View Full Version : My Goal: Do better in school

Wafflez
09-07-09, 11:29 PM
Well, i'm siting here *trying* to do homework while watching the Miami and FL State football game (I know I won't get anything done). While I was watching the game a random though popped into my head. "Why not browse add forums" so, that's what I do. I get on the computer and start browsing. While i'm browsing I have one of those nightly "I need to do better" conversations with myself and I have concluded that I need to have goals and while I don't mind sharing goals with people in real life, they won't hold me to them and I figure that I might be able to have better feedback/results with addforums.

Basically, I have really bad work ethic and now i'm where it really counts (10th grade) and I need to get in gear. I need to change my study habits and how I do work. I have a pretty lax schedule and really have 2 core classes a day and everything else is electives.

My question for anyone that wants to answer is how should I change. I know what I need to do, but how do I bring the motivation and make myself do it?

tl;dr (too long;didn't read)

1. I suck at making goals and need someone to help me keep the goals

2. I have bad work ethic and suck at school but need to do well the next 3 years (counting this year)

3. How do I change my work ethic?

Also, an off topic question. Do you think that it'd be beneficial for me to get Dxed? how would I be able to do it at my age (seeing how my parents don't play a huge role in my school work/life)?

W.

Trooper Keith
09-07-09, 11:35 PM
If you believe there's something psychiatrically wrong with you, it's always better to get it looked at. Don't go around looking for someone to Dx you with ADHD - go to someone competent, present your symptoms, and see what they say. It might not be ADHD, and that's ok.

How we can advise you to get help kinda depends on how old you are. Are you in high school? If you are, your school may have a counselor who can set you up with a psychologist or someone to do formal testing. You're going to need your parents to have your back on this if you do decide to get checked out.

Wafflez
09-07-09, 11:44 PM
How we can advise you to get help kinda depends on how old you are. Are you in high school? If you are, your school may have a counselor who can set you up with a psychologist or someone to do formal testing. You're going to need your parents to have your back on this if you do decide to get checked out.

Yeah. I'm in highschool. My parents don't really think I have it because they think that ADD is kids with hyperactivity and are immature. While i know i'm immature sometimes. Most older people think i'm mature for my age (might be because i've grown up with older siblings with older friends).

Anyway, my parents don't really play a huge role in my life. They kinda let me do what I want unless I mess up and get bad grades and stuff, they'll do the normal take the car away and stuff. I had a thread last year when one of my teachers had a meeting with my 'rents about the possibility of me having add and they immediately dismissed the idea. It's not a huge deal to me if I get dxed or not, i just want to do well for the next few years to get into a good college or get a good job out of high school.

Trooper Keith
09-07-09, 11:56 PM
Good jobs out of high school don't really exist, in my opinion. Plan to get yourself a degree.

Wafflez
09-08-09, 12:24 AM
Good jobs out of high school don't really exist, in my opinion. Plan to get yourself a degree.I thought about that but I don't know if that's for me to be honest. What I want to do doesn't really seam like college would be beneficial for me. I want to do photography or journalism.

Trooper Keith
09-08-09, 01:41 AM
You are not going to get good jobs as a journalist unless you've gone to a school of journalism, and your portfolio will be stronger as a photographer if you are a photography major (I have a cousin who just got his).

Michiko74
09-09-09, 01:32 PM
If you think you have ADHD, make sure you get some help to get a proper diagnosis. Also if your parents are having difficulty getting you assessed, I'd encourage you go to someone you do trust.

Good luck with your goals!

Wafflez
09-10-09, 12:14 AM
If you think you have ADHD, make sure you get some help to get a proper diagnosis. Also if your parents are having difficulty getting you assessed, I'd encourage you go to someone you do trust.

Good luck with your goals!
Thanks. I just don't know what to do. I'm kinda overwhelmed to be honest. I might just talk to my teachers and ask them to give me a bit of slack or something if they can.

I really hope I can do well but I find myself falling back into habits that die hard.

sunnych
09-10-09, 02:37 PM
Umm just be straight to your self. Make a strict routine like that time you got to do this that time you got to that.. and make your self to you.

Don't give up just make yourself to do it and you will do much batter.

Good luck with your goals..