View Full Version : Isn't Exercise Supposed to Help?

dixonge
09-06-09, 07:44 AM
I was under the impression that exercise was supposed to add chemicals into your system that helped clear up the fog, allowed some focus, etc. No? Yes?

Yesterday after being drug to my wife's Jazzercise class (it was drag your husband in day) I got home first and was planning on starting breakfast. I got the ingredients out. I then spent several minutes staring at them and trying to figure out where to start. I know the waffle recipe, but the wife has been altering it slightly to make pancakes, and I wasn't sure of the ingredients. But hey, eggs. Eggs I can do. And still, I stared. I got distracted back to the computer a couple of times, but approaching the ingredients again resulted in the same indecision.

As soon as the wife got home and gave me the details (one extra egg) I was finally able to move, but she ended up taking over from me. I didn't ask her to, but I was asking so many questions I guess it was obvious that if she wanted to eat any time soon.....

Here's the kicker - I'm not normally like that! I normally hyperfocus and attack the simplest recipe like it's the Emeril show. Sure, I focus on the wrong parts, and it takes me awhile, but I don't normally fog up like that.

Curiously, it seemed like it was caused by the exercise, but I'm not sure...

phEight
09-06-09, 09:05 AM
Exercise should help with focus (from personal experience), unless of course it was your first time exercising in months / years, then initially the benefits of exercise may not just appear. Your body may just not be used to being put in that mode. The stress may have caused "fogginess", but I wouldn't really know for sure. I'm no expert on the matter..

In general though, daily exercise will almost always, as far as you don't have some physical issue, will lead to a better energy and a clearer state of mind. It is no long term substitute for those who truly have ADD, but it can definitely be of help in overall life style.

Adelaide
09-06-09, 09:15 AM
There is a book called "Spark" by Dr. John Ratey that you may find interesting. Its about the connections between exercise and mental health. There is a chapter on ADD/ADHD in there too.

OuterSpaceBrain
09-06-09, 10:01 AM
Maybe you had a mild case of post-exercise hypoglycemia?

If you did not eat anything before exercising, there is a good chance your body and mind may have been tired due to lack of energy. This can cause brain fog much worse than what one with ADD would normally experience.

From my experiences (I exercise very often), exercise doesn't do anything either way to help me with focus. What it DOES do, however, is releases endorphins into my brain and makes me a little happier. :)

dixonge
09-06-09, 10:26 AM
Maybe you had a mild case of post-exercise hypoglycemia?

If you did not eat anything before exercising, there is a good chance your body and mind may have been tired due to lack of energy. This can cause brain fog much worse than what one with ADD would normally experience.

From my experiences (I exercise very often), exercise doesn't do anything either way to help me with focus. What it DOES do, however, is releases endorphins into my brain and makes me a little happier. :)

I don't think I ate first. That would have required planning, and I was too busy procrastinating about getting ready to go to begin with.

:(

ok, I think that's probably what happened. Thanks!

Roserazzle
09-06-09, 05:45 PM
So, was Jazzercise fun?
I used to go... was practically addicted to it (friends) waaaay back in the day when my kids were babies. Just a great reason to get out of the house for an hour and dance.
I got in great shape.

I went last year with my daughter... I found it kinda boring, but then... now it's like 20 years later.

So, yeah. Was it fun exercising with your wife and her pals?

MikeE11
09-06-09, 05:51 PM
I'd have to agree with it being the first time exercising and lack of food/energy. Great job on getting out there. And don't be like me and get hyperfocused on exercise so much that you end up injuring yourself. Take it easy at first and have fun.

Kiddder
09-06-09, 06:14 PM
Exercise is a great help and benefit...just like anything else if you are just starting out with it there is a breakin period for your body to adjust. Exercise stimulates the release of dopamine....the feel good brain chemical.

I lift weights for 1.5 hours 4 days a week and feel very alert, awake and motivated for a few hours sfter leaving the gym....more subtly I feel generally better overall....sleep better, normal appetite, etc. I just don't notice the subtle effects until they are gone like if i miss several days in the gym.

MikeE11
09-06-09, 06:24 PM
I lift as well, though I injured my back and had to take some time off (dead lifts + bad form + tired back != a good thing). What I love is the post run or post lift cool down time and stretch. Those amazing endorphines. :D

dixonge
09-06-09, 11:35 PM
So, was Jazzercise fun?
I used to go... was practically addicted to it (friends) waaaay back in the day when my kids were babies. Just a great reason to get out of the house for an hour and dance.
I got in great shape.

I went last year with my daughter... I found it kinda boring, but then... now it's like 20 years later.

So, yeah. Was it fun exercising with your wife and her pals?

Define fun.....

The exercise was good, but Jazzercise will always be geared toward women, and that is the atmosphere. It's just not a guy thing.

dixonge
09-06-09, 11:36 PM
I'd have to agree with it being the first time exercising and lack of food/energy. Great job on getting out there. And don't be like me and get hyperfocused on exercise so much that you end up injuring yourself. Take it easy at first and have fun.

It wasn't my first time exercising. I regularly run and ride my bike and use kettlebells for weigh/strength training.

Kiddder
09-06-09, 11:58 PM
Right....endorphins, not so much dopamine Mike....thanks for clarification.

Exercise = fun? Not for me, it is a necessasary evil that I endure most times because the feeling after is so great....don't get me wrong there are days I actually look forward to workout and am really into it, but usually it is somewhat of a chore that I just grit my teeth and do it.....an hour to an hour and half 4X a week is not so long....On days when I do cardio, run I do 30 minutes at 5-6 miles an hour on treadmill and get equal or better endorphin release as 1.5 hours lifting....I just hate running....so boring for me.

Maybe now that I have started meds I will be more motvated to get in some cardio on my bike I bought 3 years ago and haven't riden more than 10 mile son total.....I could only admit that here....on this forum anonomousely heh heh heh, too embarassing :D

Layla771
07-27-10, 10:59 AM
lol - to OP: maybe all those cuties in Jazzercise(or wifey in leotard?) distracted you...? :)
I could see how a guy in a drag your husband in day could get distracted!! lol!!

Kiddder, this is something a friend says all the time: 'I don't actually enjoy running/exercise, but I have to drag myself out there and just do it!' Some people are just better at this I guess!! :)

/attempts to drag herself out there now too!! :) Thanks for the motivation guys!!/