View Full Version : Intuniv, or Guanfacine XR, Approved for ADHD

lk44
09-06-09, 12:10 PM
Shire received approval for Intuniv for ADHD (http://healthlifeandstuff.com/2009/09/intuniv-for-adhd-concerns-efficacy/).

Thoughts? It seems like it might be a bit "stronger" than Strattera, but might also have more side effects.

CaucusRace
09-07-09, 08:16 AM
I spotted this news a few days ago. Very interesting.

Strattera inhibits reuptake of norepinephrine (NE), leaving more of it to stimulate the various NE receptors in the brain. However, it appears Intuniv stimulates a certain type of NE (alpha-2a) receptor directly. So they both work on NE but by different mechanisms.

What's also very interesting is that blocking the alpha-2 receptors (of which alpha-2a is a sub-type) diminishes the effect of Ritalin.

http://www.behavioralandbrainfunctions.com/content/1/1/2

Vickie
09-09-09, 03:06 PM
Immediate release guanfacine is an old mild blood pressure med which seemed to work for ADHD symptoms for about 6 hours. Shire's new med is an extended release form for once-a-day dosing.

My youngest was on guanfacine (the old immediate release form) alone and with a stimulant for about 4 years. The guanfacine helped with impulsivity, hyperactivity and somewhat with concentration. She did her best with the combo of guanfacine and a stimulant. We had to stop the guanfacine because when I was not home, she would not take it and the starting and stopping has the potential for blood pressure swings. We are re-evaluating treatment and may try the long release form.

hollywood
09-10-09, 02:08 PM
intuniv, is this any good ? Is it out and available now?

Momofadder
09-14-09, 04:19 PM
I don't want to be negative but my son takes it and has for years for a tic and to help him sleep.....I just picture a bunch of sleeping kids on this stuff.

Mincan
09-14-09, 05:26 PM
I would like to try it with the Dexedrine I am currently prescribed if it helps in cases with Tourette's and ADHD together (aka me).

I asked once before last August. Psychiatrist didn't even consider it although he appeared intrigued by my researching it and the things I wrote about it to him. I may try again asking for it to help with tics. Up until this point the increase in Tourette's (mostly sensations and brain energy build-up as well as tics) has been a necessary evil of taking a stimulant, but if it's not necessary than this is the point of such things. Either this or I'll suggest cannabis for the Tourette's.

Momofadder
09-18-09, 09:13 AM
It does work for tic's. My son had a nervous tic and was precsribed clonidine. It worked. He was taken off a couple of years later and when he started on ADD medicine it came back (the tic) so he is back on it again. He doesn't mind as it really helps with sleep.

Vickie
09-18-09, 01:34 PM
Both guanfacine and clonidine are use for tics. Clonidine is a bit more sedating but comes in a long acting form, and the short acting guanfacine had to be taken multiple times a day. Intuniv may be a good choice for long acting control of your tics.

hollywood
09-18-09, 03:43 PM
all i hear is people saying it makes them tired

Vickie
09-18-09, 04:25 PM
For my youngest, it did not make her tired after she got used to it. It does have a high amount of somnolence and sedation as a side effect so that will need to be watched for. From the package insert describing the clinical trial results:
"Somnolence and sedation were commonly reported adverse reactions in clinical studies (38% for INTUNIV™ vs. 12% for placebo) in children and adolescents with ADHD, especially during initial use [see Adverse Reactions (6.1)]."

Mincan
09-18-09, 05:56 PM
Perhaps that's why my Psychiatrist doesn't want me to use it (tired, less energy). As he believes I need a lot of stimulation to keep from being depressed and .. well ADHD I guess (or just "damaged goods").

bobC
12-02-09, 04:49 PM
Tenex has a long half life 18 hours on average even as much as 30 hours in some people. I found once per day dosing with tenex to be effective. Considering tenex is about 10 cents per milligram vs intuniv ~5 dollars for any dosage 1mg to 4mg. Intuniv its highly overpriced.

BobC

Trooper Keith
12-02-09, 06:10 PM
I believe you mean INTUNIV. For some reason they registered the name with the caps lock on.

Momofadder
12-03-09, 10:47 AM
Some only take it a bedtime.