View Full Version : 1,000 books and still going strong...

Nucking_Futs
05-11-04, 08:34 PM
My DH and I used bribary to get our oldest to read. After a 1,000 books are read we took him to the library and he received his very first library card. We then took him and three of his closest friend's to a movie of choice and out for pizza to celebrate. So, you guessed it Lexi was not to be left out. I'm happy to report that as of last Sunday Lexi has read 1,005 books and will be getting her first library card and party in two weeks.

Does anyone else use bribary and how do you implement it and for what purpose's. You never know there might be a trick I'm missing.;)

Garry
05-11-04, 08:45 PM
Holy Poop

I am impressed at that 1000 books

Im 50 and have never read that many books

Nucking_Futs
05-11-04, 08:53 PM
OMG your kidding right?

Dakota hasn't done all that more then 1,000 but Lexi is a lot like me and can read a book a day. Her favorite's right now are Laura Ingall's books. Koda's are Richie and Archie comics luckily he's running out of those and will have to find something else.

krisp
05-11-04, 11:44 PM
I don't know how many books I read as a kid, but I'm sure it was in the thousands. I don't know whether my own kids will be that enthusiastic, but reading was a huge part of my life growing up.

Nucking_Futs
05-12-04, 09:22 AM
It's an escape module for me. I think that is why it has a lot of charm for Lexi as well. Koda is a lot like his dad he doesn't escape he just keep's butting his head against the same wall day in and day out. Hopefully, Garrett will be the in between child who can deal with reality while not killing off his imagination.

waywardclam
05-17-04, 10:38 AM
I think I read about 1000 books a year until I got out of school... then it went down to about 100.

As for bribery... well... my kid expects to be paid for everything now.. *sigh*

Nucking_Futs
05-18-04, 01:59 PM
*sigh* mine too

clawless
07-08-04, 05:08 PM
my john from a baby just loved books wanting to know what all the different stories were about

but he is finding it very hard to read by himself so i'm always encouraging him to have ago and read them with me, he tries so hard bless him

we have also just got john his own library card and hes so excited so much to choose from

i just love to escape into a good book myself and i hope that john will soon get that satifaction too

Nucking_Futs
07-09-04, 11:17 PM
I'm wondering how old your John is? My children had a hard time reading their stories and letting their minds sore with the stories...I have heard some parent's talk about letting their children tape themselves reading the stories that way at the end of the book during bedtime rituals the child can hear the story and let their minds drift...Not sure if this works but I think it would give them the much needed experiance reading out loud and keeping their imagination's active.

We have our kids read a few chapters then will read a few chapters to them right before bed. They get their reading time in and we can keep tabs on exactly what their reading...shhhh don't tell. lol

Your a person after my own heart clawless...I can't read enough.

clawless
07-10-04, 04:31 AM
John is 7 now Nuts

I have heard some parent's talk about letting their children tape themselves reading the stories that way at the end of the book during bedtime rituals the child can hear the story and let their minds drift...

That seems like a good idea i think i might give it a go - i think he would enjoy that and it would also help his reading - two birds with one stone great and i might get an extra 10 mins reading my book :D

Nucking_Futs
07-10-04, 07:07 PM
lol you can't beat that...let me know if it works...I think I could find extra money in the family budget for two new recorders lol

Wheezie
07-11-04, 11:21 PM
my daughter (7 yrs old) *loves* to read. looks like she's going to be a book worm just like i was. as a toddler, she'd grab my finger, lead me to the book shelf, pick out a book, then tell me to "sit, mama." as soon as i was cross-legged, she'd plop herself into my lap and open up a book. :)

books were also an escape for me as a child. nothing like going somewhere else just by picking up a book. my parent's never seemed to understand that i wasn't ignoring them when they called and i didn't answer. it's just that i wasn't there, how could i hear them???

anyway, the local library does a book program for summer. both kids read enough to fill the goal card up, it's just me that fails to get them to the library to turn in the cards. i better not miss the deadline this summer like i did last summer. after they read enough to fill 5 cards, they get to pick out a book!

gabriela
07-12-04, 05:37 AM
omg - i *loved* reading as a kid, and i *still* do!

i read absolutely *everything*, and if there weren't any books, i read off the milk cartons!
:D

i didn't have any friends when i was a child, so i found "friends in the litterature" instead...

when i was in the 7th or 8th grade (i was about 13-14 years old), i read maxim gorkij's (russian author) autobiographical trilogy, and although my teachers were all impressed by this, my class"mates" saw this as yet another reason for bullying me...
i didn't care so very much about the bullying, though, i was sort of happy with my books, and held on to the attitude of: "well, *excuse* me for being an intellectual!"
:p

Nucking_Futs
07-12-04, 09:08 AM
wheezie our library does the same kind of program...two words...car pool. The other parent's and I take turns hauling the kids back and forth.

gabriela my son is currently living your old nightmare...getting picked on for being an intellectual...it breaks my heart; but, after reading your post I also have a lot of hope that it will not affect his entire being. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

clawless
07-13-04, 07:16 AM
our library is quite far away from us, but to my surprise they have decided to send out a mobile one to our area and guess what, it stops just 5 mins down the road "oh how happy am i" :D

Nucking_Futs
07-13-04, 08:52 AM
lol you sound like me...The Bookmobile makes it's stop at the town cafe twice a week and I never miss a day...they also sign the kid's summer reading program cards so that I don't alway's have to drive 45 miles one way to get it down. We still like the trip to the library every weekend but sometimes especially in the winter it gets hard to make it.

clawless
07-13-04, 08:58 AM
Well Johns at school and vinnies at play school, so i have an hour to myself now - guess where I'm going now :D i want to check it out on my own first :D

Nucking_Futs
07-13-04, 09:01 AM
hey! no fair your kids are at school? Man, and I have to wait until August 25th.

clawless
07-13-04, 12:46 PM
:( only one day left for vinnie and 2 left for john then its the summer hols and they wont go back till 8 sept so the will have plenty of time to drive me crazy :D

FlakeyGirl
07-13-04, 12:51 PM
Mine go back Aug 19...Good luck and God bless, claw!

Nucking_Futs
07-13-04, 01:04 PM
Ya know I feel a little better lol

gabriela
07-13-04, 05:35 PM
gabriela my son is currently living your old nightmare...getting picked on for being an intellectual...it breaks my heart; but, after reading your post I also have a lot of hope that it will not affect his entire being. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.aaawww...
:(
kids can be so *cruel*...
:mad:
i survived the bullying, and i feel that because of it, i'm a *stronger* person than most of the people i went to school with...
i spent so much time alone, and had a lot of time to think about/figure out things...
what i'm trying to say is that thanks (sic!) to the fact that i was a loner, i now feel that i *know* myself better than most people know themselves, and this is something which is *very* empowering!!!
:cool:
tell your son "hi!" from me!

take care,

gabriela

FlakeyGirl
07-13-04, 05:45 PM
gabriela my son is currently living your old nightmare...getting picked on for being an intellectual...it breaks my heart; but, after reading your post I also have a lot of hope that it will not affect his entire being. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
I will have to second that, gabriela. You seem very cool and well adjusted.

Futs, we will have to get our kids together at some point, I bet they would have a ball.

Nucking_Futs
07-14-04, 03:09 PM
I will and I almost died laughing I think we have the same hair dresser.

clawless
08-14-04, 05:58 AM
Just thought i'd let you know the mobile library is GREAT for me and John. :)

They registered John into The Reading Rollercoaster which is The National Reading Challenge In Libraries.

He didn't even have to go to the main Library to join which was great,

Each time he checks out books he has to choose one that was his favourite and make it his Star Attraction Book and fill it in his little folder and each time he completes one he gets more stickers (and he just loves stickers)

So hopefully we will fill it all in by the end of the hols because if he wants to finish his rollercoaster ride (and he does) he will have to keep on reading :D

LoveMyGirls
08-16-04, 09:48 PM
My oldest daughter reads so much she used to worry that the library would run out of books for her to read! lol It's definitely an escape for her, too. I hope it continues, she's learned SO much from reading books, which compensates for her difficulties in school.

I hope my younger daughter starts to love books as much as her big sister!

Maureen

Conlaw
08-17-04, 08:41 AM
I love to read, but I finally gave up on the library. I just couldn't afford all the late fines and lost book charges :( .

How do you do it? Keep track of your library books and then get them back to the library on time (anything less than a month late is on time to me)?

We live in a small town and I just couldn't stand the "looks" of the nasty, gossipy library workers. Susan

clawless
08-17-04, 10:50 AM
We try and only pick a couple at a time now as its easier to cope with, and then we have plenty of time to read them and not worry about finishing them all by the due date as when we used to get loads out at once you could guarantee that they were not all read (to much choice)

then it makes another nice trip out again come around a lot sooner :)

Conlaw
08-17-04, 08:04 PM
Hi Clawless, I will have to give the library another try. In the past I have always checked out the maximum number of books. It's so hard to decide! But I can see how checking out one or two at a time would be more manageable, and give me an excuse to spend more time at the library. Thanks, Susan

Nucking_Futs
08-17-04, 09:10 PM
clawless I am so glad the mobile library is working out great for you and when the summer reading program ends you can alway's start one of your own if your school does not participate in one. We make a worm for each kid that winds it's way around our house lol it's quite a sight and after so many books they get rewards it keeps the urge to read strong.

Lovemygirls we give extra reading points if the books are read out loud especially to younger siblings. Not only is it an insentive sp? to read but also puts an end to the classroom reading our son used to get so nervous you'd think he couldn't read.

Conlaw we only check out two or three books a piece and both everyone has their own book bag we bought at walmart and they decorate it with pictures and paints anyway they choose. The books go immediatly into the bags that are on pegs by the door the due date for the books is on a big print off with a list of all books checked out. The clue is only check out one or two and your usually done with them far before their due date and need to go back...the hardest part for us was keeping track of all the books thats the reasoning behind the bags and lists and the hooks are like .50 for 3 at walmart.

yes I know I should just get me a job as a walmart greeter already lmbo Good luck everyone!!