View Full Version : What did you do today to declutter or clean the mess? Brag!

MarySun
09-08-09, 05:56 AM
There's a wonderful thread about ADD messiness/cluttering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71354

How about sharing the good things we have done toward making our spaces more liveable? I'm hoping your notes will help motivate me and others!

>>I usually keep up with things that could smell: dishes, trash, clean toilet and bathroom floor. I have a cat and his litter pan is clean. I use a swivel sweeper to get up his tracked litter. <<
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71354&page=2
I'm happy to report that I just did the dishes:D. I try to stick to the rule to empty and polish (armorall) my sink before going to work. That way, at least ONE thing in my house is okay. I just did that (yippee!) after piling over the weekend.

Meanwhile, there's still a lot of stuff on the counters.

Oh, also, I swivel-sweepered the bathroom (kitty litter) cuz I cannot stand litter on my feet, and I cleaned the toilet. And I finally put a trash can next to the computer, so I can immediately drop trash instead of having it all around the computer.

The rest of the house is pretty much shambles and piles, but I feel a little better.

Did YOU do anything today towards cleaning or decluttering?

Mary

stef
09-08-09, 08:26 AM
Very motiviating! well I am at work but I had a GREAT idea: get some kind of wicker or wood crate type things for the overflow of books and magazines. this is doable!
and now I'm motivated to do the dishes tonight when I get home.

Ratchit
09-08-09, 09:29 AM
yeah i left the house so i didnt have to look at it hehehehehe :) :) :)

silverstreams
09-08-09, 09:32 AM
It is too early for me to even THINK about cleaning, but I'm proud of what I did yesterday! I planned to clean the entire apartment, then started a mantra going in my head: 'One room at a time, one room at a time!' I focused on completely cleaning an entire room rather than picking up something from one room, wandering to another room, etc.

So I ended up washing dishes, doing laundry, wiping down countertops, washing the bathtub, toilet, sink and bathroom floor! And of course once I hyperfocused, I did tiny things like clean the toaster and organize the soaps in the bathroom. There are three messy rooms yet to be cleaned, but my clean kitchen and bathroom are totally relaxing and happy-making.

(How did I do it? I turned on music so loud that all my neighbors could hear it. But it helped me focus!)

gnbeg
09-08-09, 10:38 AM
I have used the "2 year rule" to get rid of unused items in my home office and clothes closet. If you haven't used something in the last 2 years, get rid of it. Of course there are exceptions, but I try to follow this rule. I still have way too much clutter though.

Vickie
09-08-09, 12:18 PM
I started meds a few months ago and since then I have been redoing my kitchen. The previous owner had painted the cabinets and brick white and over the last 14 years that had yellowed badly. I stripped the cabinets and bricks, then stained the cabinets and re-mortared the bricks. Now the counter top and sink looks so old.:rolleyes:

I have added drawers to some cabinets that I could never get to the back of. I put down new shelf paper and reorganized most of my cabinets.

I got rid of 2 cabinets worth of old tupperware containers that I don't use (I don't move things out of original packaging and into containers any more- that was a phase for me).

I got rid of items that we got for our wedding and either never used or rarely used. These things were from the mid 70's and were harvest gold!:eek:

Got rid of the pots and pans I never use (my sister in law was thrilled). When you buy a set, there are always ones that you never use, and these had collected at the back of the cabinets from 2 or 3 sets of pots and pans.

Got rid of the plastic storage bins of arts and crafts and a table and 4 chairs from when the kids were little. These really filled one wall of the kitchen.

I am stripping and refinishing the wood floor next. Then I will buy a kitchen island cart for the area where the kid's stuff had been. This will get me more counter space and help me get the big stuff out of my little pantry so I can organize it.

I am so happy that I can actually take on these projects and see them through rather than look at the room that has collected years worth of stuff and feel overwhelmed.:D I also do not feel that I have to do it all at once or not bother. YEAY!

JollyBadger
09-08-09, 01:03 PM
Well, a couple of weekends ago I was dog-sitting for my parents while they went out of town. Their dog is about eight months old - a Lab/Great Dane mix. I brought his x-pen/crate over to my place and set it up in the kitchen for him, along with a couple of bones and treats, while I went out for the afternoon. During that time, he managed to get out of the crate and go "Tasmanian Devil" on my apartment.

Part of his rampage included going upstairs to look out my front windows and pretty much shredding the blinds. I mean, the plastic slats were broken in two and just hanging there.

Finally, today, I completely took the blinds down and, if I really get motivated, I may run out and buy some energy-saver/sun-blocker curtains for those windows so that I don't feel like a fish in a bowl.

So, that's my accomplishment for the day. :cool:

MikeE11
09-08-09, 01:36 PM
I've mentioned this elsewhere and though this is something more general and can be used elsewhere. But I'm starting to think that a process like in the book "Getting Things Done" (David Allen) might just be built for folks with ADHD. Been procrastinating putting it all into place, but the parts I have done and use have helped me tremendously. I so wish I had this way of doing thing many years ago as I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in right now. I should search to see if someone else has already brought this topic up as I'd like to see how it works or might work with other adults who have ADHD.

Mike

MarySun
09-08-09, 03:37 PM
then started a mantra going in my head: 'One room at a time, one room at a time!' I focused on completely cleaning an entire room rather than picking up something from one room, wandering to another room, etc.

That's GREAT! One room is a terrific goal.

(How did I do it? I turned on music so loud that all my neighbors could hear it. But it helped me focus!)

Getting started is a motivator for me. Don't you feel good? That's one room down!
M

MarySun
09-08-09, 03:40 PM
I've mentioned this elsewhere and though this is something more general and can be used elsewhere. But I'm starting to think that a process like in the book "Getting Things Done" (David Allen) might just be built for folks with ADHD. Been procrastinating putting it all into place, but the parts I have done and use have helped me tremendously. I so wish I had this way of doing thing many years ago as I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in right now. I should search to see if someone else has already brought this topic up as I'd like to see how it works or might work with other adults who have ADHD.

Mike

I've bought that book . . . and, um . . . haven't read it yet. :)

MarySun
09-08-09, 03:41 PM
Finally, today, I completely took the blinds down and, if I really get motivated, I may run out and buy some energy-saver/sun-blocker curtains for those windows so that I don't feel like a fish in a bowl.

So, that's my accomplishment for the day. :cool:

Boy, you started with a rough challenge. Sounds like you are starting! Go for it!

MarySun
09-08-09, 03:43 PM
I am so happy that I can actually take on these projects and see them through rather than look at the room that has collected years worth of stuff and feel overwhelmed.:D I also do not feel that I have to do it all at once or not bother. YEAY!

Dang, that's a healthy attitude! I want to get where you are!

stef
09-08-09, 04:27 PM
I did some of the dishes, and some exercises.

MikeE11
09-08-09, 05:16 PM
I've bought that book . . . and, um . . . haven't read it yet. :)

Indeed, it is difficult to get started and going with ADHD.

FWIW, here's some more discussion on this process for those wondering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41402

MarySun
09-09-09, 03:58 AM
Indeed, it is difficult to get started and going with ADHD.

FWIW, here's some more discussion on this process for those wondering.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41402

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out. Indeed, STARTING is the whole key to all of this, including cleaning.

Hatiki
09-09-09, 09:28 AM
can't tell you how nice it is to find out I am not the only one with "housework" and "clutter" issues - love the two year rule - think I've got some bills that old - should i chuck 'em out yet? lol

Mincan
09-09-09, 02:30 PM
I do the dishes pretty much everyday... sometimes i feel like doing them for the joy i get from having a clean kitchen area, usually do the garbage and sweeping at the smae time. I also take care of the garbage and recycling. My lover makes the food usually unless i feel like something specific and will amek that for us, I also make us a sweetass breakfast on saturday mornings (instead of proselytising... yay.... . . . ...!) We usually take turns folding laundry and the only thing the babe has to do is clean the bathroom (not because I dont want to, Ive never been properly motivated I spose and forget my mother showing me how)... oh I also never make use of the TV... so i think i make pretty good not being the average lazy houseplant male... however i dont have a job and presently the babe does so its natural i want the house to be a nice place for her to come home to and blah blah blah all the reasons females will say the same thing... we are all the same if we look past the gender sterotypes... blah blah blah im gone.

golferguy
10-10-09, 02:48 PM
Cleaned out the closet and got rid of clothes I never wear. I packed up the shorts for the year and am rearranging my dresser. Getting laundry done in the process.

iggypop
10-10-09, 03:11 PM
Ok I'm giving my daughter a car so I cleaned it for the first time two years:eek: the vacuums at the car wash don't seem to suck as good as they used to.

Now I'm going to clean all the messy papers I have scattered all over the dining room table, this is a big chore for me because I am so abstract

EYEFORGOT
10-14-09, 01:35 PM
I switched over our spring/summer shoes/coats to the fall/winter ones; took inventory on boots, sneakers, hats and gloves to see what everyone needs. Swept out the bottom of the closet and the shelves. :)

wsmac
10-14-09, 11:52 PM
I mopped out the water that leaked into the back of my pickup (camper shell on board), and organized all the junk in the back of the truck so I could go pick up a pair of conga drums (really good price on Craigslist and I've always wanted to play conga drums :rolleyes: ), and a free old singer sewing machine someone was giving away on Craigslist!:p

Yep... I OrGranIzed my pickup truck so I could bring more unnecessary things to my DisoRgraNizeD house!

What a wonderful day this was.:D

AddaptAbilities
10-16-09, 01:40 AM
I didn't clean the house today, but I did clear the yard for the first time in far too long. It was completely overgrown with weeds. But in order to clear the weeds, I had to clean up all the %&$*#! palm fronds that got dropped all over the place. Then, I blogged about how much I hate palm trees, and recommend anyone with ADD who's into gardening to stay far, far away from them. Far away.

All this because someone is coming tomorrow to take care of a mouse problem. They're in the walls, not inside the house proper, which is a good thing at least. Rodents apparently love palms because they provide a lot of cover, so the fact that there are 4 different types squeezed into my yard could be an aggravating factor.

Stupid palm trees.