?

Wintermute
09-05-09, 11:20 PM
Personally, I find that gatorade is a great for keeping me hydrated without diluting all the body's electrolytes. I mean, that's why it's so popular with athletes. My problem is that it's too damn sweet, and the sugar gives me a super dry sticky mouth. I found that a good solution to this is to either mix the gatorate with water, which isn't actually that bad tasting (I like the berry "rain" flavor, not as sugary), or if you fill a glass or something with ice and pour it over it, the ice melts and eventually dilutes the gatorade.

Back when I was unemployed (and untreated) I would go on these crazy bike rides for 15+ miles in 95 degree temperatures, and I would bring a bottle of water, a bottle of gatorade, and a bottle of home-brewed yerba mate (very caffienated tea), and drink them back and forth. I never got dehydrated, I just didn't urinate for an unusually long time. You sweat most of it out, which is kind of gross but whatever. It's cool when you stop and wipe your forehead and feel that where the sweat had dried there's leftover salt and minerals dusting your brow. Very weird.

....anyway, this was probably more than I needed to say, but that's what happens when I drink coffee for the first time in weeks....Hope this helps.

WanderingNobody
09-06-09, 01:57 AM
The problem with Gatorade is that it contains citric acid, which doesn't go well with Adderall.

So I'm left with water.

WanderingNobody
09-06-09, 01:59 AM
A liter in 2-3 hours? Are you running a marathon constantly or something? It sounds good if you're exercising or doing something to lose all that water, but if you have an overall sedentary life style, then why drink so much water?

If dry mouth bothers you so much, chew gum. It helps. And restrict your water intake. You can't control yourself isn't a good excuse. If you feel you have dry mouth, then just take a couple sips, not huge gulps.

What's your life style like? Do you lose a lot of the water you drink other than through your urine?

Actually, I'm just constantly sitting around doing nothing other than playing video games or browsing the net. I'm not an active person. So no, if I were to be losing water, it would most probably be through urine only (and not sweat).

I don't know how to explain it. I just consistently feel thirsty. I thought it might have been diabetes at first (it's a symptom), but my doctor tested me and it came out negative.

So I'm left with no answers.

muldoon
09-06-09, 04:52 AM
Back when I was unemployed (and untreated) I would go on these crazy bike rides for 15+ miles in 95 degree temperatures, and I would bring a bottle of water, a bottle of gatorade, and a bottle of home-brewed yerba mate (very caffienated tea), and drink them back and forth. I never got dehydrated, I just didn't urinate for an unusually long time. You sweat most of it out, which is kind of gross but whatever. It's cool when you stop and wipe your forehead and feel that where the sweat had dried there's leftover salt and minerals dusting your brow. Very weird.

Early this summer I got myself a new Gary Fisher wit a 'puter & all. I never really knew exactly how long my rides were w/ my old bike but I guessed they were around 15. With my new bike I've gone on 30+ mile rides over a dozen times this summer. I have 2 bottle holders and ususally have to stop for a Dasani along the way. I hit hills, hiways, trails...everything. This summer was absolutely pathetic where I live but on the few hot days we had I loved sweating it out. I sweat like a pig & I love it. Makes me feel like I've accomplished something and cleaned out the pores. I don't understand why people think sweating is "gross". It's what the human body is designed to do (among many other regulatory systems).

Anyway, WanderingNobody, take in a banana every day and try to get active man. Exercise benefits the mind and body in so many ways. I can't imagine working up a thirst by playing video games and staring at a computer all day. That would make my head explode. My medications work so much better when I exercise.

reality911
09-07-09, 05:13 PM
try diluting some juice in the water, and maybe a potassium mag/ electrolyte supplement. they sell these at health food stores in packets. just beware of the ones with vit C, because the acid could render your medication useless.