View Full Version : How to eat while I am on medications?

Fima
09-08-09, 03:22 PM
when I use ritalin, no matter how much I ate before I took it, after 2 hours or less I feel strong pain's in my stomach(cry for food), I walk toward food source and then I feel like I want to eat it, but when I put food in my mouth I get disgust, so I have to make my self to eat, and after 1 meal I allmost vomit 10 times:(, and that's not a good fealing...
I tried not to eat while on ritalin but my stomach hurts so much that I can't contrate+I am underweight so I have to eat...

hihowareyou
09-09-09, 05:57 PM
I'm not a doctor obviously, but try taking a multivitamin at night, they tend to make me hungry during the day for some reason.. worth a shot?

mytheory
11-20-09, 02:33 PM
Well I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the subject but have pretty extensive experience with this very problem. i'm 6'2 male and right now weigh a pathetic 153 pounds. I've been into weight training for years so I expect that my weight is going to be higher everytime I step on the scale. If I had to guess my body fat I would say 5%. i'm not at a real low or anything, it's kinda always been like this, but i've also kinda always been on meds either dexadrine (I used to take 30mgs xr when I was 13-14) or adderall (now taking 20mg ir).

So you are probably thinking wow thats a lot of text and he hasn't even said anything yet, well ok here goes.
Eating well and being medicated is very hard for some people, I am one of those people. Over the years I have found various ways to cope with it.

1) Take your time with your food. On speed you kinda just want to "get everything done now" but with food you really can't. especially if you mouth is dry. Focus on going bite by bite. It doesn't matter if it takes you an hour to eat a sandwhich, it's more important that you eat it. Chew a lot.

2) Eat a massive breakfast. I reccomend oatmeal, hah i'm eating it right now. I get those big tubs of quaker oats and I really swear by the stuff. Some mornings I eat up to 2 cups worth! Throw in some milk and thats about an 800 calorie breakfast. Once again, don't expect to eat it all at once. sit down at this site or something, give yourself time.

3) Have a drink with your food. This is probably not the best advice but when I can't eat sometimes what I will do is get a bag of almonds and a drink like an iced tea or something. I will throw those almonds in my mouth, chew em as much as I can bear, than chase it with the drink. It's less than ideal but it gets the food down there.

4) Force it down. Sometimes you just have to, I don't know what you like to do. Me, I like ciggeretts, unfortunatly, so I tell myself, if I finish this pb&j I really have no interest in I will get a cigerette at the end. kind of reward yourself for eating. even though I think biologically eating is supposed to be the reward.

5) *mj impression* Don't stop till you get enough! Don't buy lunch because you know you have to and than not eat but two bites, perservere, clear your plate!

now if only I could gain some weight myself i'd be happy. :rolleyes:

Werl
06-06-10, 05:11 AM
try having multiple snacks throughout the day.

barnops
06-06-10, 07:42 AM
I'm not a doctor obviously, but try taking a multivitamin at night, they tend to make me hungry during the day for some reason.. worth a shot?

And make sure you DO have some semblance of food in your stomach before taking the multi. I find myself getting sick if I take them on an empty stomach.

AlexaN
06-06-10, 08:32 AM
when I use ritalin, no matter how much I ate before I took it, after 2 hours or less I feel strong pain's in my stomach(cry for food), I walk toward food source and then I feel like I want to eat it, but when I put food in my mouth I get disgust, so I have to make my self to eat, and after 1 meal I allmost vomit 10 times:(, and that's not a good fealing...
I tried not to eat while on ritalin but my stomach hurts so much that I can't contrate+I am underweight so I have to eat...

Know what you mean...I try to eat a lot of fruit / vegetables, salad with things I like...not "heavy" meals that make you want to vomit.

Have this problem as I write, need to eat but everything disgusts me.